Old 03-15-2011, 05:05 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2000 Sierra Z71 HD (Tow

AWD
Stepped Fenders (but not dually)
200k on it.

I drive approximately 100 miles a day. My QX56 is taking a beating. I'm not going to keep giving away money for more high priced vehicles that I'll drive the value out of in no time. Will use it to tow my open aluminum and probably a future enclosed steel trailer.

All I'm trying to avoid is headaches and lots of repairs. Nearly all of my mileage is highway driving. Anyone have any words of caution. I don't need a clunker in my driveway. If they are reliable trucks at this mileage per opinion, I'm going to buy it.

TIA
Old 03-15-2011, 07:08 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

A half-ton with 200k miles? Doesn't sound like a fantastic tow machine.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:09 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
A half-ton with 200k miles? Doesn't sound like a fantastic tow machine.
I don't know if I need a fantastic towing machine. I may go to 2-3 trips over 3 hrs a year. For anything I need luxury, I'll take my QX. It tows pretty darn well. I just thought it was so cheap why not at <5k.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:22 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Just use the OX56. I use mine to tow a 4000# boat (plus gas, beer, water toys, etc) all summer long in 115 degree weather. Towing a track car on an aluminum trailer is a piece of cake for it. I have over 75k miles on mine QX and zero issues. Just change the fluids religiously and enjoy the comfort, nice stereo, etc. The thing is rated at 9000#.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

Dez, avoid. That was not a particularly great year for GM vehicles, including trucks.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:40 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Just use the OX56. I use mine to tow a 4000# boat (plus gas, beer, water toys, etc) all summer long in 115 degree weather. Towing a track car on an aluminum trailer is a piece of cake for it. I have over 75k miles on mine QX and zero issues. Just change the fluids religiously and enjoy the comfort, nice stereo, etc. The thing is rated at 9000#.
I feel you there, my QX has been cross country twice and has 140k on it, lots of trouble free tow miles. Almost want an extra one.

Rather than justify my reasoning as it may not be for everyone (I like beaters, always have, to save mileage on my other cars). I just want to know if the trucks are good or not. Engine, tranny, suspension.

I already have three cars and will be buying my wife another soon, do not intend on getting rid of any of them. Want a beater! But a reliable one (that can tow).
Old 03-15-2011, 11:49 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dez, avoid. That was not a particularly great year for GM vehicles, including trucks.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:57 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Rather than justify my reasoning as it may not be for everyone (I like beaters, always have, to save mileage on my other cars). .
Can I ask about this concept? I shared the "keep miles off the nice car" thought once. Now I realize, I like the nice car, and life is too short. I want to pile the miles on that car and get my money's worth. It's paid off and ain't worth **** as a trade/resale so why not.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:13 AM
wanna911
Race Car

I like to enjoy them when I drive them. I had a brand new 745 and year old Denali when I lived in Chicago. However my mother had bought me an Isuzu rodeo when I was in college. I took the rodeo to Chicago too and daily drove it. I only drove the other cars when I was going out or going to wash them. I grew up detailing cars, so I hated driving a dirty nice car.

Just a preference for me, I ended up selling the other two because my wife got ahold of them and started piling on the miles even though she had her own. I would still have them today if not for that, and they would still be in nearly as good of shape as when I bought them. That's why I don't drive them everywhere. Too hard to keep them clean, and it's not as special.

I'm not a change cars every year type of guy, I get attached and would keep them for a long long time. I guess I have a collector side to me.

Quick Reply: 2000 Sierra Z71 HD (Tow