Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Time to adios little Danica?
Si Señor...!
38.71%
Oh no... I love her
61.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Danica Patrick at a crossroads amigos. Should she just go away now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Danika's entire career accomplishment comes down to winning one race because the leader ran out of gas. I would be embarrassed if I were a professional driver with that record.
A win is a win. Do you have any idea how many races have been won on fuel strategy? Are you going to discount all of them or just Danica's?

Furthermore, would you give the race to the guy who ran out of fuel while leading instead of Danica? If so, then you have to give the 2005 Indy 500 to Danica which she had "won" until her team told her to save fuel while leading with only a few laps to go. They later found out she had plenty of fuel when they drained the tank after the race.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:48 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Show me Danika's Championship trophy.
Show me yours. In anything. Autocross . . . drag racing . . . regional road racing. Anything. Just sayin'.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:12 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Ohhh he has many Bonster..... 7 times Rub-x Champion...ar
Old 05-27-2011, 03:08 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Like I said, the premise of this thread is inane. There are a ton of drivers in IndyCar and NASCAR that have had less success than Danica. Why isn't Frank Bullitt calling for them to go away??
You really don't get it or you just like being difficult.

The whole point of this, and almost every other Danica thread is focusing on the attention she receives despite success on the track. Any other driver with her record (or worse) wouldn't even get a mention in any publication not dedicated to racing. Meanwhile Danica is on every talk show, receiving huge endorsement deals, and magazine covers - most of which are not even racing / sports related.

When was the last time anyone from F1 was on the cover of Sports Illustrated?
Do a GIS for "f1 sports illustrated cover" - the first image is Danica in a bikini sprawled on the hood of a Shelby Cobra.

She is good for the overall sport by getting people interested who otherwise would never watch a race. She's a catch 22 because people from this demographic have a very short attention span for racing. Too many weekends without a win they change the channel. Meanwhile the real racing fans get fed up with 24/7 coverage of her while the better drivers are ignored.

As for the comment: "She's better than anyone here...." I'm so sick of this argument. So I guess we should all stop talking about professional sports altogether?

For the record I like Danica and would like to see her stay in open wheel.
My only complaint about her driving is the same as Marco Andretti. I've always felt they were brought up too fast before they were ready. That's water under the bridge now since they are holing their own. Except I'm not sure who whines more between the two.

Originally Posted by Jim Child
Actually he's won both Sonoma and Watkins Glen in Sprint cup in addition to the Nationwide win in Mexico.
Wow - I really haven't been paying attention........ I hope he makes it to Elkhart this year. It was great seeing Villeneuve back in Wisconsin.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:30 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Hack . . . no, I do not think we should stop talking about sports. But I do think certain people should stop taking the entire subject quite so seriously. I could even say that about myself, though I think I'm more mild that some others. It's just a debate folks. Don't get upset about the differing opinions for or against Danica or anyone else. It's just talk. And frankly, I find it fun. Until someone gets all . . . I don't know the word . . . I guess hurt? over it? I don't know. But Danica Patrick, like any other celebrity, is going to have cheers and jeers. It will never stop. Get used to it. Just be happy you aren't so dang popular.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:38 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
You really don't get it or you just like being difficult.

The whole point of this, and almost every other Danica thread is focusing on the attention she receives despite success on the track. Any other driver with her record (or worse) wouldn't even get a mention in any publication not dedicated to racing. Meanwhile Danica is on every talk show, receiving huge endorsement deals, and magazine covers - most of which are not even racing / sports related.
Difficult? At least I can read. The OP editorialized and asked:

It's not like her racing career is doing that well.

By "go away now", I assume the OP means "quit racing" because her racing career is not doing well.

Where is the question about the attention she gets versus the attention she deserves? I don't see it in the poll or in the first post in this thread.

The article the OP provided a link to talks about "Danica the racer" and "Danica the brand". No mention of her receiving undeserved attention.

If being difficult means not agreeing with the OP's suggestion or your flawed view of the actual topic, then yes, I am being difficult.

Scott
Old 05-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Whoops... there it is compadre!

It's totally irrelevant that she is doing better than any of us. It's her peers that she should be doing better than, and the truth is she has been unable to do that. She is a middle-of-the-pack driver at best. When people talk about racing champions, they don't include Danika.

Danika's entire career accomplishment comes down to winning one race because the leader ran out of gas. I would be embarrassed if I were a professional driver with that record.
No idea why some of the Hoopleheads get so upset about discussing her record. Believe the main point of the article I linked to is that her recent arrival at this crossroads... is the very valid concern that she's simply NOT winning races. Why this hurts so many is a mystery to me.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:02 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Consensus seems to be you have a problem with English comprehension Fuzz!

If being difficult means not agreeing with the OP's suggestion or your flawed view of the actual topic, then yes, I am being difficult.
You're so far afield on this that any attempt to reel you in would require someone like Jeremy Wade from the outstanding Animal Planet program... River Monsters.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Changing gears for a minute from "The Danika" amigo!

Wow - I really haven't been paying attention........ I hope he makes it to Elkhart this year. It was great seeing Villeneuve back in Wisconsin.
Have always wanted to drive that track. Have you?

Old 05-27-2011, 09:27 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Difficult? At least I can read. The OP editorialized and asked:

It's not like her racing career is doing that well.

By "go away now", I assume the OP means "quit racing" because her racing career is not doing well.
Welcome to the world of individual opinions.

Ever hear the expression: "writing checks your ego cannot cash" that sums up Danica, except in this case it's her marketing team writing the checks.

I took the comment “go away” as in turn off the camera and stick with the driving. If she put the kind of effort behind the wheel as she does in front of the camera she might win a few more races, or at least gain a few more real racing fans.

Where is the question about the attention she gets versus the attention she deserves? I don't see it in the poll or in the first post in this thread.
You come off as that guy who complains at the end of a movie they didn't close out and fully explain every angle.
I take it you are still trying to figure out who Kaiser Soze is?

The article the OP provided a link to talks about "Danica the racer" and "Danica the brand". No mention of her receiving undeserved attention.
Ok, maybe you are not being difficult, you don't get it.
The part in quotes you posted completely spells it out, at least to me.

"Danica the racer" and "Danica the brand" are two different people....that is the point.

Every time I see her in a GoDaddy ad I think of Burt Reynolds wearing the Chicken Suit in Stroker Ace.

Originally Posted by Frank Bullitt
Have always wanted to drive that track. Have you?
I live about 45 minutes north of Road America, I've been around it a few times

First time was in John Andretti's Corvette Challenge race car. Took a few months for the bruise on my head to go away. The passenger side of the roll bar wasn't designed with passengers in mind. Oh well, I was only 10 or 11 at the time.

Originally Posted by Bonster
But I do think certain people should stop taking the entire subject quite so seriously.
I agree 100%, although I think we slightly disagree on who should take the “chill pill”
Old 05-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd like to see Danica on the pole....
Old 05-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

My pole. Indy Racing League needs press and she is 90% of it.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Boobless
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Realized your location just after hitting the summit button compadre!

Ever hear the expression: "writing checks your ego cannot cash" that sums up Danica, except in this case it's her marketing team writing the checks.

I took the comment “go away” as in turn off the camera and stick with the driving. If she put the kind of effort behind the wheel as she does in front of the camera she might win a few more races, or at least gain a few more real racing fans.

I live about 45 minutes north of Road America...
That track looks to be a blast.

You are spot on in your analysis of my original posting. Good Lord just how hard can this be?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Ahh... no waist and NO ***** muchacho!

Originally Posted by Chaos
Boobless
That certainly is "interesting".

Quick Reply: Danica Patrick at a crossroads amigos. Should she just go away now?