Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIM Smarty Cam vs. Smarty GP (bullet) Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 04:43 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I must have missed the beginning of the lesson...where are the links to the video footage??

Do you have to pre set the 2x zoom before you go out for that session?
Old 02-04-2012, 06:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I must have missed the beginning of the lesson...where are the links to the video footage??

Do you have to pre set the 2x zoom before you go out for that session?
No links, just a screen grab of a SC on the left and a SC GP on the right in #1 and a SC GP 1X on the left, 2X on the right in #6.

Yes, zoom is in SmartyCam "Settings" (under "Menu") and can't be changed on the fly.

From a (self) coaching perspective, I MUST be able to see the wheel and a little of the helmet. One of the major reasons for having video in the first place!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-06-2012, 09:47 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Guys

I just returned from 5 days at Sebring. It was weird that many of the cars with AIM seemed to be sporadically loosing GPS signals, thus no lap times. I saw it on at least 5 cars.

In regards to running two Smarty Cams, I was told by two AIM experts that this does not work because of CAN being confused with two destinations. In my test mentioned earlier, I used the regular SC and the new SC GP. They were quite surprised that this worked, so be aware if you try using two units of the same model.

A learned a few things this weekend. First, one of my drivers mounted his regular SC at 90 degrees, that's with the screen on the side. I was surprised to see that the video was oriented correctly on playback. Good news for the cameras mounted on the roll bar, it makes it much easier to see the screen and run the control buttons. Second, I used the Memory Key for the first time. This is an excellent way to make downloading easier, no struggling reading the screen in bright sunlight, just remove the key and plug it into the laptop. http://www.aim-sportline.com/pages/c..._memorykey.htm The third item is that I did my first install of the SOLO DL using CAN on a 996 GT 3. AIM's CAN document says that the can wire is LT Blue/White and grey/white, in fact the wires were blue and grey with no white tracers. I was able to find the wires beside the fuse box in the driver footwell, so that saves removing the passenger seat to get at the ECU plus it is a much neater install.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by amso3
Guys

I just returned from 5 days at Sebring.

A learned a few things this weekend. First, one of my drivers mounted his regular SC at 90 degrees, that's with the screen on the side. I was surprised to see that the video was oriented correctly on playback. Good news for the cameras mounted on the roll bar, it makes it much easier to see the screen and run the control buttons.

<snip>

AIM's CAN document says that the can wire is LT Blue/White and grey/white, in fact the wires were blue and grey with no white tracers. I was able to find the wires beside the fuse box in the driver footwell, so that saves removing the passenger seat to get at the ECU plus it is a much neater install.
Great news on both! That 90 degrees is going to make life a LOT easier for many of my installs.

One quick question. Have you gotten corresponding data (.drk) files from a DL (or MXL/EVO) on the SmartyCam MicroSD yet?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Sheesh Jerry, i've been extolling the virtues of the memory key to you for three years!!!

Also, the storage is redundant so if you accidentally delete something from the memory key it's still in the AIM head for quite some time (until it gets overwritten). That's great about the SC mounting, it's a bitch cramming myself in there to see the buttons or the screen. Does the screen show the view in the correct orientation while adjusting it's position too?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:56 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Does the screen show the view in the correct orientation while adjusting it's position too?
It does when you hang the camera upside down, IIRC.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
It does when you hang the camera upside down, IIRC.
Thanks Peter, I'll have to try it when I bring my car in, it must have a gyro in it and when it gets to a certain angle it corrects back to horizontal..
Old 03-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Peter! ...hey Jerry, it's been years since we've chatted.

I JUST assembled my SmartyCam GP last night (dining room table) and got it all going...had a few questions:

1 - is there a nice bracket to mount the video display/control module with anywhere? Or am I relegated to a BIG piece of velcro to the transmission tunnel?

2 - will this thing run off it's own battery for the upcoming weekend or does it need the AIM MXL dash for power? It keeps shutting off while I'm playing around with it, it's charged...wondering if it needs to be "moving" so GPS thinks it needs to continue recording?

Peter, will see you this weekend at VIR...it's NASA TIME!!
Old 03-18-2012, 06:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
Hey Peter! ...hey Jerry, it's been years since we've chatted.

