Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dan Wheldon's funeral this Saturday in St. Petersburg - public welcome to attend

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:58 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts
Default Dan Wheldon's funeral this Saturday in St. Petersburg - public welcome to attend

If you are in the area, the family has invited the general public to attend.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humanin...7792?SUNDAYYYY

ST. PETERSBURG — The family of two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dan Wheldon will hold the British race car driver's funeral on Saturday here in his adopted hometown.

And they're inviting the public to attend.

The funeral will be held at 10 a.m. at the First Presbyterian Church, 701 Beach Drive NE., Wheldon's wife, Susie, announced Thursday. In her statement, she also thanked the public for the outpouring of support since her husband's death on Oct. 16.

"Dan touched the lives of many people, and I would like to invite those citizens in our community who knew and loved my husband to attend his funeral service," she said. "Though we won't be able to fit everyone inside, I know that Dan would have wanted the community to share in the celebration of his life and to grieve his passing."

The 33-year-old race car driver and father of two was killed in a 15-car crash at the IndyCar season finale at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Wheldon was born in England but came to live in St. Petersburg with his wife and their sons, 2-year-old Sebastian and 7-month-old Oliver.

Wheldon, who won the Grand Prix of St. Petersburg in 2005, was also honored at Thursday's City Council meeting. State Rep. Rick Kriseman, D-St. Petersburg, delivered the invocation.

"We celebrate Dan's life and what he meant to the community and his family," Kriseman said. "May the memories of Dan be joyful."

City Council Chairman Jim Kennedy read a resolution recalling Wheldon's legacy here: "Dan loved this city, and would often say that while he could live anywhere in the world, he chose St. Petersburg to raise his kids."

The family also announced the establishment of the Dan Wheldon Family Trust Fund. Contributions can be sent in care of the trust fun to: Fifth Third Private Bank; 251 North Illinois St., Suite 1000; Indianapolis, IN 46204.

Instead of flowers, the Wheldon family asked that donations be made to the trust fund or to the Alzheimer's Association (www.alz.org).

Those who wish to extend condolences to the family can do so at: The Wheldons; 9600 Koger Blvd. N, Suite 105; St Petersburg, FL 33702.

IndyCar will hold also hold a public memorial service at 4 p.m. Sunday at Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if I were in the area, I'm not sure I could bring myself to go. I would almost feel like I was intruding into something intimate and private.

Not to mention the fact that I would be sobbing my eyes out. I don't think I have cried that hard since I first heard about Colin McRae's helicopter crash.
Old 11-25-2023, 09:31 AM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 110 Posts

Perhaps the admins could lock this thread and ban this user (connortem)?
The following 2 users liked this post by Glyndellis:
ProCoach (11-25-2023), stownsen914 (11-25-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 10:17 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyndellis
Perhaps the admins could lock this thread and ban this user (connortem)?
???What???
Old 11-26-2023, 10:20 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Thread is 12 years old.
Old 11-26-2023, 01:03 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,202 Posts

WTF?? 2011?

How did this get back up here? and why?....
Old 11-26-2023, 01:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
WTF?? 2011?

How did this get back up here? and why?....
Spammy comment posted. Since removed by the mods.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Dan Wheldon's funeral this Saturday in St. Petersburg - public welcome to attend