Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   A visit today to the F1 Austin site (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/622840-a-visit-today-to-the-f1-austin-site.html)

gums 03-21-2011 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by tlarocque (Post 8396061)
It can't be worse than that South Korea venue, can it?

I agree; that Korean foray was the worst!

Recent editorials point to one common thing among the current tracks that makes the racing so poor; they're all Tilke designs. The grand old tracks that we love are not, and they are dwindling in number. Let's hope all the hype about this one holds up, but he's going to have to break his mold.

Nizer 03-21-2011 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DWF (Post 8398820)
This commentary reflects nothing but ignorance of the area. Austin, thirty minutes north of the track site is one of the most urbane medium size cities (1 million plus in the metro area) in the nation. The city has world class restaurants with nationally recognized chefs, arts, music, etc. In fact in full swing now is an annual international music and film festival that attracts thousands of musicians, film stars and related industry from around the globe. The live reports yesterday from the national news media referred to Austin as the L.A. of the South (I guess that's a compliment). Believe me, thousands of people are not moving to the area every year because of the "fried coyote tails". I can assure you race fans will love the venue, have a great time and look forward to returning.

Got it now - metrosexuals in cowboy boots. F1 has that covered...

Personally, I'm lookin' forward to checkin' out Wild Bubbas.

multi21 03-21-2011 05:44 PM

Your level of obsession is astounding. Join forces with. A Wayne and take a day off

Veloce Raptor 03-21-2011 07:09 PM

I lent Schumi that outfit... :roflmao:

Nizer 03-21-2011 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor (Post 8403356)
I lent Schumi that outfit... :roflmao:

Belt buckle too?

Veloce Raptor 03-21-2011 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nizer (Post 8403654)
Belt buckle too?

Rodeo.

You know you want to. ;)

Nizer 03-21-2011 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor (Post 8403857)
Rodeo.

You know you want to. ;)

Way too much of a stuffed shirt to pull it off... :surr:

multi21 03-21-2011 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nizer (Post 8403654)
Belt buckle too?

Like boxing, that's his champtionship belt. Notice the 7 stars on the buckle? :D

Phokaioglaukos 03-22-2011 09:20 AM

How much fun do you think a PCA club race would be on this track? The F1 tracks seem just too big, wide and open for the speeds our cars do....

Larry Herman 03-22-2011 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by va122 (Post 8395529)
It will be sold out I bet. Do we have the dates yet?? I want to book hotel

I'm gonna stay at VRs house! :jumper:

smokindav 03-24-2011 01:57 PM

Got room for one more?

Originally Posted by skl (Post 8396562)
Got a carload coming down from Iowa!!

Lemming 03-24-2011 02:03 PM

How's the yak?

Flying Finn 03-24-2011 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DWF (Post 8398820)
This commentary reflects nothing but ignorance of the area. Austin, thirty minutes north of the track site is one of the most urbane medium size cities (1 million plus in the metro area) in the nation. The city has world class restaurants with nationally recognized chefs, arts, music, etc. In fact in full swing now is an annual international music and film festival that attracts thousands of musicians, film stars and related industry from around the globe. The live reports yesterday from the national news media referred to Austin as the L.A. of the South (I guess that's a compliment). Believe me, thousands of people are not moving to the area every year because of the "fried coyote tails". I can assure you race fans will love the venue, have a great time and look forward to returning.

In the end, most of the party is at the camp sites right next to track anyway (I'd venture a guess there's plenty of field around this track venue).

Nobody will argue Montreal or Monaco is the best way to party F1 weekend but I've also been in Hockenheim (back when it was still the old, long track) and Hungaroring and both of those places have nothing close by.
There's of course Budapest etc. 30 mins or so away (much like Austin) but when I've been there, 80% of the audience stays right where the track is and it's just a huge party between hard core F1 fans.

Plenty of mocking between Finns, Germans, Italians etc. but all in good spirits.

I admit, my best ever F1 experience was Monaco, it's just such a holy grail of F1 and an awesome place but we always had a huge blast in Hungary and Hockenheim so Austin will be just fine place to host an F1 party.

Anyone in scaffolding business?
In Hungary there were these crazy Germans who every year built this scaffolding that was easily 130 feet tall. You'd see it from everywhere and no doubt, they saw every bit if track.
Here's an example from Italy, pretty cool but nothing, and I mean nothing, compared to those crazy guys in Hungary.

gums 03-25-2011 10:41 AM

I've been to Montreal many times and it's the best for a great weekend. Silverstone is a gorgeous facility and I enjoyed it there last year, luckily the weather was perfect. The best experience though, hands down, in terms of rabid fans, was Monza!

stuttgart46 03-25-2011 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 8403890)
Like boxing, that's his champtionship belt. Notice the 7 stars on the buckle? :D

Looks like the prancing horse in the middle as well.