Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Recommend driving school-drive your own car? (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/676173-recommend-driving-school-drive-your-own-car.html)

Deadeye 01-21-2012 10:35 AM

Recommend driving school-drive your own car?

Any drivers schools in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic that allow you to drive your own car this coming spring? Looking for 2 or 3 days of coaching/ driving.

nshanny 01-21-2012 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Deadeye (Post 9204410)
Any drivers schools in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic that allow you to drive your own car this coming spring? Looking for 2 or 3 days of coaching/ driving.

Hey Dennis! Great question. I am sure you saw that Bertil Roos has a 1 day program, but I agree, I would like 2 to 3days, ideally somewhere warmish and sometime in March.

How is the car?

mglobe 01-21-2012 10:48 AM

PCA DE?

Veloce Raptor 01-21-2012 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by mglobe (Post 9204439)
PCA DE?

+1

CCA 01-21-2012 12:09 PM

FSR-PCA has their Spring DE on VIR-Full coming up May 18-20. Great track, good time of the year, and good folks.

Gary R. 01-21-2012 12:13 PM

Limerock in April, use the PCA instructor or hire a (PCA/Region approved) private coach.

buckwheat987 01-21-2012 12:27 PM

Several options depending on experience...

PCA DE (1-3 days)
Bertil Roos (1 day)
David Murray track Days ( 2 days, advanced drivers)
NASA NE (2 usually)

Potomac-Greg 01-22-2012 11:21 AM

PCA, Audi Club, BMWCCA. Also check the schedules of the "private" HPDE companies like Trackdaze.

Streak 01-22-2012 01:46 PM

Don't know your experience but spending a lot of money for coaching if you are a 0/0 green driver may not be the best way to spend your money.

PCA DE (or other car club) for a few hundred dollars is a screaming bargain.

If you are fairly experienced looking for the next level it may be worth it.

Another way to go is get a few guys like yourself, find an open track day and hire a guy like VR or get a guy like VR for yourself. Open track days can easily equate to 2 days of DE track time or more.

Mike K. 01-22-2012 02:54 PM

I like the zone 2 pca event at Vir
AS well, the tarheels BMW chapter run a great event in March at Vir.
I think a Mazda runs an event there too.
Until mid to end of March you don't want to run much north of VIR

brownan 01-22-2012 02:56 PM

In addition to PCA, Audi Club runs great events. They have two day events at LRP, NJMP and two at WGI. Also check out SCDA.

KaiB 01-22-2012 03:12 PM

Another way to go is get a few guys like yourself, find an open track day and hire a guy like VR or get a guy like VR for yourself. Open track days can easily equate to 2 days of DE track time or more.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm amazed more don't take advantage of these opportunities.

Get in tough with the track of choice, get to know a few folks, a local coach or two and you'll be in the loop. It's absolutely amazing what a day can do for you, much less a season with, say, five or six days spaced out throughout.

Deadeye 01-22-2012 04:34 PM

PCA white group, so experienced but not advanced (yet) . I've had some very good instructors from NCR and NER clubs but now solo and looking for a little more. It's hard to grab an instructor that's not busy at a DE. There are a few of my buds that would be looking at this so an open track day with a coach sounds pretty good.

Deadeye 01-22-2012 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by nshanny (Post 9204424)
Hey Dennis! Great question. I am sure you saw that Bertil Roos has a 1 day program, but I agree, I would like 2 to 3days, ideally somewhere warmish and sometime in March.

How is the car?

Hi Nick, tough day today. Had to put my dog down. Maybe the Pats can win win for a little cheering up. Car is just getting off season maintenance. That gearbox fiasco last year was a budget killer.

Veloce Raptor 01-22-2012 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Streak (Post 9207377)
Don't know your experience but spending a lot of money for coaching if you are a 0/0 green driver may not be the best way to spend your money.

PCA DE (or other car club) for a few hundred dollars is a screaming bargain.

If you are fairly experienced looking for the next level it may be worth it.

Agreed...and thanks for the kind words, H.

Originally Posted by Deadeye (Post 9207959)
Hi Nick, tough day today. Had to put my dog down. Maybe the Pats can win win for a little cheering up. Car is just getting off season maintenance. That gearbox fiasco last year was a budget killer.

Very sorry for your loss, Dennis. :(