Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 04:32 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
The resolution was one thing and the lack of brightness was another. Also, all those cords! It seems many sim people have both, and I didn’t really like having that thing strapped to my head all the time, and having to worry about debris constantly.

Sucks I have to wait for HE stock to come back, but that system seems like the one to get.
CV1 resolution is definitely better than DK2. Noticeably better. There's the Samsung Odyssey "PLUS" which is slightly better res than the CV1. Currently no way around having a cord attached to your head though.

Speaking of debris... depending on how long it's been since you've run the sim.... there is tire/dirt/rocks/debris now... that come flying at you... and can cause you to involuntarily duck in VR....

I've tried a bunch of high-end pedals, back to back, and HE is what I went with. You can't really go wrong with them IMO.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:11 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I think the debris had just started when I last used the sim back in 2014 at some point.

I guess I’ll just wait for the HE stuff to come back into stock. When I can order their GT rig and the sprint pedals, I’ll order everything else. I hate waiting!!
Old 03-11-2019, 10:14 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

I guess I’ll just wait for the HE stuff to come back into stock...
Is there any back story on this? Heusinkveld seems to be out of stock of everything on their website.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:52 PM
MSWNCity
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just completed building this setup. Heusinkveld chassis, Heusinkveld Sprint pedals, AccuForce V2 DD wheel, Asus PG279QZ 27" 1440p 144Hz 1MS monitors, Velocity Micro PC w/Nvidia RTX 2080TI . I wanted to do this right the first time to avoid frustration. Yes the Heusinkveld products are in back order but worth the wait. I think it took me about 6 weeks to get the pedals and I ordered them through Demon Tweeks, a reseller of Heusinkveld products. The chassis was in stock. You might want to look at the Sim Lab 80/20 chassis. It is very similar in design to the Heusinkveld product and a little less expensive. I liked the idea that the pedals would bolt right up to the chassis. The AccuForce wheel did not mount to the chassis using their mount. I miss read the literature that listed the AccuForce V1 (the older model) as compatible. I bought an additional piece of 80/20 from McMaster Carr and did a flat mount using the AccuForce adjustable mounts. Both the pedals and wheel come with excellent tuning software and as a first time builder I wanted to minimize what I knew could be a lengthy tuning process.

Heusinkveld and AccuForce and Velocity PC have all been very good answering questions and providing support.

The finished product is terrific. The chassis is unbelievably rigid and does not deflect in the slightest even with very firm braking and FFB.

I have been using the setup for a week now and slowly tuning the different inputs. I imagine that the tuning process will go on indefinitely but it is fun and engaging. The actual driving I’d very addictive. Replays from numerous camera angles highlight issues and it’s back to the track for another run. Repeat.

if this is interesting to anyone starting to configure their Sim I’d be happy to answer any questions.

Cheers,

Mark W.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:53 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterp
Is there any back story on this? Heusinkveld seems to be out of stock of everything on their website.
I think it is always like that; huge demand, small company. It KILLS ME. I am really really bad at waiting, but I think their cockpit and pedals are exactly what I need. So, I will have to learn to wait here, which sucks. I am sure the shipping is going to be outrageous. My friends at work were making fun of me all day after I told them about my rig; whatever, those suckers don't know the supreme joy of sim racing (lisp emphasis, LOL). Also, none of them understand racing, sports cars, or driving on a race track at a level where you get a code brown.

I also spoke to Matt tonight; sending him my old playseat and G27 hopefully this Saturday. So, be nice to him when he starts! We had a good discussion re: being patient, using sound as a good tool, resistive brakes in the form of the G27 being a good start.

The sim is so much more accessible. It is true I need to finish my decade old track car project, but even if I did, how many times am I really going to haul the 951 up to Summit Point vs. coming home from an international biz trip and cranking out some laps at Spa?
Old 03-13-2019, 01:23 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MSWNCity

Just completed building this setup. Heusinkveld chassis, Heusinkveld Sprint pedals, AccuForce V2 DD wheel, Asus PG279QZ 27" 1440p 144Hz 1MS monitors, Velocity Micro PC w/Nvidia RTX 2080TI . I wanted to do this right the first time to avoid frustration. Yes the Heusinkveld products are in back order but worth the wait. I think it took me about 6 weeks to get the pedals and I ordered them through Demon Tweeks, a reseller of Heusinkveld products. The chassis was in stock. You might want to look at the Sim Lab 80/20 chassis. It is very similar in design to the Heusinkveld product and a little less expensive. I liked the idea that the pedals would bolt right up to the chassis. The AccuForce wheel did not mount to the chassis using their mount. I miss read the literature that listed the AccuForce V1 (the older model) as compatible. I bought an additional piece of 80/20 from McMaster Carr and did a flat mount using the AccuForce adjustable mounts. Both the pedals and wheel come with excellent tuning software and as a first time builder I wanted to minimize what I knew could be a lengthy tuning process.

Heusinkveld and AccuForce and Velocity PC have all been very good answering questions and providing support.

The finished product is terrific. The chassis is unbelievably rigid and does not deflect in the slightest even with very firm braking and FFB.

I have been using the setup for a week now and slowly tuning the different inputs. I imagine that the tuning process will go on indefinitely but it is fun and engaging. The actual driving I’d very addictive. Replays from numerous camera angles highlight issues and it’s back to the track for another run. Repeat.

if this is interesting to anyone starting to configure their Sim I’d be happy to answer any questions.

Cheers,

Mark W.
Mark - I somehow missed this post last night. What you have is basically what I am going for. It is sort of weird that we are in some sort of phase lock loop here on the rig, down to the same GPU. I will check out those ASUS monitors; thanks for pointing those out.

After some further research, I think I am going to focus on the Sim Lab P1 as you mention, with a separate monitor stand with a fourth monitor up top. I will still get the HE sprint pedals. I am going to have to wait, but like you, I wanted to do this once this time without compromises. The compromises were why I stopped before.

Keep going back and forth about putting in my basement, or turning what was a "sleeping porch" into a full sim room. Already have a lot of crap in the finished side of the basement, so will probably end up taking over the enclosed porch. Will need to connect the little AC unit to the interwebs somehow for summer sessions in the evening so I can turn that sucker on before leaving work...
Old 03-13-2019, 01:24 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Also, funny enough, I see a concept 2 in the photo. I recently sold mine since we joined a gym. Out goes the concept two in the enclosed porch, in goes a rig. Seems reasonable!
Old 03-13-2019, 07:18 PM
MSWNCity
Rennlist Member

Also, funny enough, I see a concept 2 in the photo. I recently sold mine since we joined a gym. Out goes the concept two in the enclosed porch, in goes a rig. Seems reasonable!
The Concept 2 is a great workout. We get to XC ski here all winter so it doesn't get a lot of use until the Fall. Funny, I did move it aside to build the SIM.

I think you are on the right track with your build.I know it's a big investment but the end result is worth the dollars and time. Even without yet fully tuning my system I am having a great time. I wanted to be able to simulate our CS/MR and preview different tracks. The Heusinkveld pedals allow you to dial in the extra braking force you need to mimic the double master / un-boosted brakes on the car. Keep your eye out for the Ultimates to return to stock before the Sprint pedals. Talking with Heusinkveld directly it sounded like they expected those to come back in stock before the Sprints. The Ultimates are a little more $, are probably an incremental improvement, but could have you driving your rig sooner.

The GPU you have chosen is really fast and seamless in use. I asked Velocity to build me a future proof box (well maybe 3 to 5 years) and the big expense was getting ahead of the curve on the GPU. They expect that the RTX 2080ti will be competitive for some time to come. The early cards did have a reputation for showing up DOA. If it is working properly everything falls into place instantly. If you hit any snags, don't fight them just get the card replaced.

Remember it will take a couple of weeks to put everything together once you have the parts. I found the build process to be very satisfying. Fewer and fewer things we can really build and play with anymore.

If you run into any questions and I can be of help please send me a note or post something here.

Last edited by MSWNCity; 03-13-2019 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-13-2019, 07:22 PM
MSWNCity
Rennlist Member

PS Place the SIM in a room where you can control the light. Glare from a window directly behind my setup was suboptimal. Your eyes are working hard enough, they don't need the added aggravation from the glare.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:08 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Matt - All great information. Thanks! I finally finished working tonight, so I am down here in my dungeon (basement) downloading things onto the new machine (and posting from it now!).

I am very happy to hear you are stoked with basically what I am going for here. I think I might wait for the HE sprint pedals, since it seems they actually have better software support? As for the overall cost, I am totally fine with that. I started this on Sunday and decided <$10k is where I wanted to be, and I will be there. The plain reality is I will get much more than $10k worth of fun out of this thing, I long since decided to drive cheap street cars, and I never spend any money on anything which is a stupid habit. If I have trouble, I very much appreciate your offer for help, which I will gladly take you up on if I need it.

As for the rig location, I am pretty firm on putting it in the old enclosed "sleeping porch" I mentioned earlier. I actually have the original pre-war plans. I just peaked at them upstairs and they say that porch is 16' x 8'. I have a pretty strong floor-based AC unit that will cool that room down in the summer in about 30-40 minutes (summers in the DC area are pretty awful; like Floriduh level). As for lighting, I would orient the rig pointing towards my backyard, so sun is very unlikely to come in either at me or behind me, and I have good shades, but you make a good point on that. There is currently no lighting in that room, but I am pretty sure the replacement fan I bought has a light. It would also be easy for me to wire up some lighting on my own, and run the wiring behind the bead board in there covering the brick.

As for assembly, I am really looking forward to that part to be honest. Will have to do that alone, or maybe I can get my neighbor to help, since there is basically no way my real boss would ever help me with this otaku/nerd stuff (). I was able to assemble the PC the extremely nice nerd from Microcenter helped me spec out in like 4 hours, which was a little slow. I did the same thing 7 years ago, and it took the same amount of time. In the end, we are basically going to have almost the same rig, though your PC will be nicer, and won't have a bunch of wiring shortcuts like mine (). That is referred to around here as the "Andrew engineering justified shortcut" generally. Lots of shortcuts around my house.

I am also hoping Matt is getting on OK. He told me he decided to win the internet the other night and bought a bunch of stuff from Fanatec.

I must say, if you showed me what we have today back in 1992 when virtua racing was released, I am pretty sure my brain would have imploded like some sort of black hole. I still remember at age 11 (yes, I am younger than most here) playing virtua racer for the first time at Universal Studios at an arcade. I think my parents spent like $30 on letting me play that game that day (I remember it was like $1.00/per play in an actual cockpit):
Old 03-20-2019, 08:10 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Race tonight at Road Atlanta starting at 8:00PM EST!
Old 03-20-2019, 08:48 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99999
Race tonight at Road Atlanta starting at 8:00PM EST!
Sweet.

I just got my rift, so I'll join as soon as I can. Might need an invite
Old 03-20-2019, 09:27 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

I somehow was dropped from the league. I applied. If somebody sees this please accept so I can join you guys tonight.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:48 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I’ve read so much varied info in the web about this question but does iracing actually make you a better driver IRL?
Old 03-20-2019, 11:19 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n3rd
I’ve read so much varied info in the web about this question but does iracing actually make you a better driver IRL?
I don’t see how it would hurt. I used to do some karting when I was iRacing originally and both helped each other. Partcialuly with left foot braking.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread