Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:12 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin135
Sorry to be late to the discussion. Feel free to ask me any iRacing specific questions, I work for the the company.
Hi Kevin,

I'll take you up on that offer: As far a GFX cards go, assuming I want the ability to run iracing across 3 screen in the future, does the game run better on a 2-card nvidia SLI setup, or a higher-end ATI single card (e.g. 6950 or 6970) eyefinity setup, or perhaps even a 2-card ATI setup? Does the game have any inherent preference?

Also, what is the sweet-spot (best compromise between detail & FPS) as far as screen resolutions on a 3-monitor setup? Knowing the target screen rez would help me choose monitors & GFX card.

More broadly, with the next generation of GFX cards due out this fall, do you think it make sense to wait till year-end?

Sorry for all the Q's. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:36 AM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Hi Kevin,

I'll take you up on that offer: As far a GFX cards go, assuming I want the ability to run iracing across 3 screen in the future, does the game run better on a 2-card nvidia SLI setup, or a higher-end ATI single card (e.g. 6950 or 6970) eyefinity setup, or perhaps even a 2-card ATI setup? Does the game have any inherent preference?

Also, what is the sweet-spot (best compromise between detail & FPS) as far as screen resolutions on a 3-monitor setup? Knowing the target screen rez would help me choose monitors & GFX card.

More broadly, with the next generation of GFX cards due out this fall, do you think it make sense to wait till year-end?

Well, until Kevin has a chance to reply, I can throw my 2 cents in:

ATI cards are what we use. Love 'em. For iRacing 3 screen setups, they work really well. A 6970 is your best bet for now because of the extra VRAM (newer cards will always be a little better, but current gen cards should last a while).

Don't neglect the CPU though. This is really important with iRacing specifically due to it's physics engine taxing the CPU so much.

A good target would be 60+ FPS when running three screens at 1920x1080 each. Different cars and tracks will greatly affect frame rate though. The new tracks with the new cars (new tire model) will hammer your hardware. They have been making small fixes here and there that have been improving this though.

You can make great strides by tuning the GFX settings in iRacing and the AMD drivers. We literally spend days tuning machines before delivery and continue to do so remotely for our customers as updates become available. Don't even get me started on monitor calibrations!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:06 AM
kevin135
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Kevin,

Hi John,
Sorry for the delay in response. You are in way deeper than I dare venture PC/video card specs are not my area of expertise.

I can tell you on our three screen setups we run NVIDIA cards (2-cards) and everything looks great. Our current members seem to base their recommendations on what they have personally but I'll send your questions to one of our engineers and get back to you.
Kevin
Old 10-06-2011, 10:56 AM
kevin135
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Kevin,

Here is the response from our lead engineer:

"For multi-GPU systems, 2 GPUs is the sweet spot. Quad SLI doesn’t work at all with iRacing. Currently AMD Crossfire with their higher end GPU’s can actually result in a performance decrease for iRacing, which is something we are working on, but this issue hasn’t been reolved yet. Therefore, for 3 screen setups I’d currently recommend an nVidia Surround setup (dual SLI, not quad!)."

Let me know if you have further questions.
Kevin
Old 10-06-2011, 03:07 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks Chris & Kevin.

So, to summarize, for a three-screen setup, use either two nVidia cards in SLI, or a single ATI 6970 card. And avoid trying multiple ATI cards in crossfire. Got it. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:10 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

Thanks Chris & Kevin.

So, to summarize, for a three-screen setup, use either two nVidia cards in SLI, or a single ATI 6970 card. And avoid trying multiple ATI cards in crossfire. Got it. Thanks.
Yep. Also, AMD cards play nicer with TV's in 3 screen format. We have lots of trouble with Nvidia cards with TV's in triples.

BTW, the multiple card issue with AMD's is local to iRacing only really. All other simulations and games we use seem to play nice with multiple AMD cards.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:12 PM
goforwand
Advanced

Would working in a 3 monitor environment be more immerse than using a HD projector at a distance? We have a 120" diag. screen with a Panny PT-AE900 HD PJ in a dedicated room (which would solve the "why is that thing in the living room!" issue ) but with decent monitors so inexpensive today it's not a huge investment....
Old 10-06-2011, 07:06 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by goforwand
Would working in a 3 monitor environment be more immerse than using a HD projector at a distance? We have a 120" diag. screen with a Panny PT-AE900 HD PJ in a dedicated room (which would solve the "why is that thing in the living room!" issue ) but with decent monitors so inexpensive today it's not a huge investment....
If you are talking about 3 computer monitors (27" and smaller), then yes. But for large TV's like we use, no. Our TV's are large enough and bent at angles that actually wrap around you providing a really immersive environment. You actually turn your head as you would in a real car to look to sharp apexes and cars along side.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:14 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

You guys are welcome to join us today for our F-Chat league if you like. It's pretty loose knit and just for fun.

This week Patrick Long is joining us again.

Race Details:

Car: HPD ARX-01C

Track: Road Atlanta

Setup: Open

Here is how you join:

Sign in the Hosted Section of iRacing's website.

Session Name: F-Chat Racing League

Password: mrroblay

Day: Every Thursday

Practice: 7:30 pm EST (4:30 PST)

Qualifying: 8:30 pm EST (5:30 PST)

Race: 9:00 pm EST (6:00 PST)
Old 10-06-2011, 07:21 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Damn I'm going to miss this one! Looks like a great combo. I'm going to make a big effort this season to get back in there with you F-Chat guys.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:46 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

This Week's F-Chat Race

Race Details:

Car: Ford GT

Track: Watkins Glen International - Boot

Here is how you join:

Old 10-14-2011, 05:14 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

For those of you looking for a good OEM PC for iRacing, this is a decent starting setup and a good deal to boot: http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/271930
Old 10-15-2011, 06:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by CXC Simulations
AMD cards play nicer with TV's in 3 screen format. We have lots of trouble with Nvidia cards with TV's in triples.
Having put multiple triples together (I don't mind the smaller monitors, but the triple screen is a must for the level of training I do), I agree with Chris. The HD6870 is a nice solution.

I do understand the relationship between NVidia and iRacing, but the AMD Eyefinity is an easier, more consumer-friendly solution. Lots of folks on the iRacing forums really like 'em.

For those of you looking for a good OEM PC for iRacing, this is a decent starting setup and a good deal to boot: http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/271930
And this one has one in it. Thanks, Chris, just bought one for a budget build!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-15-2011, 07:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1111
Thanks for all the responses, the $1500.00 budget is just for the seat and frame.

I already have a Logitech g25 wheel, but it looks like I will have to upgrade.

Am I being realistic with this budget??

I guess my goal is not to fell like I am handicapped by the equipment.
I think you're in good shape. You will have some good kit at this budget.

I have and have sold both the Fanatec Rennsport Cockpit and the VisionRacer VR3. Rennsport Cockpit here: http://nsa07.casimages.com/img/2009/...1830790882.jpg

I like each of the frames and seats. A LOT. Delivery on Fanatec is very long and quite frustrating, but it's good stuff. Need some floor space.

The VR3 with a shifter extension cable for the G25 is less than$1100 shipped in their new black finish. They've just come out with a triple screen mounting that works well with 24" Dell or ViewSonics. Single screen looks like this: http://www.gtpla.net/wp-content/uplo...er-vr3-g25.jpg Obviously you would mount your G25 on it.

A good pedal set is more important than anything else.

Brake pedal feel is important.

The G25 works as a good starter though.
Again, agree hugely with Chris. I love the Todd Cannon pedals, but delivery and cost are challenges.

No need to toss the G25, just upgrade to a hydraulic load cell in your existing pedal box by using Gary Gibson's Perfect Pedal, illustrated here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...109_642280.jpg

My favorite budget buy OEM, and I have used several, is the Gateway FX 6860 here: http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/conte...l/PT.GCEP2.001

Uses a Sandy Bridge Core i7, comes with a HD6750 and is available at Tigerdirect (and Compusa) for $799. Right now. For another $180, you can install an HD 6870 and be cooking with gas for $1K.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:17 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

Today's Race Details:

Car: Dallara IndyCar

Track: Okayama International Circuit - Full Course

Here is how you join:

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread