Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman R on R-Compound Tires - does the suspension hold up?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cayman R on R-Compound Tires - does the suspension hold up?

Tried the 987 forum but didn't have any luck.

Does anyone have experience with the stock Cayman R suspension on R Compounds? I'm wondering if the extra grip causes excessive lean in the car under cornering load, etc.

Thank you.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you run a moderate R tire the car will perform just fine with stock suspension. Even on a set of Hoosiers you can adjust the suspension to be pretty good without a complete re-tune.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Ajjra
Pro

Originally Posted by bobt993
If you run a moderate R tire the car will perform just fine with stock suspension. Even on a set of Hoosiers you can adjust the suspension to be pretty good without a complete re-tune.
Thanks.

I didn't realize that the suspension was adjustable at all. Or are you referring to changing the sway bars or a simple alignment?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:35 AM
KS-CS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know 2 guys with CRs (one runs on Hoosiers) and the only suspension mod was to the front suspension to get more negative camber than stock. One has camber plates, the other has RSS LCAs - they both seem to handle great with their stock suspension (which is a bit stiffer than the Cayman S).
Old 02-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Per earlier post, you will want to maximize negative camber particularly in the front but more in the rear can't hurt. The adjustment at the front is made by loosening the 3 bolts at the top of each struct and moving them in their slotted holes to the most inboard position. You may only get about -.8 degrees which is not really enough. GT3 or RSS lower control arms are the way to go. In the rear, camber is adjusted by an eccentric screw and you can probably get at least -2. No after market parts needed here. Toe must be adjusted after setting camber. Zero toe in the front and 1/16" total in the rear is a good place to start.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In other words. Take the car to get an alignment from a shop that understands that you want to maximize the car's performance at a track day using R compound rubber.

Unless you plan to turn your CR into a regular track weapon that is all you need. If the latter, then install the 2 part Lower Control Arms (LCA) from either the GT3 or RSS. RSS is actually a nicer product and cheaper. You want these minimally up front in order to be able to obtain anything greater than -1 degree of negative camber. As stated, the stock rear is not camber limited.

However, if this is your first time to the track....leave it stock and on street rubber. Your instructor will thank you. !!!!!
Old 02-05-2012, 01:12 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but has anyone heard of engine failures on the Cayman R with track activity? Older models have oil starvation on long left hand turns. Does the R have dry sump?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Originally Posted by KS-CS
I know 2 guys with CRs (one runs on Hoosiers) and the only suspension mod was to the front suspension to get more negative camber than stock. One has camber plates, the other has RSS LCAs - they both seem to handle great with their stock suspension (which is a bit stiffer than the Cayman S).
That's great information, thank you.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Per earlier post, you will want to maximize negative camber particularly in the front but more in the rear can't hurt. The adjustment at the front is made by loosening the 3 bolts at the top of each struct and moving them in their slotted holes to the most inboard position. You may only get about -.8 degrees which is not really enough. GT3 or RSS lower control arms are the way to go. In the rear, camber is adjusted by an eccentric screw and you can probably get at least -2. No after market parts needed here. Toe must be adjusted after setting camber. Zero toe in the front and 1/16" total in the rear is a good place to start.
Hard to believe that's all you can get dialed in with stock parts - not even -1 up front, geez...
Old 02-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Originally Posted by Paul 996

However, if this is your first time to the track....leave it stock and on street rubber. Your instructor will thank you. !!!!!
Haha, seriously. I've been tracking my car for 10 years.

How much are the control arms roughly?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Stable Energies sells the RSS part for $950 per set. I'd estimate labor at 2-3 hours plus alignment.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Stable Energies sells the RSS part for $950 per set. I'd estimate labor at 2-3 hours plus alignment.
Thanks. Bob at SE has actually done some custom work for me in the past so that's good to know.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:58 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajjra
Hard to believe that's all you can get dialed in with stock parts - not even -1 up front, geez...
Can't you slot the mounts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cayman R on R-Compound Tires - does the suspension hold up?