Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 12:38 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that seems fun....and hard ! I would imagine the baseline setup would be the most friendly setup for the tires. When you say 4 hours incident free, you mean you try as much as possible to get no incidents I guess to avoid using the towing for obvious reasons. Scheduling 6 people is probably the hardest part, idealy you get people from different time zones.

Is it at Daytona? Do you have the link to the event description? Never mind, got it.

iRacing’s First 24 Hour Race Set for January 17-18

Like their counterparts in the Tudor United SportsCar Series participating in next weekend’s “Roar Before the 24,” iRacers are invited to take part in a pre-season test on January 17-18 in preparation for the iRacing 24 Hours of Daytona, the opening round of the 2015 Road Warriors Series, later this month. In addition to fine-tuning their virtual prototypes and GT cars during the test event, competitors will have a chance to familiarize themselves with iRacing’s driver swap/team feature that makes it possible for two or more drivers thousands of miles apart to race the same virtual car around the clock. As well, the test will enable iRacing to optimize the complex systems associated with staging three dozen or more simultaneous online races -- with upwards of 40 cars apiece -- for 24 hours. This test race will be an official race but will not count in the standings of the Road Warrior Series.

“Whether you’re talking about drivers, teams or sanctioning bodies, pre-season testing is an essential element of motorsports,” says Steve Myers, Executive Vice President and Executive Producer of iRacing.com. “It’s only fitting to have a pre-season test for our competitors and a final systems check before iRacing’s inaugural 24 hour event. Since the introduction of our driver swap/team feature last month, private leagues have successfully run scores of races lasting up to six hours with 50 or more cars. We want to make sure our first 24 hour race goes just as smoothly.”

iRacing’s Roar Before the 24 features the HPD ARX-01c in the prototype class while the GT class includes the full range of GT3 cars available on the iRacing service including the BMW Z4, Ford GT, McLaren MP4-12C and RUF Track. The class-winning drivers in all splits of the iRacing Roar Before the 24 will each be awarded $50 in iRacing credits and all participants will earn iTested Awards.

Scheduled for January 31, the iRacing 24 Hours of Daytona is the first official event in a 2015 Road Warrior Series consisting of virtual versions of some of the world’s great road races. The series will utilize a variety of cars with almost half the races being multi-class. It includes 10 races spanning all 12 months of the calendar with points being tracked all year long.

See the Road Warriors forum thread for full schedule and complete details.

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/po...5.page#8643161
Old 01-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Just noticed that the HPD is in there, we were in a hosted session the other night with GT Cars and the HPD and this thing is so fast, you have to constantly keep your eyes in your mirrors cause they just instantly appear beside you ! Doing this for a full two hours must be quite a challenge
Old 01-13-2015, 12:54 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Sysgen
Just noticed that the HPD is in there, we were in a hosted session the other night with GT Cars and the HPD and this thing is so fast, you have to constantly keep your eyes in your mirrors cause they just instantly appear beside you ! Doing this for a full two hours must be quite a challenge
I ran the first two 2.4's and one of the 1.2H of Sebring events. Once you settle into a rhythm it's not too bad. Key is to have a stable, predictable setup that lasts. I made the Sebring event with 0 inc's (and the C6R @ Sebring is a tough one to do with 0 inc's!) The two 2.4's I managed to get by without any major incidents, I think total was 2-3 inc's.

As for mixed classes... I did one with the DP, and one with the Mustang. IMO it was WAY easier with the Mustang. Just assume the DP will dive-bomb you if you see one in your mirrors and otherwise all is well. With the DP I found it hard to judge approach speeds and sometimes closed in on the slower cars much more quickly than I anticipated... and then found myself in "uh oh" situations where I *had* to dive-bomb. I also hated conditions where the Mustangs (when I was in the DP) would deliberately try to avoid the DPs... and wind up doing unexpected things. (The joys of racing online with people who have otherwise never raced in real life and don't understand the concept of "hold your line" and "let the faster car figure out how to get around you.")
Old 01-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Judging the closing distance is the hard part, especially at night like it was, you just briefly see lights then Boom, they're on your bumper ! That's what I did though, just kept my line and let them figure out how to pass me
Old 01-13-2015, 02:47 PM
Anthony Nguyen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds awesome! Wish I could do it, but I doubt I will survive the full 4 hours incident free. Plus, I don't think I am a high enough license to participate. =\
Old 01-13-2015, 03:10 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

AH CRAP I didn't realize there was a minimum license level.

****. Well that kills off a few guys I asked.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:09 PM
Burkey
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I don't recall what the min driver count is (probably 2?)... but I do know that they DO have min seat time requirements for each driver. I'll have to look it up. I recall that the min drive time is some percentage based on # of total drivers on the team... so you can't have one driver do 23 hours and 45 minutes, and split the rest among the other drivers, etc.

I would envision 6 drivers, 4 hours each (two ~2-hour stints a piece). You pull into the pits at the end of your stint and there is a "get out" button (or something similar). The next driver sits at the config/replay screen, and when the previous driver gets out, the next driver sees a "get in the car" button... and off he goes.

How long will the RUF go on a full tank? Will it make it 2 hours? I forgot - the 2.4 usually has 2 pit stops in the DP IIRC. I'm pretty sure the Mustang did it in one stop, but it's been a few years.

I think the big challenge (after finding enough people who are capable of running almost 4 hours each incident free) would be a setup that would both (a) work for everyone and (b) last.

I've been working on a set that feels really good... but did a GT3 series race this weekend (~30 minutes) and the rear tires were TOAST. No way it would last 2 hours without putting it into the wall. I'll need a lot of setup work to come up with something that will be easy to drive and consistent over a 2 hour period.

Still... I LOVE endurance racing. We do 2:45 stints in my Lemons car and LOVE IT. If the team can get the car through the first ~5-6 laps incident free, then we just gotta burn down the laps to the finish.
I have been doing a lot of GT3 races I can never get the rear tires to last, tried a ton of different set-ups, most guys complain about the same thing. The 24 hrs sounds like a fun, 2 hours is a lot of driving though, did some 75 minutes last year and they were tough.

Burkey
Old 01-13-2015, 05:11 PM
Burkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anthony Nguyen
Sounds awesome! Wish I could do it, but I doubt I will survive the full 4 hours incident free. Plus, I don't think I am a high enough license to participate. =\
Just go to a bunch of skip barber races, finish top 3 with few incidents and you can get like .9 added to your license, I think I went from d to b in less then a week.

Burkey
Old 01-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Anthony Nguyen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone up for some practice tonight?
Old 01-14-2015, 12:35 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

So Barber tonight. I'm all practiced up at Daytona and haven't turned a lap at Barber for a long time. Should be a lot of fun as it's such a great track.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:13 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

We had a great battle going for the top three. I lost it on entry to the rollercoaster section and there was no saving it. I think it comes down to not enough practice and time with the setup to make sure it doesn't do anything funny on the longer runs. Next week will be better as I've had more time to practice at Daytona... but the draft lock race will make it more unpredictable.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:51 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

I used your setup for part of the practice and the qualification, but decided to switch to a more stable (i.e. slower) setup for the race, it paid off
Old 01-15-2015, 12:15 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Speaking of slower, I backed it down to 1.28's with 5 or 6 laps left after everyone around me crashed. Sloooooow motion.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:44 PM
Burkey
Rennlist Member

Was pretty happy with third, was way off the pace but not much time on that track and it is pretty technical reminds me of Mid Ohio a bit. After I could not stay with Tony, Jim and Justin just backed it off a bit not to do anything stupid
Old 01-15-2015, 12:46 PM
Burkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Burkey
Just go to a bunch of skip barber races, finish top 3 with few incidents and you can get like .9 added to your license, I think I went from d to b in less then a week.

Burkey
I was wrong about this series you only need a D license.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread