Sponsored by:

Towing Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 11:45 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Towing Stuff

Gentleman/Gurus/Towmasters- part II
I can't seem to find the info when I do a thread search, but a while ago, I read in here about a leaf spring bump stop, made of polyrazzmatazz, that you install on the leaf spring to prevent too much rear drop. I remember reading that this is an altenative to adding additional leaf spring(s). Sound familiar?
Thankx, in advance, again.
R\
Scott
Old 10-02-2011, 12:24 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't know if an extra bump stop would work...but you always could add air springs.....so your empty ride quality is the same...then just pump them up as needed when towing!
Old 10-02-2011, 12:37 PM
JoeG
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what your are looking for is called a timbren. The web site is www.timbren.com . I have not personally used them but have heard good things about them.

Good Luck.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:49 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Scott,
Just go an pick up that slightly used 1 ton truck in your neighborhood... that will no longer be used to tow with.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:09 PM
SWK6Cup

Chris:
Thankx for the words of encouragement! Trouble is around here, "slightly used" really means more like "abused"...... remember baby steps for me........
Old 10-02-2011, 01:18 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Run Scott Run!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:10 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeG
I think what your are looking for is called a timbren. The web site is www.timbren.com . I have not personally used them but have heard good things about them.

Good Luck.
Yep, Timbren it is; folks over on the Ford Truck site seem to think it is a good solution.
I don't have any personal experience with using that type of product, though. My Super Duty hardly notices the trailer tongue weight.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:25 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Most vehicles don't require the gizmo if the trailer is properly balanced. My trailer with car is around 400 lbs tongue weight or about the same of 2 full sized men. What are you pulling?
Old 10-02-2011, 03:03 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
Most vehicles don't require the gizmo if the trailer is properly balanced. My trailer with car is around 400 lbs tongue weight or about the same of 2 full sized men. What are you pulling?
Au contraire Pierre.... When you pull a larger trailer the tongue weight increases proportionally. My 28ft V-nose Pace, really their 24ft box with an enclosed extended V-nose, weighs 8k loaded with 1k on the nose. My 06', F350 DRW, CC, 4x4 with the OEM extra rear leaf spring, sagged over 2" before I installed the Timbren bump stops. That was way too much rake and affected front braking and tire wear. With the Timbren extended bump stops my sag is just under 1" and it rides better and brakes better. I also expect tire wear to be more even as I chunked my OEM fronts by 40k miles.

As for balance, I own a Sherline scale and have adjusted the car and checked it many times. I run my 996 with the rear wheels just above the dovetail, as far back on the flat floor as possible. My 1k tongue weight is 12.5% of total weight, well within accepted parameters.

The Timbren system is a less expensive alternative to air bags which I had on my previous dually. Air bags with their associated lines and compressor have multiple failure points and I think I used up all of them. The Timbren system is guaranteed against failure for as long as you own the vehicle. I suspect they'll last a long time. Oh and it takes about an hour to install them if you're slow (special?) like me......
Old 10-02-2011, 03:10 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

If its the tacoma you'll want bags on it, firestone makes a good setup, makes a big difference for a smaller truck.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

I tow a Trailex/993 w/ a 4Runner, it doesn't really need any thing additional except a brake controller(Prodigy), I wouldn't think a Tacoma would be any different. But if I were to add anything it would be airbags in back. They are desirable because they don't change ride height and don't affect unloaded ride at all. Firestone seems to be the most commonly used a/b setup.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:40 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
They are desirable because they don't change ride height and don't affect unloaded ride at all. Firestone seems to be the most commonly used a/b setup.
Bill I should have aded that the Timbren system also doesn't affect the unloaded ride or ride height as you set them up for 1/2 to 3/4" clearance unloaded. Firestone's air bag system is great, just twice as expensive for the parts alone not to mention installation....
Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 PM
SWK6Cup

Guys- thankx, yet again.
My Tacoma (V6/4WD/5Spd, new frame and leaf springs- thankx Toyota!) will be pulling/braking with my '03 996 C2 on a steel trailer (1450 lbs.) with one set of track wheels, once this all comes together.... (trailer has electronic brakes- Tekonsha Prodigy 2 is inbound with complete wiring kit- thankx for the previous input).
I calculate about 5k weight (car and trailer- which also means about 500 lbs. tongue weight). So, far so good. Hitch itself is rated to 6000 lbs. and tongue weight is 600 lbs. max. So I should be within stated limits. The vehicle is rated to tow 6500 lbs. I might need to add an oil cooler???
While this may ultimately be the best way to go, I don't think that I am going to venture into the airbag system, just yet. I will investigate the Timbren and near me (Albany) is a place that specializes in all types of vehicle springs, etc., Watkins Spring, that I just found out about...maybe a helper leaf spring depending on how much sag? I will do some more research.
Thankx again to all for all your wisdom.
R\
Scott
Old 10-02-2011, 09:18 PM
SWK6Cup

Hmmmmmm, the Timbren site is interesting Watkins Spring in Albany sells them, too. Seems like it could work real well, regardless of the truck/application.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:30 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Scott, don't waste your time with heavier springs, just get the airbags. I really liked the firestone kit, think it was about $300, and took me about an hour to put in, really simple to do; four u-bolts and some air fittings. Unlike the leaf spring the bags sit between the solid axle and the frame and you adjust the ride height and weight capacity by adding air. You are stuck with one rate with leaf or helper springs and they make the truck rough with no load. These are the same bags that big rigs, RVs and buses use as their primay means of support. It adds all sorts of flexibility that a spring can't match. You won't be disappointed.

Quick Reply: Towing Stuff