Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:53 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I have no problem with someone bragging about a simulator performance. It's "real" in its own context. Just don't compare it to real "real."
The racing in iRacing is real. It's the driving and the consequences of mistakes that are simulated.

PS: I am nothing more than a mid-packer in iRacing, so smack me hard if I ever brag about how I do in the game.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Hey iRacers, I have a question that might be answered best by guys who are both racing (PCA, NASA, etc) and iRacing. I have absolutely zero experience with computer based sims, never been on the site so here is my question:

If you have close/easy access to an indoor carting facility that you could go to every week or every other week, would the carting strengthen your "real world" driving skills better/faster than joining iRacing?

I'm reviewing this thread and looking at simulator websites and those things can be very expensive, all things considered. I'm thinking I could spend the 2,000 that one of you have in the hardware and cart my *** off between PCA / PBOC events. Whats the thought about the comparison?

Thanks for the incite as I think the hardware you guys have is awesome.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
You just have to find the right kind of game.

He has my flag decal on his car, you may be on to something!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:48 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Hahaha! I NEED to get in on that... Maybe next year's Monterey Motorsports Reunion week.
Anytime mate. Our showroom has a very open door to anyone here. You need not be a qualified buyer either. When it comes down to it, we at CXC are just "race geeks" at heart. We love to share our knowledge and equipment to anyone who comes by.

Originally Posted by Brinkley
Hey iRacers, I have a question that might be answered best by guys who are both racing (PCA, NASA, etc) and iRacing. I have absolutely zero experience with computer based sims, never been on the site so here is my question:

If you have close/easy access to an indoor carting facility that you could go to every week or every other week, would the carting strengthen your "real world" driving skills better/faster than joining iRacing?

I'm reviewing this thread and looking at simulator websites and those things can be very expensive, all things considered. I'm thinking I could spend the 2,000 that one of you have in the hardware and cart my *** off between PCA / PBOC events. Whats the thought about the comparison?

Thanks for the incite as I think the hardware you guys have is awesome.
As for race training, I would follow this route if I were to do it all over again (and budget were not an issue):

* Goto a race karting school first - This is the best way to learn basic racing techniques fast. You will learn racing lines, threshold braking and develop your ability to "feel" a chassis very quickly.

* Goto a car racing school (like Skip Barber of Bondurant) - Here you will learn the art of weight transfer and familiarize yourself with how a car with suspension behaves the the techniques used to get the most from a full size car. If you do a longer program, you can even get some great race craft tips when wheel to wheel.

* Rent a seat in a Rotax kart for lapping at least once a month - The is the best way to maintain that feel, lightning fast reflexes and keep in reasonably fit physical condition.

* Simulation all the time - You can maintain all of the skills above with a proper simulation package. You can even learn some more advanced techniques like setup, advanced passing and race strategies. You can also learn new tracks. All of this can be done on your schedule and for very little money.

For simulator equipment: Think of it like the difference between a basic 914 and a 911 RSR. You can race a 914 to death and have a fantastic time. If you had the funds, you'd probably race the RSR. Simulators work the same way. We all use the same software (like the cars use the same tracks), but we just have different performance hardware (and service as well). You will learn more, spend less time figuring stuff out and get better tactile feedback from our high-end simulators, but that doesn't mean you wont learn from the low end gear (especially if you choose your gear wisely). It's a great way to get your feet wet

If you aren't ready for our level of simulator (which is more than ok), I'd be happy to advise on any type of hardware/software to fit any budget. We only sell our fully integrated Motion Pro II simulators, but we have a vast knowledge of the entire market. I'd be happy to help!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Chris,

Thanks for the detailed response.

I definitely like the line if "budget was not an issue".

That said, I have been club racing, wheel to wheel, since '04. Started with PCA DE in 2000. Like many, I might have been able to save myself multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars if back in 2000 I didn't buy a P-car and instead bought your top of the line, say $25,000-$35,000 sim and bin done with it!

Even if I only drove it once in its life, I'd still be six figures plus ahead...

IF budget were not an issue I'd definitely have a high end sim like your company mgfs. but since it does I'm thinking carting every week or two between races is better for me at this time.

Thanks again its good to know there are resources like you on the board if things change.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:27 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Brinkley
Chris,

Thanks for the detailed response.

I definitely like the line if "budget was not an issue".

That said, I have been club racing, wheel to wheel, since '04. Started with PCA DE in 2000. Like many, I might have been able to save myself multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars if back in 2000 I didn't buy a P-car and instead bought your top of the line, say $25,000-$35,000 sim and bin done with it!

Even if I only drove it once in its life, I'd still be six figures plus ahead...

IF budget were not an issue I'd definitely have a high end sim like your company mgfs. but since it does I'm thinking carting every week or two between races is better for me at this time.

Thanks again its good to know there are resources like you on the board if things change.

No problem at all!

Like I mentioned, I'm happy to help (with advice) no matter what type of budget. I don't mind if it's not our equipment

Along those lines: you mentioned you were looking in the 2k range. A couple of questions then:

Are you including the PC in the budget?
Do you have a home theater system with an LCD/Plasma?
If you had a frame with wheel and cockpit, would you be ok with using it with that system and scooting it aside when not in use?
Old 09-25-2011, 10:42 PM
Brinkley
Pro

I was just referencing "Gator's" quote from above which after re-reading looks like its more like $4k. I'm really not in the market. Having done this for almost 10 years I can't justify more crazy toys.

Here's my problem. as of lunch time today I have never been on a racing sim site and now I've read almost all your sites pages and spun around iRacing. If I wanted a sim I would want one that mimicked my race car, not a mazda mx5, or a radical, or a prototype, or a stock car. I'd want only tracks that I go to now or potentially would go to as a PCA/NASA racer. All of these things wouldn't be possible with a basic seat/wheel/pedals and iRacing.

Like the stock car vid on you site from Masa, AZ, I want to spend the time working on how my car would handle better etc if I changed the moton shock settings, sway bar, compression/rebound. That's my problem. All can be done but the cost might reach 6 figures.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:56 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

Ok, no problem.

BTW, there are software packages that include Porsche content as well You can even modify the cars to mimic yours.

You are right though, there is no substitute for real track time!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

In my case, I can't quite afford wheel-to-wheel right now, and I think it would be hard from a timing aspect anyways. Having my little toy lets me do a ton of fake racing and it is really fun. Certainly it doesn't hurt that she lets me leave it in front of the big TV. My apartment in Japan next year is only going to be like 500 sqft. I am desparately trying to figure out if I will have space!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:55 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I need to build a new tower for iRacing. My old one finally crapped out.

Tower only, Windows based, what would you suggest for ~$1k or less budget?

This will be dedicated to iRacing. Already have G27, playseat and 32" monitor. Do not plan on going to multiple monitors or anything else crazy.

Andy
Old 09-26-2011, 12:21 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

If you can re-use your Case, HDD, and CD drive from your last computer, this will be a blazer of iRacing machine with plenty of headroom for the future:

From NewEgg.com

Qty. 1 SAPPHIRE 100311-2SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Item #: N82E16814102918
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
-$10.00 Instant
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card

$359.99
$349.99

Qty. 3 Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model CT25664BA1339
Item #: N82E16820148221
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

$44.97
($14.99 each)

Qty. 1 Open Box: Intel BOXDP67BGB3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813121511R
Return Policy: Open Box Refund Only Return Policy
-$50.00 Instant

$189.99
$139.99

Qty. 1 Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
Item #: N82E16819115070
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

$314.99

Qty. 1 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116992
Return Policy: Software Standard Return Policy
-$5.00 Instant

$139.99
$134.99

Subtotal: $984.93
Old 09-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Funny, that is my box except for the MoBo, i'm a Gigabyte guy (GA-P67A-UD3). Running the i7-2600K up to 4Gz without issues. If his "old tower" crapped out it may not be a SATA drives or compatible PS so keep that in mind Andy, IDE be DED. If it's a good case with good cooling then a new PS will go right in..
Old 09-26-2011, 01:28 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

Yes, That would be assuming the HDD is SATA. Drives are really cheap these days if you don't need SSD's or extreme size.

AMD cards are really good with with power, so a killer PS should be necessary. Hopefully the old one is still ok. If not, they are cheap too.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

A good 550W will suffice, and you can get adapters to go from IDE to SATA power. I'm an Antec guy - big full tower case, bunch of 120mm fans, with an Antec True Power 850W... but LOTS of choices out there. Most new MoBo's require the separate 4 pin power plug, that may be an issue with an old PS too.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I can photocopy my receipt from microcenter if I can find it.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread