Sponsored by:

DE Drivers Maximum Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:56 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DE Drivers Maximum Question

What is the general rule of thumb with respect to the maximum number of drivers in a Run Group? Using VIR Full Course 3.27 miles as an example, we have five run groups where Green and Blue are instructed and/or solo. Then we have White, Black, and Red. Black and Red are instructors and/or advanced drivers with Extended Passing.

Generally we might keep Green and Blue at 35 Max with White at 50 (allowing for some Blue Advancement) and Black and Red at 55. I am wondering if others have information they consider when determining the maximum number per run group. Thanks and hope to see some of you at VIR May 20-22 for our First Settlers Region DE!

Last edited by bella1; 04-28-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Correct DE Dates
Old 04-28-2011, 12:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

SCCA and others used 25 cars per mile for a long time. NASA and Grand Am pay no attention to that.

I recommend somewhat less (along the lines of your numbers) for a more pleasant DE experience.

One of the reasons for the migration to more open (and open) passing is to accommodate more cars per mile without an accompanying increase in trains...

Have fun at VIR but aren't you coming May 20-22?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-28-2011, 12:03 PM
gla924sem
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DE

As I recall from the PCA manual.......15 cars per mile of track
Old 04-28-2011, 12:41 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Have fun at VIR but aren't you coming May 20-22?
Whoops I should know better. Thanks Peter for your feedback
Old 04-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Here is the cars per mile guidelines that our region uses:

Beginner group (Green) 10 cars per mile
Novice group (Yellow) 12 cars per mile
Intermediate group (White) 14 cars per mile
Advanced group (Black) 18 cars per mile
Instructors (Red) 20 cars per mile
Old 04-28-2011, 02:11 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been wondering about this...

I signed up for DEs at Lime Rock (7/22) and NJMP (10/15). I'm on the waiting list for both, even though the number of "confirmed" Green cars seems pretty low. 7 confirmed for Lime Rock (6 on wait list) and 3 confirmed for NJMP (5 on wait list). I've never driven LRP, but in my experience NJMP can handle a lot more than 3 cars on track at the same time. Seems odd.

Or is it more that there aren't enough instructors confirmed?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Note to self- don't run with First Settlers, 55 cars on track at the same time is a cluster f**k of a run group.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Note to self- don't run with First Settlers, 55 cars on track at the same time is a cluster f**k of a run group.
Dude - 55 cars on a 3.27 mile track is 16.8 cars per mile. If spaced out right, you could run lap after lap without any traffic issues...

-Z
Old 04-28-2011, 02:42 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow - those numbers seem huge to me. Maybe we like more space out here in the west (j/K) but I'm CI for an upcoming event at Thunderhill and I'm try to keep it to no more than 25 cars total on a 3 mile track.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:18 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Out West

Originally Posted by PJorgen
Wow - those numbers seem huge to me. Maybe we like more space out here in the west (j/K) but I'm CI for an upcoming event at Thunderhill and I'm try to keep it to no more than 25 cars total on a 3 mile track.
We have found that the passing zones have an impact. For example, we have gone with passing on any straight with Green, Blue, and White while identifying what part of the tracks we consider a straight. Our Black and Red groups have an equal number of instructors as we try to have the higher HP cars in Red and lower HP cars in Black. Both of these groups operate under the "Extended Passing" rules as proscribed by PCA, generally passing anywhere with a point by.

If your advanced drivers are running extended passing it has been my experience that 50 to 60 cars on three miles of track should be no problem. If some have a problem with giving a point by anywhere then that can hold things up.

My reasons for asking are due to our waitlist and large number of instructors. We have more than enough instructors so that the instructor/student ratio is 1:1. We would like to accomodate everyone but not at the expense of safety and general track enjoyment. So thanks for the input.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:53 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bella1
We have found that the passing zones have an impact. For example, we have gone with passing on any straight with Green, Blue, and White while identifying what part of the tracks we consider a straight. Our Black and Red groups have an equal number of instructors as we try to have the higher HP cars in Red and lower HP cars in Black. Both of these groups operate under the "Extended Passing" rules as proscribed by PCA, generally passing anywhere with a point by.

If your advanced drivers are running extended passing it has been my experience that 50 to 60 cars on three miles of track should be no problem. If some have a problem with giving a point by anywhere then that can hold things up.

My reasons for asking are due to our waitlist and large number of instructors. We have more than enough instructors so that the instructor/student ratio is 1:1. We would like to accomodate everyone but not at the expense of safety and general track enjoyment. So thanks for the input.
Excellent info thanks. Agree that total distance allowed for passing is essential to determining appropriate number of cars on track.

Would be great to have a table of values, something like maximum number of cars per mile of track with X% passing zone. Clearly the more room for passing the more cars you can accommodate.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:05 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Like Peter said above some groups do more and some do not keep count. Without naming any groups I have seen events at VIR with 70-80 in an advanced session and it was too much for sure. Good luck with your event!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:58 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Alex, The info below is close to guidance I rec'd from Peter Temper a few years back (12, 14, 15-16, 18 & 20-22). Number & nature of passing zones is obviously a key factor along with experience of those in the run group and extended passing or not.

Mark

Originally Posted by Driver8
Here is the cars per mile guidelines that our region uses:

Beginner group (Green) 10 cars per mile
Novice group (Yellow) 12 cars per mile
Intermediate group (White) 14 cars per mile
Advanced group (Black) 18 cars per mile
Instructors (Red) 20 cars per mile
Old 04-28-2011, 05:44 PM
kush07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdavis
I've been wondering about this...

I signed up for DEs at Lime Rock (7/22) and NJMP (10/15). I'm on the waiting list for both, even though the number of "confirmed" Green cars seems pretty low. 7 confirmed for Lime Rock (6 on wait list) and 3 confirmed for NJMP (5 on wait list). I've never driven LRP, but in my experience NJMP can handle a lot more than 3 cars on track at the same time. Seems odd.

Or is it more that there aren't enough instructors confirmed?
Instructor thing.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:52 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Note to Landjet

Originally Posted by Land Jet
From Zone 2 to Chin to our region, 55 to 60 in Black and Red has never been an issue with Extended Passsing in effect. It works very well. Perhaps we may see you someday?

Quick Reply: DE Drivers Maximum Question