Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Sore back at the track.... (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/618574-sore-back-at-the-track.html)

Whosurdaddy 02-24-2011 08:49 PM

Sore back at the track....

[duplicating this post into this more appropriate location]

I am posting for my Uncle who has a 2010 997C2S and a good bit of track experience. Last year he went with me to VIR with First Settlers Region and ended up pulling his back while on track.

To prevent this from happening this year, I'm suggesting a CG Lock, hooking him with a small carpet non-skid pad then making sure his seat is adjusted properly before he goes out the first time (looking to put his body closer to the steering wheel to increase leverage to the elbows, not the shoulders/back).

Anyone have any other non-medicinal preventive measures that could help? Note that installing a proper harness is going to be a no go.

Thanks in advance!

Gary R. 02-24-2011 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I used in my 997S, along with a CG Lock, and it worked well (referring to the dead pedal more that the others). The are from Carnewal in Belgium. A harness (using a harness bar) and GT3 seats would be better, why would he be resistant to that? Keep the 3 point for daily use. If the very occasional DE is the situation then a CG Lock,a solid dead pedal (and good heath including some stretching before going out) should be fine.

If that doesn't work velcro him in.. :D

racer 02-24-2011 09:26 PM

Slower car with lower lateral g-force limits? ;)

Gary R. 02-24-2011 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by racer (Post 8330836)

I should have said "Buy a 924"! :D

jrgordonsenior 02-24-2011 09:37 PM

Stretch before, ice when he feels any tinges. I sometimes lay on a bag of ice covered with a towel just before a race. Works wonders....

bobt993 02-24-2011 09:42 PM

I think Gary is right. A good dead pedal will help. The other thing that is not popular to hear is do some body core workouts before tracking the car. Your legs get flung around especially when your not using a race seat. What happens is you strain your lower back when the abdominal muscles can't tighten enough to keep your legs in one place.

Whosurdaddy 02-24-2011 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by racer (Post 8330836)

Well that's an answer I wasn't expecting! :p

Whosurdaddy 02-24-2011 10:11 PM

Great suggestions with the pre-ice, core workout and dead pedal. Who would've guessed you fellas would go ahead and put your engines in the wrong place (says the Corvette driver) :)

Seriously, great ideas. Thanks.

mglobe 02-24-2011 10:18 PM

Seat heaters on the way to the track will help loosen up the back muscles a bit. I did this a few years back when I was having back problems and still tracking my 997S. Really helped me.

chrisc 02-24-2011 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gary R. (Post 8330844)
I should have said "Buy a 924"! :D

Hey! :mad:

Gary R. 02-24-2011 10:47 PM

Hey, one of my best friends (hope he misses this cause his head is big enough) is the NASA Northeast racing champ in a 924... a good platform and a very good driver can do wonders... not that you are any good Viduuuccch!

chrisc 02-24-2011 11:20 PM

"'not that you are any good Viduuuccch!"

Last time I was any good was back in the '80s, and it didn't have anything to with cars....guess that's why I'm thinking of a ZO6 Corvette for DE's and leave the 924 for club racing.:surr:

michael lang 02-25-2011 06:20 AM

Part of my routine before leaving for the track is to do 30-45 mins of yoga. Helps to get my mind & body ready for the day.

mrbill_fl 02-25-2011 09:09 AM

I've used this in the right seat, with good results.

Autocross Torso Harnesses

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GFR-4290BK

PorscheDoc 02-25-2011 11:59 AM

A combination of stretching and icing is going to be the best unless he is going to change to a seat and harness setup that is going to hold him in place better. Pushing a car hard in a DE with stock seats really requires a lot of effort from the body to keep things in place and upright. Avoid using dry heat.

Stretch before the session (especially the hamstrings and quads, they can pull the pelvis out of alignment and cause low back pain when tight), and ice afterwards for 20 minutes.