Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   brake rotors and pads help (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/641274-brake-rotors-and-pads-help.html)

DINOROCZ 06-27-2011 12:24 PM

brake rotors and pads help

Hey I started doing some DE events with my car and was wondering what some of you guys are using for good track/street setup... I'd like to keep the stock calipers but upgrade the rotors and pads and also do some steel brake hoses.

Please share some of your expertise with a track noobie, thanks in advance

Matt Romanowski 06-27-2011 01:00 PM

It helps if you tell us what your car is...

DINOROCZ 06-27-2011 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski (Post 8668638)
It helps if you tell us what your car is...

Good point, figured my avatar would help, its MY 07 turbo

thanks again

P.J.S. 06-27-2011 02:29 PM

Craig at Rennstore for some Giro disc rotors and pads of your choosing

KaiB 06-27-2011 03:56 PM

Fluid???

Carrera51 06-27-2011 05:01 PM

You have a 997 Turbo and just started doing DE's with it. I would not change a thing at this stage. Your stock brakes are up to the task and then some.

Down the road, I would do the lines, and switch to a more track oriented pad and fluid.

DINOROCZ 06-29-2011 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Carrera51 (Post 8669447)
You have a 997 Turbo and just started doing DE's with it. I would not change a thing at this stage. Your stock brakes are up to the task and then some.

Down the road, I would do the lines, and switch to a more track oriented pad and fluid.

I would think so too, but its not the case, I was at pocono last weekend and the first few sessions the brakes were fine, but on the last 2 sessions they started to fade heavily, even to the point of locking up under hard braking... that track the way it was set up that day was allowing me to get to approx. 160mph on the straights and under heavy braking the stockers where definetely not ample (at least towards the end of each 20-30 min session).

Wondering if I should just keep the stock rotors and go with a set of Pagid yellow? Please keep the info coming, i have another DE event lined up and would like to swap these pads before that event.

racing916 06-29-2011 10:54 PM

Pagid Yellows work great. I like my Hawk Blues and feel they have plenty of stopping power and are cheaper. With Pagid you do get quality but you pay more for the name.

Carrera51 06-30-2011 12:12 AM

Dinorocz:
You got fade because the stock pads heated up past their effective temp range. If you make the pad switch make sure you flush the brake fluid since you got that hot as well. If you are going to be doing more events at Pocono running that configuration of the track, then the Pagid Yellows would be a good choice. They last, and are pretty easy on the rotors. If you drive the car on the street on them, they will be noisy and dusty when cold. If the car isn't a daily driver, then you could live with it.

I would still stick with the OE rotors.

Steve: We've found that Hawk Blues work fine on a lighter weight car, and not so well on a heavy, high hp car. A 997 TT would cook them because of it's power and weight.

Thanks,

racing916 06-30-2011 12:15 AM

Good Point! I guess that is why they work so well for me, my car only weighs 2008 lbs. with driver and gas.

Originally Posted by Carrera51 (Post 8676636)
Dinorocz:
You got fade because the stock pads heated up past their effective temp range. If you make the pad switch make sure you flush the brake fluid since you got that hot as well. If you are going to be doing more events at Pocono running that configuration of the track, then the Pagid Yellows would be a good choice. They last, and are pretty easy on the rotors. If you drive the car on the street on them, they will be noisy and dusty when cold. If the car isn't a daily driver, then you could live with it.

Steve: We've found that Hawk Blues work fine on a lighter weight car, and not so well on a heavy, high hp car. A 997 TT would cook them because of it's power and weight.

Thanks,

DINOROCZ 06-30-2011 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Carrera51 (Post 8676636)
Dinorocz:

Thanks,

Excellent info, I am doing a flush and while I do I'm also going to change to steel hoses (easier while flushing fluid). I guess I'm gonna give the stock rotors (albeit new) another chance with pagid yellows! Thanks for the help and I'll keep you guys posted

IMGT3 06-30-2011 11:59 AM

DINOROCZ:

Let us know if you need some help sourcing parts, we will be more than happy to help and make sure you get a great price and service.

-Chuck

Edward 06-30-2011 01:12 PM

Lots of discussion on braided-steel lines, and not really universal love for them. Not to mention some are not even DOT rated, which means you are rolling dice as to whether they are even as durable as stock rubber lines!! IMHO, you're much better off sticking with stock brake lines, and it's easy enough to checks one's lines as a matter of course when track-prepping (you pros out there feel free to correct me here).

I dunno if PFC makes pads for your car, but they likely do. It is a superb track pad, has served both my cars well on the track (where the 993 is at stock weight) with excellent feel and zero fade. Worth checking out and comparing to the Pagids, IMHO.

Edward

swftiii 06-30-2011 01:36 PM

I agree with Mark.

Porsche Rotors have been known to be of high quality and plenty sufficient for DE. I would look at upgrading your fluid and pads, but you aren't going to find a good 'dual purpose' pad. Pads that can handle the heat of track driving will sqeal on the street...Learn how to swap out your brake pads - takes about 5 minutes per corner, then you can switch for the track and the street.

Enjoy.

Nick Wong 06-30-2011 01:38 PM

Get more cooling to your brakes. Your problem isn't pad compound, it's cooling.

Put on the GT3RS 997.2 ducts and air deflectors. That should help your brakes, especially the rears.