Ken Block to make Formula 1 debut at Monza

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:49 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts
Default Ken Block to make Formula 1 debut at Monza

Has Top Gear turned into the motorsports version of The Onion?

If they turn Monza into a gymkhana track for the test, this could be very interesting.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/k...nza-2011-06-13

Ken Block is set to make his Formula One debut in August this year when he'll get the opportunity to drive Pirelli's Toyota test car. Oh dear.

Pirelli, as you're well aware, was charged with instigating much hullabaloo and many excitements as official tyre supplier. They did so by making tyres out of paper mache and Kleenex. Big box ticked there, you'd agree.

Now its giving Mr Block the chance to have a one-off spin in the 700bhp 2009 Toyota F1 car - used to test the tyres worn by Mssrs Vettel and Hamilton and co - at the famous Monza circuit in Italy on August 5.

Why the ‘oh dear'? If you own an Internet or a rectangular device used to watch moving pictures, you'll be well aware of Mr Block's tempestuous on-off relationship with tyres. He doesn't like them. They don't like him. And we're not entirely sure Pirelli owns enough tyres to sate the ‘Hoonigan's' appetite for sliding.

"I can't wait to discover Formula One for myself," says our Block. "I need to be realistic about what I can do, but I know that it's going to be a lot of fun and take hooning to a whole new level." Even Pirelli admits that Ken's test of the PZero hard and medium compound have less performance than softs, but have increased durability to "gymkhana-style doughnuts". Like we said, oh dear.

Will Pirelli have enough tyres left over to supply the rest of the F1 grid? Will Ken Block ever learn to drive properly? Nobody knows. Until we find out, sit back, grab a cup of tea and a cucumber sandwich and enjoy a spot of light drifting. With an astonished James May in the passenger seat.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:26 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

epic fail looming.........
Old 06-14-2011, 09:59 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

This will either
A. Answer lots of questions
B. Create more questions