Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 10:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Up shifting while turning and accelerating can aid rotation...so maybe do it on exit not entrance and on the brakes

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 06-21-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:33 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by zzyzx
I've always wondered why Turn 3 at Laguna Seca makes most cars understeer. Looking at Google Earth, it looks like the track narrows. Maybe that is the reason? I guess this is a question for the California pro coaches.
It's a less than 90 degree turn and you lose camber as you get to the exit. The track is 40 feet wide at the exit.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:12 AM
bldn10
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

WWPD?

(What Would PDK Do)

I've enjoyed and picked up a few things to try watching what gears students' PDK cars are in.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:38 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Up shifting while turning and accelerating can aid rotation...so maybe do it on exit not entrance and on the brakes
Thanks, will give that a try. I think I need to rebuild my shifter as I had trouble finding third and ended up in 5th a couple times. You may not be shocked to learn that a Miata in 5th at 48 mph is not fast.

Originally Posted by bldn10
WWPD?

(What Would PDK Do)

I've enjoyed and picked up a few things to try watching what gears students' PDK cars are in.
I think a PDK would wonder how the heck it ended up in an NA Miata! Good idea though for those with cars with both transmissions.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:37 AM
AdamBrouillard
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
So here's a fun one, I guess.

I played around with going to second gear at turn 5 at Summit Main. It works pretty well.

But then I'm in a weird spot at turn 6; I can either stay in 2nd but then I have to go to 3rd while I'm in turns 6 & 7 with the car pretty fully loaded, which seems wrong and tricky and generally uncomfortable. The alternative is to UPshift while I'm braking, which seems like an insanely counterintuitive thing to do. I could upshift slightly earlier than while I'm braking but if I'm going to go through the trouble of getting down to second at 5 it seems like I should use it for as long as it's sensible to do so.

Which of these two evils is better?

Start at :50 or so for the entry to 5 (which wasn't always this rough, I did this better other times). https://youtu.be/hvomj7Vml1Y?t=50s
This sequence at Summit is quite tricky and is different one from car to the next. In a fast car 6-7 is a double apex and then 7-8 is a chicane. In that case I would say you could up shift early as you don't need all your power in 6-7. In slower cars you have 6 as the double apex and then 6-8 is the chicane and 7 is not a corner. Then even slower cars there is no chicane and 8 and 9 are both full throttle corners and you are flat from 6 all the way to 10.

I can't tell from the video but for a Miata you are probably at full throttle out of 6 correct? If that's the case you'll want max power so you'll ideally want to delay your shift until redline between 6-7 (I think that is a redline shift car). I say ideally so it might not be faster for you right now if you find that shift difficult and it messes up your control, but it's probably worth working on as it's the correct way to do it and will eventually be faster.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:41 AM
AdamBrouillard
Advanced

I've always wondered why Turn 3 at Laguna Seca makes most cars understeer. Looking at Google Earth, it looks like the track narrows. Maybe that is the reason? I guess this is a question for the California pro coaches.

Do you mean that people tend to run wide at exit or the corner tends to shift balance toward understeer?
Old 06-21-2017, 11:52 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamBrouillard
This sequence at Summit is quite tricky and is different one from car to the next. In a fast car 6-7 is a double apex and then 7-8 is a chicane. In that case I would say you could up shift early as you don't need all your power in 6-7. In slower cars you have 6 as the double apex and then 6-8 is the chicane and 7 is not a corner. Then even slower cars there is no chicane and 8 and 9 are both full throttle corners and you are flat from 6 all the way to 10.

I can't tell from the video but for a Miata you are probably at full throttle out of 6 correct? If that's the case you'll want max power so you'll ideally want to delay your shift until redline between 6-7 (I think that is a redline shift car). I say ideally so it might not be faster for you right now if you find that shift difficult and it messes up your control, but it's probably worth working on as it's the correct way to do it and will eventually be faster.
Yeah. I'm flat from 6 to 10 in my car.

I think this is just one of those driver improvement spots; when I stayed in 2nd through 6 the extra powah was noticeable and in a vacuum is certainly superior. My issue is that the car is pretty close to maxed out laterally and I'm not super comfortable holding the car one handed while shifting in that condition. Adding to that is the fact that I'm pretty dedicated to keeping my hands in the 9/10 & 2/3 area of the wheel at all times, so I end up with my left hand at the top of the wheel and moving my right hand from the bottom of the wheel to the gearshift to do the shift is physically awkward, especially if, as I suspect, that shift needs to be done pretty quickly to make being in 2nd there worthwhile.

The default 7/10ths approach to this whole segment is to shift to third in 5 and just stay there. It's clearly slower but much simpler.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:13 PM
AdamBrouillard
Advanced

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Yeah. I'm flat from 6 to 10 in my car.

I think this is just one of those driver improvement spots; when I stayed in 2nd through 6 the extra powah was noticeable and in a vacuum is certainly superior. My issue is that the car is pretty close to maxed out laterally and I'm not super comfortable holding the car one handed while shifting in that condition. Adding to that is the fact that I'm pretty dedicated to keeping my hands in the 9/10 & 2/3 area of the wheel at all times, so I end up with my left hand at the top of the wheel and moving my right hand from the bottom of the wheel to the gearshift to do the shift is physically awkward, especially if, as I suspect, that shift needs to be done pretty quickly to make being in 2nd there worthwhile.

The default 7/10ths approach to this whole segment is to shift to third in 5 and just stay there. It's clearly slower but much simpler.
You sound like you understand the tradeoffs and it's the understanding which is most important. When you feel you have maxed out what you can do in the higher gear and feel you are ready, you can start experimenting with shifting mid corner.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Have you walked the track? If you ever get a chance to walk T3, the answer will be manifest...
Old 06-23-2017, 09:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Have you walked the track? If you ever get a chance to walk T3, the answer will be manifest...
True. But the data shows most brake early, release early, nose lifts and THEN they ADD power along with steering... sheesh...
Old 06-23-2017, 09:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
True. But the data shows most brake early, release early, nose lifts and THEN they ADD power along with steering... sheesh...
Yes, agreed
Old 07-04-2017, 12:59 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Here's a great YouTube video site for driving instruction. I'm not connected to them in any way; just think this is a great resource for both inexperienced and experienced drivers.

SafeisFast

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzQ...mZkFMxcni4X8vg
Old 07-06-2017, 01:00 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts

It is so much about the release. 50% to slow you down and 75% ( or more ) balance.

As Jackie Stewart said " I didn't start wining races until I learned how to get off the brakes."

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Old 07-06-2017, 01:25 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Sorry, didn't see all the replies to my comment about Turn 3 at Laguna Seca.

I have never had a chance to walk the track. Unfortunately I don't live up in the area, and I only drive there once or twice a year.

So do you lose the camber at the exit? Or is it more a problem that is driver induced? Is the track equal width prior to going into the corner and on the exit? It seems like when looking at Google Earth that it is a little narrower.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Sorry, didn't see all the replies to my comment about Turn 3 at Laguna Seca.

I have never had a chance to walk the track.

Or is it more a problem that is driver induced?
I have several excellent executions demonstrated in the data of Turn 3 done extremely well. When compared to folks having difficulty, it is primarily driver induced...

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH