Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 11:19 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Well we started with 5.... one missed the grid... another bounced it off a wall. 3 finished. Good run by all 3 though, we were a tight pack (~2s separated the top 3).

Track was greasy. Kevin and I both complained about losing the front a lot (once I got 2-3 laps in I had ZERO feel to the nose). Derby felt the opposite... I know he was running a different setup, so I'll have to go back and look at the differences. I know my tire pressures were spot on at the end but it just did NOT want to stick in the nose. I think perhaps I might've had too much rear wing? I haven't done that much cockpit karate in well, ever, I don't think

Justin - get a false positive on your GPU tests?

PCA is at Mid-O this weekend. IMSA is at COTA. Neither are my favorite.... but I'll run wherever. Any suggestions?
Old 05-04-2017, 11:26 AM
dabneyd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

COTA. Mid-Ohio reminds me of Barber. Maybe week after next for Mid-Ohio.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:06 PM
krautcars
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes that was a lot of fun last night! Was great on how close we were together. I was running the VRS setup from the IMSA weekend a couple weeks back. I just added one more click on the rear wing and it seemed to help some. The backend in the toe of the boot wanted to come out in practice, but in the race it was sticking much better coming out of there.

Yea I been practicing COTA for IMSA series for this week and it's tuff. Boundaries seem very tight where you can barely get a wheel off the track. I'm flexible as well as I will probably have to learn a lot more with whatever track we go to.

Have you guys ever done Zolder?
Old 05-04-2017, 02:31 PM
Bruce P
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to interrupt the racing talk here-- but it appears this might be the appropriate place for my question. I just recently completed the construction of my garage/man cave and want to install a simulator for when my car buddys visit and for my own enjoyment. The following is a system I have put together on paper and am curious as to any comments/suggestions. Thanks in advance
Rig -- Obutto Y3volution
Wheel -- Fanatec Clubsport V2 Porsche 918
Monitor Mount-- Obutto triple
Pedals-- Fanatec Clubsport V3
Shifter -- Fanatec Clubsport SQV1.5
Monitors -- 3 Ea Samsung 24 inch 144Hz Gaming Monitor
Computer--- Main Performance PC X6000K
Sound System --- Logitech Z9065.1
Old 05-04-2017, 04:54 PM
dabneyd
Intermediate

@krautcars, Zolder is a lot of fun. I'm good with that as well.

@Bruce P, Skip the triples and get an Oculus/Vive.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:23 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bruce P
Sorry to interrupt the racing talk here-- but it appears this might be the appropriate place for my question. I just recently completed the construction of my garage/man cave and want to install a simulator for when my car buddys visit and for my own enjoyment. The following is a system I have put together on paper and am curious as to any comments/suggestions. Thanks in advance
Rig -- Obutto Y3volution
Not a bad build. PC should last a while and the other components are a nice step up from the entry-level stuff.

Originally Posted by dabneyd
@krautcars, Zolder is a lot of fun. I'm good with that as well.

@Bruce P, Skip the triples and get an Oculus/Vive.
I'm inclined to agree, I think that VR is 100% the way to go.... but I'd suggest you try out a Rift/Vive first if you can.

Bonus to going with VR... is that in addition to not needing 2 extra monitors, you won't need the speakers either.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:37 PM
dabneyd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
but I'd suggest you try out a Rift/Vive first if you can.
The Oculus Rift?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:13 PM
krautcars
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce P
Rig -- Obutto Y3volution
I'm using all the Fanatec stuff you mentioned except I choose a different wheel rim. ClubSport Steering Wheel GT Forza Motorsport Leather because I also have a Xbox One. I know Jim and all them have higher end equipment, but starting off with the Fanatec stuff you will be fine with. Heck, I'm still swinging just one monitor with my stuff bolted down to a desk. I don't have room for more than one monitor and I would need to upgrade my PC to get the Oculus Rift. I'm just going to wait till I need to upgrade my computer before going with a Oculus.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:13 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

The Oculus Rift?
Yes. Sorry could have/should have been a little more specific.

Originally Posted by krautcars
I'm using all the Fanatec stuff you mentioned except I choose a different wheel rim. ClubSport Steering Wheel GT Forza Motorsport Leather because I also have a Xbox One. I know Jim and all them have higher end equipment, but starting off with the Fanatec stuff you will be fine with. Heck, I'm still swinging just one monitor with my stuff bolted down to a desk. I don't have room for more than one monitor and I would need to upgrade my PC to get the Oculus Rift. I'm just going to wait till I need to upgrade my computer before going with a Oculus.
Fanatec is good for the money. Definitely a step up from Logitech, etc.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:15 AM
dabneyd
Intermediate

Oh, I thought you were correcting my Oculus/Vive statement with Rift/Vive.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:46 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Oh, I thought you were correcting my Oculus/Vive statement with Rift/Vive.
Oh gotcha.

To clarify for Bruce...

Oculus Rift or Samsung Vive. Two similar products.

If you want "room scale" (first person shooters, etc. where you have to move and jump and swing your hands) then I think they're both about the same (capability and pricing.)

If you only care about racing, IMO Rift is the better way to go... because you can buy the Rift alone (no hand controllers) for less $$.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:49 AM
dabneyd
Intermediate

HTC Vive.

Here's how I break it down; If you want to do any VR stuff outside of racing, get the Vive. That said, the Oculus has a better strap and is slightly lighter and will work great for sim racing.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:21 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

HTC Vive.

Here's how I break it down; If you want to do any VR stuff outside of racing, get the Vive. That said, the Oculus has a better strap and is slightly lighter and will work great for sim racing.
That's about how I've heard it too.

I did pick up the hand controllers for the Rift (they were $100) and they're pretty damned cool... BUT it's really just a gadget/gimmick to me as 99% of my use is racing sims.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:25 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Justin I wonder if perhaps your issues are related to the network port on your PC?

You said you did 45 mins of testing and had no issues - was that "offline"? You dropped a few times last night, makes me wonder if maybe you've got a bad network card, network driver, etc? The error we all saw was the "throughput exceeded" error, usually when someone's connection times out.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:36 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Me dropping out is because I have to do a boot once I lose the screens. I've let it run in 'offline testing' and was getting the same symptom last month.

After I rage quit yesterday, I started thinking about other possibilities. So what happened was that screens went dark and I could still rev the engine etc, but I couldn't exit the car, which is weird because everything else still worked. That seems to imply that the keyboard and some logitech buttons also lost their connection. It also only ever happens after an extended period of high demand on the system. I'm now emotionally prepared to start throwing money at the problem and I think the best place to start now is with a new power supply unit.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread