Sponsored by:

Nitto NT01 - Camber and PSI Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 302 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack667
Are some of you guys driving your car to the track on these NT01s? I'm looking for a tire to take me to/from tracks that are 1-2 hours away for DE events. Seems like NT01s might be the way to go.
Yes, I am - and I also have another 3k street miles on the current set (with about 14 track days and a few more still left in them). They're not quiet. Or comfortable. But it works.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
Yes, I am - and I also have another 3k street miles on the current set (with about 14 track days and a few more still left in them). They're not quiet. Or comfortable. But it works.
+1 They're definitely not quiet or comfortable after just one track event. But they will suffice for getting to/from the track. Obviously, they're not as good as street tires in the rain. They get worse as the shallow grooves in the tread get worn off and they become more like slicks. Bottom line: in heavy rain you mayhave to either slow way down or pull over.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

Great info - thanks!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:56 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
+1 They're definitely not quiet or comfortable after just one track event.
Run a set of R888 on the street and these will seem dead silent in comparison.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:19 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
+1 They're definitely not quiet or comfortable after just one track event. But they will suffice for getting to/from the track. Obviously, they're not as good as street tires in the rain. They get worse as the shallow grooves in the tread get worn off and they become more like slicks. Bottom line: in heavy rain you mayhave to either slow way down or pull over.
Very good advice. When I drove to an event 4 weeks ago on brand new NT01s, I hit a front with heavy rain and slowed down from ~80 to ~45. Still too fast because the backend came out when making a VERY slight turn to change highways. My track experience (and luck) allowed me to catch the car ... This means in heavy rain: not safe on a highway -> pull over. I can not imagine to experience this with a used set.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:06 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Agreed. Not a rain tire.

I've recently switched to the NT-01 after two sets of BFG R1s. The Nitto seems more progressive, definitely louder both in tread resonance and squealing noises when pushed. I'm not sure they're going to last very long. Most of the tread pattern is gone after 3 track days. But they do grip nearly as well, losing only 1-2 seconds per lap. I had them heat cycled at purchase and hope they stay soft for more use than the R1s.

Rich
Old 06-07-2013, 11:23 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I have just started running NT-01's and have found they do not like as much negative camber or pressure as Hoosier R-comps or Dunlop Starspec's. I have been running -3 degrees front and -2.5 degrees rear with the Hoosiers and Dunlops, which worked very well, but the NT-01's show significant wear on the inside, and inside tire temps are running up to 15 F higher than outside.

Apparently NT-01's have much stiffer side walls than others. I am thinking that I need to reduce camber settings or just scrap running NT-01's. If you are camber limited and don't have GT-3 arms or camber plates, NT-01's are probably your best friend.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:40 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

It's probably worth noting that the NT01s (and the RA1s) you buy today are probably not the same tire you were buying with the same name two or so years ago. This is conjecture on my part, but I suspect that once the R888 came out, and the decision was made to phase out (and then, because of complaints) revive the RA1, Toyo/Nitto started building the RA1s and NT01s on the R888 carcass. The NT01s I've had more recently do not have the same characteristics as the ones I had a couple of years ago, and I've heard the same thing about the more-recent RA1s. The old 'gets faster until the cords show' rule of thumb for both tires does not apply any longer. These newer tires have a shorter lifespan and a shorter period where they're really sticky.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing?
Old 06-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
It's probably worth noting that the NT01s (and the RA1s) you buy today are probably not the same tire you were buying with the same name two or so years ago. This is conjecture on my part, but I suspect that once the R888 came out, and the decision was made to phase out (and then, because of complaints) revive the RA1, Toyo/Nitto started building the RA1s and NT01s on the R888 carcass. The NT01s I've had more recently do not have the same characteristics as the ones I had a couple of years ago, and I've heard the same thing about the more-recent RA1s. The old 'gets faster until the cords show' rule of thumb for both tires does not apply any longer. These newer tires have a shorter lifespan and a shorter period where they're really sticky.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing?
I thought the same thing, but I've done laps that are within .3 of my PR with old tires. Also, in talking with the Nitto tire engineers, they say the NT01 is totally different than anything from Toyo. Compound, design, etc.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:26 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been through 3 or 4 sets of NT01's now and they are great, right to the cords. R888's suck *****.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Darkstar1
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 135 Posts

Where is the best place to buy NT01's?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2013, 02:23 AM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

last set on ebay, through discount tire online. hard to beat.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Misdirection
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had good luck with http://www.performancetread.com/
Old 08-12-2013, 10:00 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

Just another data point...

At ~3000 lbs with driver, and -2.6 camber, I've been adjusting the hot pressures to about 38F/39R, using the crude method of getting the tires to rollover/wear to the little triangle mark. Probably not an best way to measure ideal pressures, but I don't have a pyrometer to do it right.

Interestingly, last Saturday, my car's near identical twin (with less camber) was running nearly identical lap times, but with hot tire pressures at about 29F/30R. About 9 lbs less than the pressure that I was running.

I find it amazing that the tires were performing at such different pressures.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:01 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,165 Posts

I picked up some CCW 18s with NT01s and I'll be running them at Thunderhill in a few weeks so I'm looking forward to the experience of tracking with my first set of R-compound tires. I will be driving on them for a few hundred miles and since my car has a loud exhaust I doubt I'll even hear the tires and no rain in the forecast.

Quick Reply: Nitto NT01 - Camber and PSI Question