Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK 987.2 Overheating Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 08:14 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

They are running the car at Sebring this weekend.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:35 PM
rackhenry
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
The factory has installed a couple of oil to coolant heat exchangers on these vehicles. They are inadequate for all but the most basic track usage. If you are going to track the car hard or racenit you must add an additional air based cooler.

Furthermore there are two gearboxes. The "open" diff gearbox has a smaller diff. When we designed an LSD for it we were forced to make a smaller LSD. The smaller LSD runs hotter.

If one is serious about building a racecar, spend the extra money up front. Get the LSD version of the gearbox. The LSD for racing we designed is do much more robust and able to better distribute loads and heat. If you are spending 6 figures on a racecar, don't cut corners. Pay a little extra on the front end. The guys who have paid $7500 for a crate LSD gearbox (core exchange) and then had to buy another proper Motorsports LSD have an extra 5 figures in the car. This is not isolated to my LSD. My competition claims their LSD is good to go for your PDK. It's small and will wear out your gearbox, if not overheat things, much more quickly.

Heat is the enemy. Bigger is better and more cooling increases lifespan.
Good to know, this is really helpful!!
The following users liked this post:
SSI Performance (07-12-2020)
Old 12-31-2014, 07:40 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Is there a need to cool the PDK clutch fluid in addition to the diff oil?
Old 12-31-2014, 08:06 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by mikew968
Is there a need to cool the PDK clutch fluid in addition to the diff oil?
Hi Mike, I have only seen 1 car before come through here with a true PDK cooler. While this would be the most efficient way to cool the fluid in the PDK which has its own heat exchanger from the factory, it makes me nervous. We removed a tiny bit of fluid from a car and it resulted in needing a calibration. I'm a big fan of leaving that thing alone to work as intended AND "doing everything else." We avoid that cooler but wrap headers, cool the gears and LSD, open up radiators and improve ducting. You definitely want the gears and LSD fluid being cooled but we have had no problems with our approach. Again, the best way to cool the PDK clutch fluid is to run an air-oil cooler directly to it but I'm a HUGE advocate of not screwing with stuff that doesn't need futzing especially when I've seen it get stuck in neutral because of a fluid level change.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:49 PM
rackhenry
Rennlist Member

This is an interesting thread, I am looking to purchase a 987.2 PDK I can for use as a track car, not race car. Perhaps others can chime in, but it seems like the following order of LSD non LSD would actually help with the PDK track overheating issues, can anyone confirm my assumptions.

Also been doing a lot of digging all over, has anyone actually solved this problem? I don't really see anything the clearly states this mod for x will fix this issue 100 percent.

1. A non LSD car would run the coolest as no LSD heat transfer to PDK clutch side
2. A factory LSD car would overheat more than 1 but less than 3 because its a beefier larger unit?
3. A non lsd car with aftermarket LSD would overheat most as its a smaller unit?

Conclusion a manual with no LSD would overheat least as it cooling system has less to deal with (PDK heat and LSD heat)

Lot of conjecture on my part and hoping for some answers from those that are running any of the configurations I mentioned.

Im not married to any trans yet, so if a six speed has no cooling issues then that for me would be a relatively easy choice.

Thanks much!
Old 01-01-2015, 07:03 PM
Damon in Pittsburgh
Rennlist Member

Wow.....thanks all, for this discussion. Im with rack henry - i was planning on a 987.2 S pdk to include DE's and stumbled upon this thread. I am really glad i found this info before my purchase. I'm ok doing some modifications - was already planning on seats/roll bar - but it wasn't my intention to have to do extensive cooling upgrades on account of some mid engine design challenges.

Looking forward to any updates. I assume most are much quicker than me (1:47 at mid ohio) but it seems that ANY track driving sessions (that aren't "sunday cruising") above 20 minutes can lead to overheating......is that true?
Old 01-01-2015, 09:13 PM
rackhenry
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Damon in Pittsburgh
Wow.....thanks all, for this discussion. Im with rack henry - i was planning on a 987.2 S pdk to include DE's and stumbled upon this thread. I am really glad i found this info before my purchase. I'm ok doing some modifications - was already planning on seats/roll bar - but it wasn't my intention to have to do extensive cooling upgrades on account of some mid engine design challenges.

Looking forward to any updates. I assume most are much quicker than me (1:47 at mid ohio) but it seems that ANY track driving sessions (that aren't "sunday cruising") above 20 minutes can lead to overheating......is that true?
I plan do do mods as well, safety, suspension etc. however no idea what this costs to fix and even if it is something that is reasonable for a street driven car. So far have not been able to obtain a solid answer.. Starting to wonder if the PDK is really worth the potential headache... Don't want to buy a car then find out oh darn, its got major issues costing 10K to fix cooling. Lots of assumptions here, but thinking a six speed with a center radiator is pretty rock solid in terms of cooling, but again, still digging and hoping someone provides some solid advice/feedback!
Old 01-01-2015, 11:13 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Get yourself to a real race shop that has DPK race car experience and get their opinion. This is a complex topic with a lot of $ at stake.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:54 PM
rackhenry
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Get yourself to a real race shop that has DPK race car experience and get their opinion. This is a complex topic with a lot of $ at stake.

Sound advice any suggestions on shops to talk to? Thanks
Old 01-02-2015, 12:24 AM
jcastle
Racer

Get yourself to a real race shop that has PDK race car experience and get their opinion. This is a complex topic with a lot of $ at stake.
+1. The cayman is a wonderful car. Few if any mods needed for HPDE. As you push the car to its limits (advanced DE/racing), cooling becomes critical. LSD(PDK), engine, rear brakes, front brakes, all have to be addressed.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:37 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by jcastle
+1. The cayman is a wonderful car. Few if any mods needed for HPDE. As you push the car to its limits (advanced DE/racing), cooling becomes critical. LSD(PDK), engine, rear brakes, front brakes, all have to be addressed.
+2

By FAR, this is the best/most popular P-car platform for drivers that I work with at the track, split about 80% club/pro race and 20% DE. Next up are 997 Cups...

A fair number of drivers start with the manual and progress to the PDK, others jump right in. Can you tell I'm a BIG fan of PDK?

Yes, thermal issues do occasionally surface, but they're well known and taken care of in well sorted cars fielded or built by recognized shops with experience in these cars.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-02-2015, 09:43 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rackhenry
Sound advice any suggestions on shops to talk to? Thanks
Where are you located?
Old 01-02-2015, 11:46 AM
rackhenry
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcastle

Im pretty experienced 15+ years and raced karts, DE is of no interest TT is my goal and eventually full track. So I will be driving hard off the bat. I do get answers , such as it needs mods. I am doing a cost calucluation and budget, to get the car ready is part of that. Not having hard fixes and hard numbers is not ideal. Reaching out to folks that track these hard, not DE. Should have been more clear..

Regards,
Old 01-02-2015, 11:47 AM
rackhenry
Rennlist Member

Where are you located?
Im in SoCal, calling a local race shop today.

Best!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:49 AM
rackhenry
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
+2

By FAR, this is the best/most popular P-car platform for drivers that I work with at the track, split about 80% club/pro race and 20% DE. Next up are 997 Cups...

A fair number of drivers start with the manual and progress to the PDK, others jump right in. Can you tell I'm a BIG fan of PDK?

Yes, thermal issues do occasionally surface, but they're well known and taken care of in well sorted cars fielded or built by recognized shops with experience in these cars.

I know why you're a fan of PDK ( I think anyone who has driven a real sequential and has driven PDK would have to love it!!, its pretty darn amazing!! My research has indicated that overheating is a known issue, here in SoCal where some tracks are over 100F ambient, this is something I need to have a fix for before I go to track. I am building a track car, not a DE car. 99 percent track right off the bat.

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: PDK 987.2 Overheating Issues