Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Porsche Cup Car Driving Experience (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/626297-porsche-cup-car-driving-experience.html)

sundog 04-06-2011 03:10 PM

Porsche Cup Car Driving Experience

Well, to follow on from the Porsche Driving Experience, there is now announced the Porsche Cup Car Driving Experience.

I guess I'll have to save up some more pennies for the addiction!

Cory M 04-06-2011 03:18 PM

that ought to keep the gearbox rebuilders busy in the off season

mglobe 04-06-2011 04:16 PM

$10,000! Ghack!

Circuit Motorsports 04-06-2011 04:17 PM

Considering how much a team charges to run a car in GrandAm/World Challenge that number doesn't sound too nuts if there is at least some decent track time over the 2 days and they don't do a 'build up' through cars with the Cup Car being the last one.

Veloce Raptor 04-06-2011 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by sundog (Post 8448266)
Well, to follow on from the Porsche Driving Experience, there is now announced the Porsche Cup Car Driving Experience.

I guess I'll have to save up some more pennies for the addiction!

Translation: the economy sucks & Porsche can build more Cups than it can sell. :D

Dave 86 930 Fl 04-06-2011 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports (Post 8448447)
Considering how much a team charges to run a car in GrandAm/World Challenge that number doesn't sound too nuts if there is at least some decent track time over the 2 days and they don't do a 'build up' through cars with the Cup Car being the last one.

Porsche had a cup car @ the 12 Hours of Sebring and I talked with a rep about the program and a "build up" is required ... Bring $$$. I did sit in the cup car and I'm fairly certain that is as close as I'll get to driving one.

Regards, Dave

chrisp 04-06-2011 05:08 PM

Cool to see it come to fruition. Pitched a similar idea to Porsche a couple of years ago when they were struggling as to how to give Cup Car newbies some seat time before buying and ultimately racing their cars. Porsche was struggling with issues relating to backmarkers who had $$$ but no experience.

It was intended to be the official licensing process for Cup Car racing. Do they have a licensing requirement these days?

Veloce Raptor 04-06-2011 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by chrisp (Post 8448611)
It was intended to be the official licensing process for Cup Car racing. Do they have a licensing requirement these days?

I think PCA does a pretty good job with the racer licensing process.

PedroNole 04-06-2011 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor (Post 8448622)
I think PCA does a pretty good job with the racer licensing process.

Agree.

chrisp 04-06-2011 05:20 PM

It's been a while so I'm really fuzzy on the outlying details but I also recall something about PCNA starting there own carrera cup-esque series. Not a lot of details were shared around that part of it. At the time it had no connection with PCA activity.

To your point, PCA licensing is pretty good but I could license in a low HP car and then show up the next weekend in a Cup Car.

Veloce Raptor 04-06-2011 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by chrisp (Post 8448658)
To your point, PCA licensing is pretty good but I could license in a low HP car and then show up the next weekend in a Cup Car.

True...but you could do this in Grand-Am, too. ;)

Bman 04-06-2011 05:25 PM

On track session are in Carrera S, Turbo and Cup. How much time is spent in the CUP cars? My "guess" would be 1 hour total for two days.......

Steward B. 04-06-2011 06:10 PM

When I got the email about the Cup Car driving experience I initially thought "gee, that's a high price" but then reconsidered when it appeared that it would be two days in a Cup, with a professional coach sitting alongside me. With reasonable amounts of track time, that would almost be a steal (you will note my fingers had difficulty typing that!)

If it's only an hour or so after a run up in other cars, even if they are other new Porsches, it is still a steal, but PCNA is the one doing the stealing.

But with that said, my bet is they'll have people standing in line.

analogmike 04-06-2011 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor (Post 8448670)
True...but you could do this in Grand-Am, too. ;)

easier in Grand-Am actually.

Looks like 1/3rd the time is in the gt3 cup, pretty cool!

race911 04-06-2011 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by chrisp (Post 8448658)
It's been a while so I'm really fuzzy on the outlying details but I also recall something about PCNA starting there own carrera cup-esque series. Not a lot of details were shared around that part of it. At the time it had no connection with PCA activity.

Yeah, after 20 years things get fuzzy.

(WAS excited about the 964 Cup series for '92. We know how that turned out.)