Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Old 01-18-2018, 01:25 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Agreed, it pushes unless you've got a foot on a pedal. It will turn in well if you're on the brakes and it can slide the back nicely if you're on the throttle... but it does not like coasting or light throttle. I two-foot drive it and I'm back to blending my inputs to minimize the transition time between braking down to the apex and blasting out. If you find yourself waiting for the front end to stick with no throttle and no brake, then reassess the way you entered the corner.

The bus stop is hilarious. I brake just before the 2 and that loosens up the back end enough to get it to sling left while starting to put the input for the right. I'm on the brakes all the way to the apex for the first apex on the right, then back on the throttle through the rest of the bus stop, but the car is in a micro slide pretty much the whole time. I'm all up over the curbs and dirt through there, but if I nail it, it feels like a waltz. The key is the entry like all the other corners; too much brakes too soon and you get off the brakes early and the car won't turn when you need it to; not enough brakes and you're going to shoot out towards the infield on the left, so you add more brakes and it locks wheels and you shoot out anyway.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:28 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks Jim! I'v walked past that spot everyday for 13 years and it just hit me a simpit would be perfect under there! Best part is the CPU tower is actually in a door behind the wall in front of the simpit. I wired it all up to a remote keyfob and can turn it on as though I'm unlocking the car doors. Yep, I'm THAT big of a geek...
Keyboard tray was off amazon of course! It's actually a tablet stand with a clamp re-purposed as a keyboard tray.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:28 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
Agreed, it pushes unless you've got a foot on a pedal. It will turn in well if you're on the brakes and it can slide the back nicely if you're on the throttle... but it does not like coasting or light throttle. I two-foot drive it and I'm back to blending my inputs to minimize the transition time between braking down to the apex and blasting out. If you find yourself waiting for the front end to stick with no throttle and no brake, then reassess the way you entered the corner.

The bus stop is hilarious. I brake just before the 2 and that loosens up the back end enough to get it to sling left while starting to put the input for the right. I'm on the brakes all the way to the apex for the first apex on the right, then back on the throttle through the rest of the bus stop, but the car is in a micro slide pretty much the whole time. I'm all up over the curbs and dirt through there, but if I nail it, it feels like a waltz. The key is the entry like all the other corners; too much brakes too soon and you get off the brakes early and the car won't turn when you need it to; not enough brakes and you're going to shoot out towards the infield on the left, so you add more brakes and it locks wheels and you shoot out anyway.
LOL yup.

I was braking pretty much right at the 2... but gently and trailing all the way through the first "left-right", into the little mini "straight" in the bus stop, and still on the pedal through the point where I'd bend the wheel back to the right for exit. Then immediately back to power for the "right-left" on exit of the bus stop.

So long as I was on the brake pedal throughout all the steering inputs, the car turned fine.

Same with T1. Cross S/F down at the apron, start heading straight towards the wall. On the brakes just before I bend the wheel to the left (to avoid hitting the wall) and heading back down into T1. Stay on the brakes allll the way through, PAST the tires on the left. A breath or so past the tires, off the pedal and back on the throttle.

Through all of that it took minimal steering input. Nice and tidy when on the brakes, and it unwound itself when on the power.

Have to be gentle enough on the pedal that when you hit it right, at ~44.5 brake bias, you get zero lockup from the fronts through the entire braking event.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:31 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JustinL

I find the 991 Cup really hard to drive. The only time I use it is for our league. By far the most balanced car for me is the 488 GT3...
Old 01-18-2018, 02:39 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I think it really requires a bit of seat time to "get it" as it's so different from the other cars.

That said, I think once you DO "get it" the lessons learned can be applied to all the other cars with good results.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:45 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I think it really requires a bit of seat time to "get it" as it's so different from the other cars.

That said, I think once you DO "get it" the lessons learned can be applied to all the other cars with good results.
If only they offered it with the Bosch ABS kit!! It's mastering the threshold braking and release without the ABS on this particular car I find really tough... Well that and seeing the back end in front so often I can actually throttle steer the Ferrari, I try in the 991 but it usually disagrees with me... LOL
Old 01-18-2018, 03:03 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Same with T1. Cross S/F down at the apron, start heading straight towards the wall. On the brakes just before I bend the wheel to the left (to avoid hitting the wall) and heading back down into T1. Stay on the brakes allll the way through, PAST the tires on the left. A breath or so past the tires, off the pedal and back on the throttle.
I think that's what got me into T1 at the start. I was on the inside and had to correct my line under braking and that loosened me up enough that I was way too tight to the tire wall. I should have just jammed the brakes and locked the front to push a little wide, but I was worried about the cars on the outside.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:47 PM
krautcars
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Slight chance I won't make tonight, double-booked myself for a data acquisition seminar and didn't realize it starts right when our league does.
How was Ross's class? Sounded interesting, but I couldn't justify the price when the only data acquisition I use is VRS. I have done some of his other webinars, and his 101 and 201 class. I'm also signed up for his weekly e-mail. Usually has some pretty good stuff.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:45 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by krautcars
How was Ross's class? Sounded interesting, but I couldn't justify the price when the only data acquisition I use is VRS. I have done some of his other webinars, and his 101 and 201 class. I'm also signed up for his weekly e-mail. Usually has some pretty good stuff.
I missed the live presentation but have the links to the recording. Haven't watched it yet.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:55 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Definitely OUT for tonight, guys. Have a meeting with the adoption attorney late this afternoon, then an appointment early evening with the countertop guy.

Have fun!
Old 01-24-2018, 04:36 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Just a reminder to change to rolling start!
Old 01-24-2018, 11:06 PM
krautcars
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely OUT for tonight, guys. Have a meeting with the adoption attorney late this afternoon, then an appointment early evening with the countertop guy.

Have fun!
Missed you out there. You missed a hot track which made it tricky getting the nose to come in.

VIR should be challenging next week.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:16 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Rolling starts are needed for Daytona since you start on the banking.

Rolling starts everywhere else are tough because most tracks make you do a FULL LAP at 40mph. In my other league, we've found rolling starts tend to be more crash-happy than standing ones.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:48 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Rolling starts are needed for Daytona since you start on the banking.

Rolling starts everywhere else are tough because most tracks make you do a FULL LAP at 40mph. In my other league, we've found rolling starts tend to be more crash-happy than standing ones.
Are we Texas tonight? Holy crud getting her slowed down for left hander after the banking is tricky!!
Old 02-07-2018, 07:50 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Yep!

Still at the office... hopefully I can make it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread