Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 04:37 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Check your emails, black Friday renewal codes are out.
So the price for a 1 year went up to $110, and the discount is only 25%.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:18 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

A quick and dirty video of last night's round:

I set the camera to "Follow Most Exciting" and it looks like it focused entirely on Justin and I.

I did flip between different camera views to keep it somewhat interesting... some neat angles in there.

I might go back and cut it up for a highlight reel and make it (MUCH) shorter.

Was a good time though and with Phil, Justin and myself being so close in quali I thought for sure the whole race was gonna be a dogfight - especially when Phil wasted NO time making that move into the chicane!

I was really bummed he lost it on the exit. It would have been an awesome 3-way battle I bet.

Was fun chasing Justin. I had a few chances to get my nose up inside, we went side-by-side 2-3x... but I didn't have enough to make it stick.

Next time, Gadget. Next time.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:43 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did great for all of ~25 seconds :-)
Old 11-10-2016, 06:51 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Are we going to have a Sunday session?
Old 11-10-2016, 08:55 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

The netcode shows that I tagged a wall in your replay Jim. My car was still straight on my end. I must have come really close though.

If someone wants to set up a session in the league, just let me know and I'll make you an admin in the league. Sean used to do it, but I haven't seen him around for a while.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:34 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JustinL
The netcode shows that I tagged a wall in your replay Jim. My car was still straight on my end. I must have come really close though.
Yeah you definitely hit the wall on my end.

I was hoping it would slow you down, but it didn't. I guess i know why, now.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:57 PM
Burkey
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Bummed I missed it, out of town next Wed as well, will make it one night soon.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:44 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 212 Posts

Sorry if this has already been covered, but it's a little hard to catch up on 425 pages ;-)
Ok, I just started with iRacing and have two questions
I am looking for a car which is similar in handling and lap times to my ride (2009 C4S)
I picked the Miata Cup car, is there anything other you guys recommend?
This car feels like I am driving on ice: I am driving my usual lines and brake points on a track I know very well, but keep spinning out at places and situations which are no problem in the real world
Old 11-13-2016, 06:48 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Easy on the throttle and brake, adjust your tire pressure.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:02 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Sorry if this has already been covered, but it's a little hard to catch up on 425 pages ;-)
Ok, I just started with iRacing and have two questions
I am looking for a car which is similar in handling and lap times to my ride (2009 C4S)
I picked the Miata Cup car, is there anything other you guys recommend?
This car feels like I am driving on ice: I am driving my usual lines and brake points on a track I know very well, but keep spinning out at places and situations which are no problem in the real world
In the real world, you have a lot more feedback about how the car is rotating. I would bet that in iracing, you're losing the car much earlier than you think you are and by then it's into an unsaveable spin. You really need to have the wheel set up right so you can feel the force feedback before your eyes let you know that the car has yawed beyond the limit. Make sure the force bar in the top right isn't clipping into the red. Try different settings until you can feel the grip through the steering wheel. Also a single monitor really limits your eyes ability to detect yaw, so a VR headset or triple monitor will improve the feedback your eyes are getting.

Finally your choice of car is quite different from a C4S. The miata should be quite different as it's RWD front engined compared to your AWD rear engine. I think there is a version of the RUF RT12 that is AWD. It will have way more power than a C4S, but the dynamics should be closer.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:30 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

The new Miata is also much more tail happy than the old (circa 2015) Miata. The circa 2015 Miata drives like, well, my Miata, but with more power. The new one drives like some? car, I guess.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:04 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

JustinL nailed it.
If you were to put a cheap plastic (electric) wheel and plastic pedals in your (real) car it would be difficult to feel & drive the car, right?
I've driven iRacing in a SimRig with an AccuForce direct drive motor (google it) and the difference was night and day. Can you do iRacing with a cheap wheel? Absolutely, but you are going to be "driving the wheel" and will not feel the simulated car physics .. IOW, it won't feel "real".

Now if you tell me you have a $1000 set of wheels and pedals then I'd want to know what kind and how much time you've spent setting them up.

>> I am looking for a car which is similar in handling and lap times to my ride (2009 C4S)

That would be the Ruf, no?

PS - Turn the tire noise (Options > Sound) way up. You'll hear the tires slide way before you see it.

Last edited by Apex996; 11-14-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:53 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Yeah - let us know what equipment you're using. What wheel, pedals, etc. and what's your display setup like? Single screen, triple screens, VR headset?

With a single screen and a <$300 Logitech setup, you're going to need to spend a bit of time "learning the sim". That's NOT to say that it can't be rewarding or even useful without expensive gear - just that, you're going to have to learn how to "tune in" to the bits and pieces from the sim to help you get and maintain control.

My guess is that you're "driving [your] usual lines and brake points on a track [you] know very well" but you're missing the queues that something is amiss - tire lockup, yaw/rotation, etc. It's all there, even with the inexpensive gear, it just takes a bit more time to figure out how to tune in.

The tips above to turning up tire noise is a good one. Otherwise, it just takes a little time.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:43 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 212 Posts

Thanks, I am using a - rather old - Logitech Momo Force Feedback wheel, from my Need4Speed days.
I am currently on a one monitor setup (wanted to try if iRacing works for me before pulling the trigger on an Oculus Rift). The PC should be powerful enough: Intel i7-6700 with 16 GB of DDR4 RAM and a Nvidia 970GTX card

Not sure I want to spend $1,800 on a Accuforce wheel. can you guys recommend something a little bit more for the "budget oriented"?

OK, looks like
a) I need to play with the FF settings
b) pump up the volume
c) I picked a bad, super twitchy car, so I guess I start with the base 2015 Miata, I tried the RUF but with 650+ hp and maybe twice as much torque as my car it's so insanely fast that it's not even remotely close to my ride.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:34 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Start with the Miata, then try the spec ford, move your way up to the RUF track. Fanatec makes a nice mid-level wheel package and very nice pedals. Here is an article about Xbox one wheels (that work for PC) at different price points: http://perfectsimracer.com/best-xbox...-wheel-review/

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread