MoTeC introduces club day track dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 07:00 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
more than a used Boxster.
Crap! Saying that, at least your used Boxters are a realistic price...not like us.
Did you go for the ADL over the SDL for all the extras or wasn't the SDL available then? I went for the SDL in that it could still do quite a few functions but was a lot cheaper than the ADL. Hoping I don't regret it.

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
That's unfortuante. Would be really nice if they could bring it in within earshot of the 5 or so other choices like that.
If' they're really $2k in the US then I would imagine that they'll be not so far above the others if you buy them from here?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

We use all the extras and my friends and mechanics have used them for years on pro racing so it makes the data much easier to compare to the vast database they have.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would be interested in seeing the AUS price for the club dash logger....

Cheers
Old 12-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Brinkley
Pro

A contact of mine was at the PRI (National After Market) show in Orlando that started yesterday and runs through Sunday. She stated MoTeC or a U.S. dealer hand them "for around 2k".
Old 12-03-2011, 12:39 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
I think I saw something on a Supra forum last night (Google search) mentioning 2K without logging.
Welcome to MoTeC. Add-on licenses to expand capabilities are extra.

The CDL3 is a dash, not a logger. You must pay extra for that capability.

Perhaps Neel at Apex can chime in. He's the most experienced with MoTeC that I know of, but this is going to be a tough sell.

I'm already getting grief from EVO3 and MXL owners fussing about how capable and competent the Solo line is... At a bargain price! What do people say about technology? Wait a while and you get twice as fast, twice as much storage for half the price...

Still think Traqmate, Video VBOX and Race-Keeper are really nice systems for the DE and entry-level Club Race driver.

With the addition of the Solo DL/SmartyCam combo, there are now four ~$1800 systems (just that I sell, I'm sure there are more out there) that combine useful, easy to configure and use vide and data combination. An most folks need GPS and video.

Here at Sebring this weekend, I've seen six cars that have MoTeC, a dozen with AiM, about three dozen with Traqmate, three or four with Video VBOX lite and one with Race-Keeper. YMMV.

Excited to learn more about the CDL3.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-03-2011, 08:57 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

I found the site that has the prices, which are below. The one thing I would add is that in my opinion, the Motec software is far superior to any others I've used. I currently have a Racepak logger, and the software looks like it was built circa 1995 on Windows 3.1. Yes it works, but its not very slick. Motec on the other hand is far easier to use and has more advanced features like math channels. A motec system can also be used to control functions like a trans cooler, as it has the ability to do outputs. Or your could use an output to turn on a LED when the entry speed of a certain corner was reached; that's darn cool. Yes, there are cheaper alternatives out there, but Motec has small features that make the overall experience better. It's kind of like our beloved Porsches; if you want price to performance, you're better off buying a Corvette. Full disclosure, I don't own a Motec system, but really would like too!

Basic unit: $1,906
Accessory kit: $463
8MB Memory: $406
OBDII Adapter: $89
Trem'd CDL3 Base Harness: $257
I/O Expansion Loom: $264
2 Button Loom: $102
Additional 12 inputs/outputs: 463

http://www.t1racedevelopment.com/ind...s/cdl3-bl.html

Old 12-03-2011, 09:49 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacific Western Performance
Would be interested in seeing the AUS price for the club dash logger....

Cheers
If I find out I'll come back. Shouldn't take too long.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Brinkley
Pro

38D, you said it best above. You don't need MoTeC as there are less expensive systems on the market.

But after having MoTeC engine management and Dash with Data for 2-4 years now, I can't see myself changing. The software is what makes it so nice to use and the expandability to measure anything your mind can think of and your wallet can afford. It can be done with MoTeC.

That said, I tell all my friends who race, if you don't want to crunch data after every session or spend serious time review and learning from your data don't go crazy and spend 5 figures on MoTeC! The other entry level systems do the basics and you can learn from them.

Last edited by Brinkley; 01-26-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The MoTeC ADL/2 in my car was 11k when I installed it. MoTeC has never meant to be the cheapest, or even compete with the cheapest data systems. As Colin said, it is the software that makes it stand out. I've been a MoTeC dealer for nearly 20 years and their products have always been top notch and designed for pro racing, not necessarily the basic "club" car. I also don't think there is a single data manufacturer that as as integrated a product line as MoTeC with the analysis software that is engineering based. I did one 993 Turbo that had engine, electircal and data products from MoTeC and it was probably over 40k including a full car wire harness.

I'm glad to see them have an entry level product, it will hopefully work out for you guys.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Neel Apex
Track Day

Default MOTEC CDL3

Welcome to MoTeC. Add-on licenses to expand capabilities are extra.

The CDL3 is a dash, not a logger. You must pay extra for that capability.

Perhaps Neel at Apex can chime in. He's the most experienced with MoTeC that I know of, but this is going to be a tough sell.

I'm already getting grief from EVO3 and MXL owners fussing about how capable and competent the Solo line is... At a bargain price! What do people say about technology? Wait a while and you get twice as fast, twice as much storage for half the price...
Now that I've had a chance to review it, I actually like the CDL3 quite a bit and I think its fits in well in the world of data logging. Price & feature wise, it bridges the gap between the AIM line and MOTEC's dashes very well. For $2990 you can get the dash, 8MB memory upgrade, 10Hz GPS, shift light module, buttons and harness. It has the power of the MOTEC hardware that I really like; they have not watered it down. I2 is among the best analysis software in the business, and there's a sophistication and power behind it that only MOTEC has. It works with MOTEC's excellent video sync so there's lots of room to grow.

Of course, its more expensive than the AIM dashes. And MXL Strada with GPS goes for about $2500, the MOTEC with equivolent features goes for about $1000 more. Apples to Apples, the AIM gives you more inputs & outputs for the money, but the MOTEC is an amazingly powerful tool when it comes to CAN features, user conditions, sensor setup and more. If you have a CAN OBD-II car (2002+) both dashes integrate even more brilliantly thanks to their simple harnesses.

I'd recommend that if you're looking at the top of the AIM line, you might want to stretch a bit and get the MOTEC. You won't regret it. However, realize that an AIM EVO4 with an MXL Dash (they just released this at PRI, same $2099 as the Pista) will give most users 90% of the capability for a lot less.

We carry all of these dashes; I'm going to try and put up a comparison test soon.

-Neel
Old 12-04-2011, 11:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Neel, the CDL3 only includes the limited functionality of i2, not access to the full features of i2 Pro. At least the AiM Race Studio 2 is full featured for everything from the Solo to the EVO3 Pro. No question, MoTeC (especially the i2 Pro analysis software) is the gold standard, Jorge Segers convinced me of that, but as you pointed out, an EVO 4 with the display only MXL dash with Race Studio is an awfully strong competitor.

I just wished people could/would use more of the capability of these great systems. Looking forward to your comparison tests!
Old 12-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

We got a CDL3 for our Boxster ST car a few weeks ago. We "bench tested" the system, and the capability is amazing. Motec and i2 are much more reliable then AIM in our experience, and with the CDL3 price point, it was clearly the better choice for our Continental challenge car. The continuity with the Cup cars is also a huge bonus.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:43 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Adam@Autometrics
The continuity with the Cup cars is also a huge bonus.
That's the greatest benefit for shops, support crews and coaches. Common data protocols and capabilities help a great deal across platforms and drivers.

This is clearly a great offering from MoTeC. I've found that all the companies have improved their reliability and capability while lowering the price points continually, especially lately.

The AiM GPS used to suck, but now it's pretty good. At least as good as MoTeC's first generation 10 Hz system.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:43 AM
drdrank
Racer

Aim Pista or Motec CDL3?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Neel Apex
For $2990 you can get the dash, 8MB memory upgrade, 10Hz GPS, shift light module, buttons and harness. It has the power of the MOTEC hardware that I really like; they have not watered it down. I2 is among the best analysis software in the business.

MXL Strada with GPS goes for about $2500, the MOTEC with features goes for about $1000 more. If you have a CAN OBD-II car (2002+) both dashes integrate even more brilliantly thanks to their simple harnesses.

Realize that an AIM EVO4 with an MXL Dash (they just released this at PRI, same $2099 as the Pista) will give most users 90% of the capability for a lot less.
-Neel
There are three different MXL dashes. Strada (no logging), Pista (logging) and Pro (more channels, more powerful, more durable connectors). Can't recommend the Strada for anything other than street car dash replacements. Most folks use the Pista and are happy with it. Only major pro or International guys might use the Pro and at that point, the MoTeC ADL might be a preferred option.

Spreadsheet with features/costs is here:
http://www.aimsports.com/products/mxl-chooser.html

For $2999, you can get an MXL Pista with a SmartyCam video solution (and add the SC's GPS functionality) with equivalent logging capacity.

Originally Posted by drdrank
Aim Pista or Motec CDL3?
The MoTeC is attractive due to i2 software and expandability with video options integrated into the analysis software. Not only are there the MoTeC video options, but the ChaseCam DIVA and now Race-Keeper offers tight integration with the MoTeC CDL3.

The AiM is a better deal, IMO. Please check the AiM ECU interface list to learn exactly what is logged for your particular application here: http://aim-sportline.com/pages/downl...ation_ecus.htm

Last edited by ProCoach; 04-20-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Quick Reply: MoTeC introduces club day track dash