Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Going Enclosed (Trailer), should I keep my open one? (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/620114-going-enclosed-trailer-should-i-keep-my-open-one.html)

wanna911 03-04-2011 05:28 PM

Going Enclosed (Trailer), should I keep my open one?

From guys that have an enclosed trailer, do you ever find yourself wishing you had an open one for maybe short trips to the mechanic? My mechanic is literally 5 miles away and I've gotten away with parking my trailer in my driveway or in the woods next to the house for 6 years, don't know if a 24 foot enclosed would pass though. I don't want to sell my open aluminum if I'll regret the ease of taking a few minutes to pop the car on the trailer and drive to the shop. Conversely I suppose I could buy a cheap set of wheels and street tires and just drive the car to the shop most times. It's registered, but I took the airbags and seatbelts out to save weight.

Thought I might keep both, one at my house, and one at my mechanics place since it will only take me 20 minutes to go and pick it up.

I found an enclosed trailer (24 ft, silver, v-nose, #7500 lb axles) I'm about to pull the trigger on if it checks out. Just wanted to get some opinions.

Larry Herman 03-04-2011 05:42 PM

If you have the room, keep the open one too. I did and I never regretted it even once. It is so nice for those short hops or to lend to a friend in need.

Cory M 03-04-2011 08:21 PM

they can be very convinient, I would keep it if you have space to store it and don't need the $$

jenk12m 03-04-2011 08:28 PM

Yea bout time. Now let's get a/c, tv, a portable heater and we're all set to go. Haha

wanna911 03-04-2011 09:00 PM

LOL, AC sounds good. Sounds like you are going to need an enclosed for what you got coming.

jenk12m 03-04-2011 11:34 PM

thoman had some pretty cool windows for his new race car that he could just pop off

wanna911 03-05-2011 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by jenk12m (Post 8354748)
thoman had some pretty cool windows for his new race car that he could just pop off

Yeah I thought about that too as I'm putting on some gutted doors (with door bars) myself. Viperbob says he can make something to retain the the stock glass for removal in a minute or two.

Veloce Raptor 03-05-2011 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by wanna911 (Post 8354866)
Yeah I thought about that too as I'm putting on some gutted doors (with door bars) myself. Viperbob says he can make something to retain the the stock glass for removal in a minute or two.

I did that with my M3. Gutted the doors but use the OEM glass panels that slide in & out when I transport & store the car. Works like a charm. Mglobe did this as well with his Spec 996.

schwank 03-05-2011 12:00 PM

Just picked up a 24' enclosed this week, and my open trailer will be leaving me tomorrow. I simply don't have the room for both. Would like a smaller open trailer for yard work though...

And I too did the same with my windows in the 944. Left the guides for the glass, and I just put it back in and wedge them up with a 2x4. Well I did, until I got this fancy new trailer :D

vintage914racer 03-05-2011 12:02 PM

Hold on to the open trailer if you can. I kept mine to use for short trips around town, then it got stolen.... I wish I still had it because quick trips around town are more a production with the enclosed