Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxsters on the front row in Grand Am @ VIR!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:57 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Unbelievable to have that kind of result from your no drama 2 wheels off. Glad you're OK.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:03 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn! That was an ugly crash. That part of the track is notorious for putting cars into the tire wall without a big pot hole to launch the car. Boxsters, and maybe all new cars, are extremely strong structurally. This is proof.
There used to be a big open manhole on the inside of the track right about that same area.
I hope you are back soon. You are the Boxster`s best hope. All things being equal, that platform has the capability of dominating.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
Hey Guys, thanks for the concern... I'm totally unscratched..!! Amazing experience and I can't say enough about the value of a properly built race car with all the right saftey equipment.

Take a look at the in-car from the link below... seems to me like the track should fill a few of the holes off the right side of that down hill...what starts as a simple 2 wheel off, nice and straight with no drama ends up as the highlight of the week..!!

Looking at video from a car 2 behind, the rear wheels were thrown 2+ feet in the air from the hole in the groundwhile going straight down the hill...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN1anqmv8H4
Son of a......

Glad you are OK.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:42 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems to me that you should be able to get away with that. At least a track out curbing or rumbles or something at that point on the track, there needs to be some room for error at that spot. An outcome like that is totally unacceptable.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Dang muchacho!

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
Hey Guys, thanks for the concern... I'm totally unscratched..!! Amazing experience and I can't say enough about the value of a properly built race car with all the right safety equipment.

Take a look at the in-car from the link below... seems to me like the track should fill a few of the holes off the right side of that down hill...what starts as a simple 2 wheel off, nice and straight with no drama ends up as the highlight of the week..!!
You were trailing behind perfectly. What caused you to drift over into that freaking barditch anyway? Were you taking a peek from another angle? Obviously the main thing is you've survived without any injury.

Those are not holes. Thems barditches dude!

Old 05-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see your okay Rick, although Im sure your really sore this morning.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:31 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

The condition of the runoff area is unacceptable. Could be the heavy rains washed it out but they should have done something to mediate this.

I have always thought VIR was a safe track, still do in general, but this is BS. I have put 2 weeks off there in a cup car several times but dont recall this.

RIck is right.... this is a NON EVENT with proper track maintenance.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Pretty damn bad hombre!

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
The condition of the runoff area is unacceptable. Could be the heavy rains washed it out but they should have done something to mediate this.

I have always thought VIR was a safe track, still do in general, but this is BS. I have put 2 weeks off there in a cup car several times but dont recall this.

RIck is right.... this is a NON EVENT with proper track maintenance.
Trying to figure out what ol' Rick was doing over so far to the right. Do you know?

Old 05-15-2011, 12:28 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

Well, I am not Rick, so best to ask him.

But it looks like the car twitched a bit on turn in to T10 upon downshift which caused him to have a small correction. Thats all it took.

I am sure if Rick had known those canyons were there on track out he would have proceeded with a bit more caution.

Could have happened to anyone and would have happened to me but when I went off there it wasnt as bad.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Have asked him... still waiting for a response

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Well, I am not Rick, so best to ask him.

But it looks like the car twitched a bit on turn in to T10 upon downshift which caused him to have a small correction. That's all it took.

I am sure if Rick had known those canyons were there on track out he would have proceeded with a bit more caution.

Could have happened to anyone and would have happened to me but when I went off there it wasnt as bad.
May have missed that twitch on my viewing of the film. He looked pretty decent coming out of that last turn. This circumstance could have easily grabbed anyone by the short hairs and having a series of barditches there is downright shameful. Then again it is Virginia and I'm guessing it's boils down to what people are used to seeing... that is the track workers and the like.

What happened to you on this corner? You simply shoot across the infield?

Quick Reply: Boxsters on the front row in Grand Am @ VIR!