Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 02:26 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I'll extend the invite.

As for setups - you walked back into the thread at the right time!

I was thinking of hitting up a few people I know who contract themselves out for trackside support to see if there's some basic setup advice for the 991.1 GT3 Cup we've got here... but I imagine you've got access to some good stuff as well.

I'm far from an expert but to me, the default setup, at some tracks, feels like it's just got the wrong springs on it. Understeers everywhere, then snap oversteer under power... it just feels, wonky? Someone (Krautcars I think) pulled a setup from the VirtualRaceSchool site and it transformed the car in some/most cases... but I still struggle sometimes.

Does a "properly" set up Cup feel pretty close to the baseline setup in iRacing?
Let's put it out there in the open if you don't mind. If you can post a screenshot of your setup i can take a look at it. I will go home tonight and check out mine. These cars are quite easy to dial in. The .2 is a bit more "free" than the .1 in real life but for the most part, you want some mild understeer on entry and exit that can be induced with aggressive throttle at exit or aggressive entry speed. Post what you have and let me take a look at it.

For what it's worth i liked the baseline setup on the car but i don't know if it received an update because now i have a bunch of push and less brake feel.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:56 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Ok so far a few people have said they're interested in joining. I shot them invites and will append (TM) to the end of their nickname (for the FB group "Track Midwest").

I also cleaned out the member list for anyone who hadn't logged into the service at all in 2017. If you're a lurker and thinking of returning, and are one of the ones I removed - just send a PM and I can re-add you if you're actually interested in attending some events.

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Let's put it out there in the open if you don't mind. If you can post a screenshot of your setup i can take a look at it. I will go home tonight and check out mine. These cars are quite easy to dial in. The .2 is a bit more "free" than the .1 in real life but for the most part, you want some mild understeer on entry and exit that can be induced with aggressive throttle at exit or aggressive entry speed. Post what you have and let me take a look at it.

For what it's worth i liked the baseline setup on the car but i don't know if it received an update because now i have a bunch of push and less brake feel.
When I'm back home I'll get some screenshots of the setup I've been using from VRS. All I generally change on the VRS setup is tire pressures - I think I aim for 25psi at all 4 corners when hot (? memory fuzzy).

Anything I change on the baseline setup just seems to make it worse.

No issues putting it all "out in the open" if you're fine with it. I know some guys, this setup info is their "intellectual property" in a sense (how they make their living) so I can understand if folks DON'T want it out there.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:16 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Suggestion - let us just use fixed setups. I like racing with you guys, but I dont have time to tweak this car with the other two series I am running right now.

Will make for more fun, less hassle

Thoughts?
Old 12-13-2017, 07:30 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I don't mind the idea of a "Fixed" setup... though I've found that the Cup is pretty sensitive to "bad" ones.... and I personally hate the baseline.

Traditionally somebody comes up with a decent enough setup (usually Justin LOL) and shares it.

Let's see where things net out on setup with John (above) and I might poke one of my contacts as well to see if he's got any baseline tips.

I'll put together a schedule over the next few days, with the aim to start next week. I added probably a dozen people from the FB group so we should have a good grid if even only a few of them show up.

I know with the 24 coming in Jan (both the iRacing version and IMSA version), and knowing we have folks here who will want to participate in each of those... I may book Daytona twice (maybe one daytime, one nighttime).

Gimme a day or two. I'll turn "points" on too.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:11 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I don't mind the idea of a "Fixed" setup... though I've found that the Cup is pretty sensitive to "bad" ones.... and I personally hate the baseline.

Traditionally somebody comes up with a decent enough setup (usually Justin LOL) and shares it.

Let's see where things net out on setup with John (above) and I might poke one of my contacts as well to see if he's got any baseline tips.

I'll put together a schedule over the next few days, with the aim to start next week. I added probably a dozen people from the FB group so we should have a good grid if even only a few of them show up.

I know with the 24 coming in Jan (both the iRacing version and IMSA version), and knowing we have folks here who will want to participate in each of those... I may book Daytona twice (maybe one daytime, one nighttime).

Gimme a day or two. I'll turn "points" on too.
If you can get me your setup via email I can drive it too and give you my thoughts.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:31 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Looking forward to it
Old 12-13-2017, 11:58 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

If you can get me your setup via email I can drive it too and give you my thoughts.
Well everybody has the baseline - so you should be able to drive it straight off.

But I'll send you the one that's been sorta-kinda working.

In addition, here's the setups:

BASELINE (that everybody has):

Updated VRS set that felt "ok" at Watkins (and I generally use this one to start with):

Still not ideal, but there's much more front grip than baseline. Essentially understeers everywhere you're not on the brakes... except at random times the rear wants to snap. Trimming out the rear wing doesn't seem to do much of anything at the nose.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:55 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Two setup files attached. The Watkins one from above + the original baseline file that was shared to the group from VRS that felt much better than the iRacing baseline
Attached Files
File Type: zip
watkins.zip (3.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-14-2017, 10:57 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well everybody has the baseline - so you should be able to drive it straight off.
Sorry...i wasn't aware we were starting with the baseline. I just reviewed the baseline and the one you're using. I went and played some last night and if you can send me an email i can email you that setup. I even downloaded another setup online but i didn't like it and went back to the one i was tinkering with last night.

My notes are as follows:

- you want as close to 46% bias as you can so that you can actually band-aid the understeer issue AND carry more brake pressure - otherwise we are fighting front lockup. i had the worst time sorting the brakes because i had the "brake assist" on and it kept releasing brake pressure every time it would get close to lock up. if you run that bias setting and use less brake pressure it should help some and you will see your theoretical lap time improving. as it stood the brakes sucked. I couldn't get it stopped to save my life. You should be able to get to the 200 marker or better in the bus stop in a car like this and i couldn't do it without almost wrecking every time until i adjusted the bias and turned off the assist.

- I think that you're going to find the happy balance on the front grip issue by tinkering with the tire pressures, camber and rear ride height. Something is creating an abundance of rear grip. I got it a lot better and am more than happy to send you my setup for you to try but i essentially played with the camber and then just kept raising the rear of the car.

- The aero is really only going to help under braking and any corner with more than 85+ mph min speed so at Daytona it's going to have an effect in the kink, the bus stop and a little bit in turn 6 but it's going to create more straightline speed trimming it out. but i don't know if it's enough because Daytona has long braking zones and if you can stop in a shorter distance sometimes it's more of a benefit than an additional 1mph. It may create 1 mph or 2 mph but if you have to roll 5 mph less through the bus stop then it's counterproductive. With the wing at 4 i think it's actually hurting you in the kink think because the car has so much rear grip it requires a tiny crack of the throttle if you aren't in exactly the right spot. I didn't get to try it below 4 but i can tonight. Every Cup car or Porsche track car is going to be the same way in the kink. the Clubsport makes 390hp and good grip and is barely flat through there. It can be done but it takes some conviction. On new tires on a grippy track it's a non-brainer but when the tires are worn and the track is slick, you can't just assume you can flat it UNLESS you're in a car with tons of downforce.

- the car makes more MPH than other GT3 cars even though it's not really a GT3 car like the GT3 R. i wonder if it's the reduced amount of aero relative to the other GT3 cars or what that makes the additional mph but i'm at 174mph at start/finish. truth be told, the MPH figures for all of these cars in the sim are wrong. you can't be doing these lap times and be down 5 - 7mph at start/finish - the DPs should be doing 195+. I think though that possibly just the rollout or the speedo is the issue.

Those are my notes from last night. Send me that email and i can send you my setup and you can see if you like it. At the end of the day we are relying on the software engineers to have the same exact understanding of these cars as we do. What works in real life may not work all the time in the simulator but just like in real life you have adjustments with a range of motion. Move them in singularity from one end of the spectrum to the next and see what works.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:32 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Sorry...i wasn't aware we were starting with the baseline. I just reviewed the baseline and the one you're using. I went and played some last night and if you can send me an email i can email you that setup. I even downloaded another setup online but i didn't like it and went back to the one i was tinkering with last night.

My notes are as follows:

- you want as close to 46% bias as you can so that you can actually band-aid the understeer issue AND carry more brake pressure - otherwise we are fighting front lockup. i had the worst time sorting the brakes because i had the "brake assist" on and it kept releasing brake pressure every time it would get close to lock up. if you run that bias setting and use less brake pressure it should help some and you will see your theoretical lap time improving. as it stood the brakes sucked. I couldn't get it stopped to save my life. You should be able to get to the 200 marker or better in the bus stop in a car like this and i couldn't do it without almost wrecking every time until i adjusted the bias and turned off the assist.

- I think that you're going to find the happy balance on the front grip issue by tinkering with the tire pressures, camber and rear ride height. Something is creating an abundance of rear grip. I got it a lot better and am more than happy to send you my setup for you to try but i essentially played with the camber and then just kept raising the rear of the car.

- The aero is really only going to help under braking and any corner with more than 85+ mph min speed so at Daytona it's going to have an effect in the kink, the bus stop and a little bit in turn 6 but it's going to create more straightline speed trimming it out. but i don't know if it's enough because Daytona has long braking zones and if you can stop in a shorter distance sometimes it's more of a benefit than an additional 1mph. It may create 1 mph or 2 mph but if you have to roll 5 mph less through the bus stop then it's counterproductive. With the wing at 4 i think it's actually hurting you in the kink think because the car has so much rear grip it requires a tiny crack of the throttle if you aren't in exactly the right spot. I didn't get to try it below 4 but i can tonight. Every Cup car or Porsche track car is going to be the same way in the kink. the Clubsport makes 390hp and good grip and is barely flat through there. It can be done but it takes some conviction. On new tires on a grippy track it's a non-brainer but when the tires are worn and the track is slick, you can't just assume you can flat it UNLESS you're in a car with tons of downforce.

- the car makes more MPH than other GT3 cars even though it's not really a GT3 car like the GT3 R. i wonder if it's the reduced amount of aero relative to the other GT3 cars or what that makes the additional mph but i'm at 174mph at start/finish. truth be told, the MPH figures for all of these cars in the sim are wrong. you can't be doing these lap times and be down 5 - 7mph at start/finish - the DPs should be doing 195+. I think though that possibly just the rollout or the speedo is the issue.

Those are my notes from last night. Send me that email and i can send you my setup and you can see if you like it. At the end of the day we are relying on the software engineers to have the same exact understanding of these cars as we do. What works in real life may not work all the time in the simulator but just like in real life you have adjustments with a range of motion. Move them in singularity from one end of the spectrum to the next and see what works.
Yeah brake bias was one of the first things I figured out. The default 47.5% is almost impossible to drive. When the car was first released I dropped it down in the 43-44 range... which let the car stop, so long as you didn't turn the steering wheel. The more I drove it, the more I found that somewhere in the low 46's was about right. Any higher and you can't stop, any lower and you can't trail brake.

I assume they modeled (perhaps with questionable accuracy) whatever Michelins the Cup ships with? In the "real" car anyways - what's the usual optimal pressure? I think I've honed in on ~25psi hot.

Interesting thoughts on the aero, and not trying below 4. I'm not sure I can really tell much of any significant difference in balance between 1 and 5.

Does the real-life car really understeer as badly as it does in-sim?
Old 12-14-2017, 09:57 PM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Relatively new to iracing, but am interested in getting in with the RL crew. Let me know how best to join up once you guys get rolling.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:05 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by spruden
Relatively new to iracing, but am interested in getting in with the RL crew. Let me know how best to join up once you guys get rolling.
Shoot me a PM with the name you used to register on iRacing and I'll get you added in.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:13 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Ok folks - tentative calendar (subject to change) starting next Weds. I've got Daytona twice... one early, one the week before the real-deal 24.

I've had a decent response from the FB group - I think we might have a good turnout. I'll mess around with some setups this weekend, try out John's changes, etc. If it feels good I'll consider marking the series "fixed setup".
Old 12-15-2017, 02:03 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Final paint in the basement is scheduled for the 20th, so I'll probably miss the first one. Thanks for setting the season up Jim. I'll be back as soon as I can get set up again.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:32 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Silly question as I thought I already knew the answer but I'll ask:

The 991 Cup we have here in iRacing is a ".1" right?

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread