Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Old 12-14-2014, 02:07 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

I could come play a little later. Gotta go get a tree first.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:47 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for hosting, at least was in there for an hour and was able to get constantly into the 1.27's but you still have about 1/2 sec on me.
Oh yes I love the new wheel, the GT3 RS was nice but this is a few notches up from there, still playing with the settings but getting close to what I like.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:47 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Got consistent in the mid 27s with one flyer 26.9 (on cold tires?). Not sure I like this track, feels broken and disjointed, and it seems really hard on front tires.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:47 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

The long straight is pretty boring but it might be fun if there is close racing. I've tried it with no wing and quite a bit of wing and my times aren't much different but the speed on the straight is.

Is someone going to set up an official practice for tonight?
Old 12-14-2014, 08:05 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Hey, no practice session again, I'm going to post one in the hosted section. Password rennlist
Old 12-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry guys, not sure why it didnt post up.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:09 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Indy Rev
Sorry guys, not sure why it didnt post up.
Looks like it was scheduled for yesterday.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
2: Skip the triples and go Oculus Rift. Now - I've been touting the Oculus Rift for a while now, and I recognize I'm also a bit of an "Early adopter" when it comes to this stuff, so my opinion might be slanted more than it needs to be. Chris (baddogz) and Justin here both recently bought them, and I know Chris has been using his a few weeks. Justin just tried his out, officially in a RL league race, this past week. Hopefully they'll both share their 2 cents.

But MY opinions - once you get used to the lower resolution of the Rift's screen.... no comparison to triples. Your wife might make fun of you for wearing goggles, but it's true 3D, 100% head tracking. Pulling into traffic, you literally look over your shoulder, out the window past the B-pillar, to make sure no one is coming. You look through the turns to the apex and the next turns. You see your "hands" holding the wheel in front of you. You use your depth perception to gauge distances... cars in front actually get closer to you, they just don't get "bigger" on the screen.
Yeah I've thought about the Rift. It does sound really appealing. I may wait for it to get better.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:57 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Asquared
Yeah I've thought about the Rift. It does sound really appealing. I may wait for it to get better.
I'm enjoying using the Rift, and I'm sure I don't have it set up as properly as Jim's is due to lack of time to screw with it, general impatience, etc.

My spacial awareness has gone wayyy up over using a 42" single- I no longer worry much about tapping or turning in on someone. Laptimes have gotten a bit better for me as well, I feel more comfortable in the car because of the additional visibility.

Although: My Rift inexplicably shut off on me (not sure if a rift issue, a system issue, a power surge, ghosts in my machine?) when I was running top 5 at Sebring last week and it ruined my race. The lights went out and I Stevie Wonder'd it into the wall at 1. I unleashed a torrent of obscenities that I'm sure my neighbors could hear. As it was an isolated incident, I don't know how to troubleshoot it. I'm going to run tonight for an extended period to see if it happens again.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:12 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I finished upgrading on the weekend with the help of some dude with way too many piercings and gauges in his face, though he seemed to know his computer parts. At nearly max detail in the rift I've got my frame rate into the 100s, I still find it a bit disorienting, but it should be better than last week.

What do you guys have your memory sliders at in the game? Flying the spaceship around in Elite Dangerous is pretty freaking amazing now too. I've been finding all the weak links in my system. Next thing is to upgrade the power supply because my Mobo shuts off when it detects fluctuations.

What do you guys do with old computer hardware? I've now got a mid range PC laying around in parts.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll be hosting something tonight (8:30ish) at Mosport or WGI for the GT3 cars + some more quick cars.

You're all invited.

c.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:54 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Charles, that was really nice, had a ton of fun
Old 12-16-2014, 01:05 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JustinL
I finished upgrading on the weekend with the help of some dude with way too many piercings and gauges in his face, though he seemed to know his computer parts. At nearly max detail in the rift I've got my frame rate into the 100s, I still find it a bit disorienting, but it should be better than last week.

What do you guys have your memory sliders at in the game? Flying the spaceship around in Elite Dangerous is pretty freaking amazing now too. I've been finding all the weak links in my system. Next thing is to upgrade the power supply because my Mobo shuts off when it detects fluctuations.

What do you guys do with old computer hardware? I've now got a mid range PC laying around in parts.
Cool sounds like you're on the right path. Make sure if you're using Extended mode you have V-sync off. It's just enough of a delay to make things feel "off".

As for memory sliders, I edited one of the .ini files because the sliders in the game won't let you go far enough. I have the main memory set to 6000 (iRacing limits you to a max of ~4000 so that's actually where it sits) and video memory at 3700 or so (I have a 4GB card).

A little late, but here's the video from Sebring:

I still need to fix the one from Montreal. Out in LA this week, will have to wait until I get back to re-record and re-upload.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sysgen
Thanks Charles, that was really nice, had a ton of fun
It was amazing! Since you fixed my computer and my positionning, I'm way faster!

For those reading this: in practive last night at Mosport, Vanasse (McLaren) did 1:17:928, I (BMW) did 1:17:933 and Sauvé (Ruf) was far behind at 1:17:991

I've never been able to be as fast as both Stephane. So I owe a big thank to Sysgen (Sauvé) for making my rig work properly. And few bottles of wine so I can stay up front I'm not there yet when comes the race, but the speed is there. So with some more practice, I'll be able to play with you guys. If I can learn how to drive the Ruf properly...

I've gained 2.8-3 seconds just by making it all working properly.

Now this is getting seriously fun!

c.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My pleasure

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread