Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charlotte Motor Speedway ROVAL Experience?

Old 07-09-2011, 03:22 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Charlotte Motor Speedway ROVAL Experience?

3 PCA Regions are hosting a DE in about a month. (link) I’ve never driven on a roval setup, and am very excited about the experience.

Curious if anyone else has any tips or stories.
Attached Images   
Old 07-09-2011, 03:59 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Are you going clockwise on the second day? Love to do the infield course. Will they turn on the new TV?
Old 07-09-2011, 04:05 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

I think the plan is to do CCW with the in field both days.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:36 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

That sounds fun. I think a DE with just the oval would get old after a session on two. If we weren't doing Porschefest in our region that weekend (big event at summit) I'd check this out.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

We were there last weekend with NASA.

The infield part of the track is rougher than a washboard, but tolerable. The transition at NASCAR Turn 1 is violent at speed so work your way up the track a bit gradually.

I was running Hoosier A's that had many heat cycles on them, but plenty of tread. I didn't want to wear out a new set of tires since there was no chance of winning replacements.

During the 1st hot lap of the race, I noticed a substantial vibration, but thought it was probably rubber pickup and I'd drive through it. It only got worse. Going into NASCAR T.3 at about 130, I knew I could go faster, but the vibration only got worse, so I backed out a bunch.

After 4 laps, I called it a day and pulled in.

Here's what I found that was causing the vibration. It looks like a belt separation:

There was Hoosier A on another guy's car that did the same thing during the weekend.

I don't know if it was the A's construction (I don't think it's any different than R's except for the tread compound) or the age of the tire or what.

Going into T3 at big speeds, make sure all your stuff is right. It was a fun track and I'll go again next year, and probably on A's, but newer ones.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigpinekey
We were there last weekend with NASA.

The infield part of the track is rougher than a washboard, but tolerable. The transition at NASCAR Turn 1 is violent at speed so work your way up the track a bit gradually.
The transition from the infield to the oval is abrupt, to the point that folks have cracked a windshield. Also very little run off on the infield. . . Be ready to meet Mr. Wall.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:30 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran CMS DEs during the '80s and '90s, but only remember two cars hitting an infield tire wall; both were 911s, and both had the rear slide out in the infield down-hill left-hander approaching the re-entrance to the oval at NASCAR 1, and both backed into the wall at the bottom of the hill. I used to be screaming through that section to get momentum for the banking, but seeing those two hits cured that.

Don't remember any cracked windshields from the transition onto the oval at CMS, but remember several at Rockingham (NC Motor Speedway) at the entrance to the infield from the back straight. That transition seemed more abrupt than the one at CMS to me. Even so, I tried to transition onto the banking at CMS very gradually.

I've only spun completely three times in DE; all three in the CMS infield, but didn't hit anything.

I did my very first DE at CMS, and later my first stint as an instructor there. It will be nice to return, but I hope to avoid my fourth spin.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:00 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I did a shelby club event there probably 10 years ago and agree with all these comments including getting back onto the oval section in turn 1. I also feel like back then there wasn't much in the way of burms on track out so you were basically on the grass if you track out too far.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:37 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to do it just to get it out of your system.

Seeing all the paint and gouge marks on the upper wall will make you smile. Entering T3 at 150+ will really make you appreciate what those guys (and gals ) do over and over at higher speeds.

Your Bumblebee is setup for road courses and will be darty... you will need to hold onto the wheel... or the Force, Luke, will pull you right into the wall.

Make sure your shoes are in good condition. Blow a tire and you are TOAST.

Best advice I had at Lowe's was from Lariscy... if you start to lose the rear, turn left so the car spins down toward the infield. If you catch the rear with your 'normal' corrections, as soon as you hook up, you're going to be seeing the wall. Generally speaking, of course.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:41 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Sheesh - it sounds like I'm going to be pushing myself to do 45mph!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:55 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Having learned DE at Pocono, unless I am missing something this is not all that much fun....at least for a lower powered car like mine. I much prefer a road course to an oval....more suited to me and to my car.

PS -the infields at pocono are also poorly maintained....a fact I did not realize until experiencing other tracks.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

The transition to the oval is not bad *if* you turn onto the apron, and then lane-change to the oval.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I did my first open track day there in 1984, then instructed for TrackTime 1987-88, then Car Guys from 1990-1997. Great track, you'll love it. Treat T2 and Nascar T1 entry with respect, 3A and 3B are a lot of fun and T4 is how fast you can stop to turn tight at the top of the hill!

Have fun!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-12-2011, 11:28 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SH || NC
Sheesh - it sounds like I'm going to be pushing myself to do 45mph!
Lots of interesting comments.

How often do you go off track at other DE's? How often have you hit walls or barriers at other DE's?

I've raced CMS the past two years and will be able two race the roval twice this year. It takes a while to get oriented and if you have not been on a banked oval the perspective is foreign. I would think it would be similar to your first time going through South Bend at VIR or under the Bridge and down the hill at Road Atlanta. You can go very fast if you want too. The garages are great. Watch you right side tire pressures and wear. The only issues with set up usually is from the G-loads going into Nascar 3. Tires can rub if the car is too low. Not a big deal but something to watch. Go for it you'll have fun.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:12 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 515 Likes on 276 Posts

There are those that LOVE running CMS, those that do not. It's like a much smaller version of Daytona. If you have a fast, planted car, you like it. If not...well....

I'm not a fan, but I can see how you could like it a lot. It does take getting used to, coming off the oval onto the infield, then back on. But...you gotta do it at least once. If you like it, then more.

There are a few GT3 guys that have been asking me all year when they could sign up because they've been excited about running there.

Go for it, have fun. It's different, but isn't this Drivers Ed...as in EDUCATION??? You'll definitely learn something...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Charlotte Motor Speedway ROVAL Experience?