Sponsored by:

ACK!!! 911 KERS

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Benton
If some of you guys made car companies' decisions, we would all still be driving carbureted, straight-axle cars. I would really love it if my 993 were steam powered, actually. Implementing new technologies is a natural evolution of the automotive industry and pretty much any other industry as well.

One major downside is that Joe at the local mechanic's shop will eventually become obsolete--in 20 years, no one will be able to work on new cars. Buy it, drive it until it breaks (3-7 years), have minor services performed at the dealership while under warranty, and recycle it. Residual value on these techno-wonders is going to be next to nothing since no one will be able--or want, for that matter--to fix them once out of warranty.
Can't wait to see the batteries in the hybrids now start to go bad. The replacement cost on those will put some of these cars out to pasture. There will be a huge secondary market for Prius's that need new batteries.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't researched it much at all, but I am still trying to figure out how all of these hybrids are "green" when a huge percentage of the car's weight is taken up by monstrous battery packs. Just in one car. Multiply that by the million "Prii" running around, and that is a lot of batteries that are going to eventually need replacement. Are the old ones recyclable?

Quick Reply: ACK!!! 911 KERS