Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Old 08-16-2018, 12:40 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

I worked on something similar at VIR T13. high speed (150+) and uphill braking.

I forced myself to stay on full throttle till a braking point and then brake right away... to get my brain to agree to actually executing I picked a braking point ( a number sign on the side of the track) that was a little earlier than needed.
after successfully executing that I was able to pick later braking points.

a different way I looked at this is not selecting a braking point but select a driving to (full throttle) point.

and of course look at the brake/throttle data traces to see how much you are lying to yourself :-)
Old 08-16-2018, 01:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcD147
I worked on something similar at VIR T13. high speed (150+) and uphill braking.

I forced myself to stay on full throttle till a braking point and then brake right away... to get my brain to agree to actually executing I picked a braking point ( a number sign on the side of the track) that was a little earlier than needed.
after successfully executing that I was able to pick later braking points.

a different way I looked at this is not selecting a braking point but select a driving to (full throttle) point.

and of course look at the brake/throttle data traces to see how much you are lying to yourself :-)
^^THIS^^

Sounds simple, but is not... for most.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-16-2018, 03:41 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Definitely something that showed up for me with recent coaching. It's easy to see but difficult to do in practice. I also introduced a new tendency which is toes I've been able to go more quickly from throttle to brake, I am now tending to over brake in my initial application. I need to continue to work to sharp transitions but smooth and proper inputs. The great thing is that there is so much time (relative) to be gained by cleaning up braking.

Last edited by Thundermoose; 08-17-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 757 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
The great thing is that there is so much time (relative) to be gained by cleaning up braking.
X914
Old 08-20-2018, 06:34 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

Would love some constructive feedback on this lap @ Mosport, my home track. I started tracking my 997TT last season and put in 4 days at Mosport. This season I am on pace for ~20 days on track, about 10 in so far. I made a (what I now believe to be a very smart) decision to retire the 997TT to street duty and purchased a dedicated HPDE 987.1 Cayman S. This was my first weekend out with the car, final session of the weekend. Running Trofeo R's. I run in the PCA black advanced solo group.

My PB in my 997TT was 1:37.0 - the car was way too much for me as a novice and a complete handful on a fast track like Mosport. Within two sessions in the Cayman I had bested my previous PB and ran consistently in the 1:36's on clear laps without traffic.

This weekend I was focused on running turn 4 with no brakes, just lift over the crest. As you'll see, as a result of the extra speed I carry in the corner, I am modulating the throttle down 4 whereas I am flat out to the bottom of the hill when on laps where I tap the brakes heading into 4. I also have a huge variation in entry speeds to turn 8 at the end of the straight - anywhere from 140 to 160 km/h. I need to work on getting that dialed in to a consistent 160+ entry. I am definitely over braking into 8, as laps I have on video entering at 160+ and I am as smooth and collected as when I enter at 140 kmh.

As I mentioned, would love some feedback and pointers from the Mosport experts. Cheers
Old 09-11-2018, 12:16 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

So I will likely need to run hoosier wets for the first time ever this weekend, in competition no less. What is a good starting point WRT car changes going from 225/275 A7 to 205 square H2O.
Rear compression is already near max low
Rear springs are already as soft as clearance allows
Rear rebound can be lowered.
Front sway?
Increase rear wing?
decrease camber?

This is on a TT2 Exige, hopefully I don't need this information but better to be prepared.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell
So I will likely need to run hoosier wets for the first time ever this weekend, in competition no less. What is a good starting point WRT car changes going from 225/275 A7 to 205 square H2O.
Rear compression is already near max low
Rear springs are already as soft as clearance allows
Rear rebound can be lowered.
Front sway?
Increase rear wing?
decrease camber?

This is on a TT2 Exige, hopefully I don't need this information but better to be prepared.
If you've never driven on these before you're going to love them. I was on them again at COTA this weekend in torrential conditions on Sunday morning and continue to be impressed by their grip and longevity. PM me if you want to talk setup.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:23 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

my two cents, and this nt about the track specifically:
1. get a fire suit. you hvae the helmet, the hans, you have the car...and while its "just a DE day"...stuff happens. tire failures, brake failures, brain failure by you or a fellow driver...and when it goes bad, bad doesnt care it was just a DE day. get a suit, be real.
2. throttle application - im sure the real coaches might have an opinion and thought process on it, but to me, you have to smoothen out that throttle. maintenance throttle is a good word for it...to many times youre off the throttle entirely, the rpms drop, you're out of the power curve and rolling in/thru the turn, and then a second problem is you jump right back on the full gas. there is no progression . early on someone suggested you have to try to make up 1/100ths of a second every little bit through every little turn, and always try to continue to apply little tidbits of throttle on these long turns whenever you can, reallyhelps lap time, helps keep the motor at a higher rpm, in the fatter portions of the torque curve...but then again, when you go back to full throttle, i get that you want to jump on it, and sometimes you can, but some of those fast turns at mosport, atleast per the video, you're going from like no gas/virtually no gas to just smashing the pedal to the floor. again if you had more maintenance throttle it wouldnt sound/be so on/off. but if its rainy, slick, tires worn...that full smash application might cause you grief, there is a ramping a transition from little/no gas to full fas that has to take place and its track, tire, conditions (wet/dry) , whether you're pointed straight ahead or not, specific. id sum that whole thing up as throttle application/smoothness.