I JUST assembled my SmartyCam GP last night (dining room table) and got it all going...had a few questions:

1 - is there a nice bracket to mount the video display/control module with anywhere? Or am I relegated to a BIG piece of velcro to the transmission tunnel?

2 - will this thing run off it's own battery for the upcoming weekend or does it need the AIM MXL dash for power? It keeps shutting off while I'm playing around with it, it's charged...wondering if it needs to be "moving" so GPS thinks it needs to continue recording?

Peter, will see you this weekend at VIR...it's NASA TIME!!
Big piece of Velcro, Jeff! Although I'm sure you'll come up with something more bespoke with time! <grin> It's nice and small, most of all FLAT on the bottom.

The battery typically will run four hours, IME. If you plug it into the CAN output from the MXL, it will charge the battery and run it that way, too.

Typically, when you plug it into the MXL (or Solo DL, EVO3 or EVO4), it automatically runs as a a "slave" and fires up with power, beginning to record with a tach signal. If it's functioning in a standalone (master) configuration, you'll need to set the "Acceleration Strategy" to start it with G's. For a track car, I set it as "Accel Threshold High."

It has an automatic recording shutdown after a certain amount of time that you can set (I use 1 minute) and then it has an automatic power down after a time you set (I set for 15 minutes).

See you Friday.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:16 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love mine! the new Smarty cam is awesome
Old 03-18-2012, 08:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 930man
i love mine! the new SmartyCam GP is awesome
Old 03-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, the GP setup is impressive so far, just need to save up a few more bones to get a dash so I can have the whole "suite"...that'll be sweet!

Yup, see you Friday Peter...got to get this Cayman rollin' harder over the weekend.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:25 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone having issues with their smartycam(tied into a Pista) intermittently not recording? 2 of 6 sessions didn't record this past weekend, I'm getting really frustrated with it.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:07 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Greg, sorry to hear of your difficulties.

Most common causes for intermittent recordings are:

a) firmware mismatches, make sure both are using the latest release. The SC has several versions in the package (1.03.10) for each function (GPS, background loading and communications protocols). The Pista, too. (14.86.56). They were released in November and September, respectively.

b) older software mismatches. Make sure you have Race Studio 2 2.45.02 This edition has the latest commands to have the dash configuration tell the camera what to do with the greatest accuracy and reliability. Latest GPS info, too. SmartyManager 1.06.00, just released last month, has incorporated all of the functions of GPS Manager, no need for that anymore).

c) make sure your tach signal is good and reliable to the dash, that is the trigger to record.

d) make sure power is steady to the camera and the both the recording and power off time-outs are set correctly on the camera.

e) try a different make/model of microSD card in the camera. It's sensitive to that.

f) give it time to boot up and verify what part is not working (power to the cam? recording trigger not happening if power on every time?)

g) CAN hub connection issues, if you incorporate one in your installation.

I've been on a rocket ship of a learning curve with this system (the SmartyCam and various master unit combinations (Solo DL, MXL and Evo) after avoiding this level of power and relative complexity compared to the other equipment I've sold for nearly a decade), but it's not been too bad and it's awesome stuff!

Thanks to the great resources and support of value-added dealers like Jerry (amso3) and Joe Hulett, as well as in-house staff Josh, Chad, Devan and Mike at AiM Sports (the US importer and distributors), John Block at Auto-Ware (the best online training to learn how to use this great software) and Roger Caddell (AiM Technical Education), between us all, there are enough of these out in the field and working well that I know it's a winning combination. That is, if everything is installed with reliable info and power feeds and set up correctly.

Good luck!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:24 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Greg

Just wondering if you we getting data and lap times on the Pista for the sessions that did not record. I had similar issues a month ago. What version Smarty Camera are you using (what is it marked inside the door for the card). Are you running 01.03.10 firmware in the SC? I have been thinking of reloading 01.03.06 (the prior version) if I have trouble again this weekend at Sebring.

Hi Jeff

I have been mounting the box for the GP on a second roll bar mount using an aluminum adapter I made which uses the 4 screw holes on the back. This way you can tip the box horizontal to mess with the card, but put it vertical to view the screen and use the buttons.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: AIM Smarty Cam vs. Smarty GP (bullet) Test