Originally Posted by cstyles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqxxGwdjvzM&t=2s

Would love some constructive feedback on this lap @ Mosport, my home track. I started tracking my 997TT last season and put in 4 days at Mosport. This season I am on pace for ~20 days on track, about 10 in so far. I made a (what I now believe to be a very smart) decision to retire the 997TT to street duty and purchased a dedicated HPDE 987.1 Cayman S. This was my first weekend out with the car, final session of the weekend. Running Trofeo R's. I run in the PCA black advanced solo group.

My PB in my 997TT was 1:37.0 - the car was way too much for me as a novice and a complete handful on a fast track like Mosport. Within two sessions in the Cayman I had bested my previous PB and ran consistently in the 1:36's on clear laps without traffic.

This weekend I was focused on running turn 4 with no brakes, just lift over the crest. As you'll see, as a result of the extra speed I carry in the corner, I am modulating the throttle down 4 whereas I am flat out to the bottom of the hill when on laps where I tap the brakes heading into 4. I also have a huge variation in entry speeds to turn 8 at the end of the straight - anywhere from 140 to 160 km/h. I need to work on getting that dialed in to a consistent 160+ entry. I am definitely over braking into 8, as laps I have on video entering at 160+ and I am as smooth and collected as when I enter at 140 kmh.

As I mentioned, would love some feedback and pointers from the Mosport experts. Cheers
Old 09-18-2018, 08:31 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Look, it’s like this, spg993tt is right, your *** is is worth getting helmet, Hans, and suit. When you are safe bad things, which are part of racing, will be minimized. This is not a Prarade lap, this is racing even if it is going against yourself.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:53 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

I know what I like and don't like about this, curious if anyone has thoughts. Headed back down there for Thursday/Friday to keep working on stuff although the weather for Friday looks iffy. Car is a 1997 Miata, stock engine with header/intake/exhaust (stock ecu) on koni yellows with ground control sleeves. 205/50-15 Toyo R888Rs on 8 inch wheels.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:30 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 81 Posts

I do not know if this has been asked ans answered? Cars with real aerodynamics, like sports racers like an Elan DP02 Radical S3, corner speeds are much higher because of the aero. To the driver does he feel just the grip or lack of grip of the tires just like in a mechanical grip car since the aero works silently in the backround? Or can aero be like a lightswitch like the old 1st gen 930 turbo when the turbo chargers kick in? Can one progressively increase corner speed and find the limit in an aero car or is there a "step function" from mechanical to aero grip?
Old 11-15-2018, 01:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I do not know if this has been asked ans answered? Cars with real aerodynamics, like sports racers like an Elan DP02 Radical S3, corner speeds are much higher because of the aero. To the driver does he feel just the grip or lack of grip of the tires just like in a mechanical grip car since the aero works silently in the backround? Or can aero be like a lightswitch like the old 1st gen 930 turbo when the turbo chargers kick in? Can one progressively increase corner speed and find the limit in an aero car or is there a "step function" from mechanical to aero grip?
Yes. In a true “aero car,” you approach the limits as you do in a non-aero (usually a GT car, even one with a “****”), gently, gradually and incrementally.

What’s really hard to do is KNOW that the faster you go, the better it sticks! That is REALLY hard to execute.

I watched a factory GTLM driver get in an LMP-C car and go under the track record (having not driven a large prototype before and going a few seconds quicker than he does in his GT/LM car), and we were able to talk at length on the subject.

In cars that are well engineered, the basic aero balance, center of pressure and other KPI’s are already known, resulting in a stable, balanced platform throughout the performance envelope. In a home brew or poorly maintained and set up club level car like a Radical, Norma or Juno, it can be screwed up and not be so benign, but still close enough to work.

But the step, if there is one, is gradual and speed dependent.

I don’t see much if any aero advantage in slow corners, those below 60 mph vMin. I see some in the transition area of between 65-75 mph. I see a fair bit of advantage in the 90-110 range and I see a lot above 120 mph, which is why a LMP car is more stable flat up the esses at VIR at 165 mph than a GT/LM car is at 152-154 mph or a GT3 Cup at 135-140 mph.

The hardest part is KNOWING that the faster you go, the better it sticks. But if it breaks away, and you have not been ham-fisted with it, it’s as recognizable and correctable as a GT car, as long as its balanced to begin with.

Having driven historic 3-liter F1 cars (post skirts), Group C and GTP cars and small displacement, unrestricted sports racing cars (DSR/P1), as well as non or limited aero (flat bottom, no wings) sports racers for twenty-five years, you can and sometimes DO scare yourself at entry, then the car tracks straight and true and almost taunts you! “Say what? That’s all you got?” It’s REALLY fun, and it’s like GT cars, only Faster...
Old 11-15-2018, 02:16 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
balanced platform...balanced to begin with.

A theme in your thoughtful post stood out. "Balance" I think of balance in a mechanical grip car as corner balanced and close to neutral steering but toward driver preference. What is balance in an aero car? The same thing?
Old 11-15-2018, 02:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
A theme in your thoughtful post stood out. "Balance" I think of balance in a mechanical grip car as corner balanced and close to neutral steering but toward driver preference. What is balance in an aero car? The same thing?
Exactly.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

One of the things that can effect aero balance even more than mechanical grip is ride height, or rather splitter height. Rake also comes into the equation. But I'm not a car engineer. Just someone well schooled in how to make people believe they can do something they themselves don't believe is possible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH