Bought a new Stilo Helmet Today

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:09 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I love not having to put the ear pieces in before a race.
Almost worth it just for that feature alone.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:24 PM
kfyork
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lolaman
I thought about the Stilo after seeing several clients in them this year, but bit the bullet and bought a fitted Stand21 IVOS DD yesterday at Road Atlanta.

The weight (or lack of it) and the custom fit (cheek pads, upper anterior (frontal) and upper posterior (parietal) pads of various sizes) sealed the deal.

I went for the Snell rather than the FIA 8860 and saved $750.
Let us have a moment of silence for the old Bell, that's being replaced.

"________"

Now, with that out of the way, congrats on the purchase! I aspire to an IVOS - and Maxime reminds me of that whenever he can...

Getting it painted, I presume?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Man, that old Bell has WAY too much "patina" (and perhaps a too fertile place for organic cultures to grow...) <grin>

Yep. They have to know it's me coming... <very big grin>
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all for the input composite it is in the W version ordered today. BTW Mike I run TWS on a regular basis so let me know next event you are going to and I say thanks in person. My email is charles@americanporsche.com
Old 03-13-2013, 03:44 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Update on my Stilo. The visor I bought with it has a film on the inside and it will not come off. It is almost impossible to clean and now it is flaking off in small parts. Distributor says they will warranty it, so I'm sending it in. BUT, also the bottom rubber gasket is coming apart...wearing on the HANS. Not sure what they will do about that. Haven't worn the helmet that much either..probably 4 events.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 03-13-2013, 04:32 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same issue with the visor on mine. One year old.

Ed
Old 03-13-2013, 05:01 PM
JoshuaB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was not able to get the inside visor clean since it has the anit-fog coating on it until I bought the Stilio visor cleaner...I was reluctant to buy it at ~$12 for a tiny bottle but did so at the recommendation of a good friend and it has worked well.

I have worn mine probably 50 times or so and have cleaned the inside of the visor probably close to 15 times with the Stilio cleaner and have not had any issues with the anti-fog coating and can get it very clean. I have a bunch of Crizal micro fiber cleaning towels that I found worked the best, the KimTech paper ones were horrible and left little paper deposits all over…
Old 03-13-2013, 05:53 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaB
I was not able to get the inside visor clean since it has the anit-fog coating on it until I bought the Stilio visor cleaner...I was reluctant to buy it at ~$12 for a tiny bottle but did so at the recommendation of a good friend and it has worked well.

I have worn mine probably 50 times or so and have cleaned the inside of the visor probably close to 15 times with the Stilio cleaner and have not had any issues with the anti-fog coating and can get it very clean. I have a bunch of Crizal micro fiber cleaning towels that I found worked the best, the KimTech paper ones were horrible and left little paper deposits all over…
Thank you..good info. I've tried microfiber by itself and with several other solutions and nothing worked. Will give this a try.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:56 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I have not had any issues with my visors or the gasket coming off. I did have to have a new air hose adapter install by the factory (warranty) as the aluminum connector broke loose from the top air ram housing.
You cannot clean the inside of the visors and be sure to use only poly carbonate cleaner on the outside.

I absolutely love mine and would not trade it for anything I have tried including Aria and Stand 21. The Stilo comes with adjusting/sizing pads. I got Air, Water, Electronics and the auto lift feature that I believe is mandatory in many US Pro Racing Series'.

How did you guys who have water position the mouth piece so you can get it in and out of your mouth without having to leave it in all the time or use your finger when you want a drink?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
How did you guys who have water position the mouth piece so you can get it in and out of your mouth without having to leave it in all the time or use your finger when you want a drink?
Lingual practice the description of which is not suitable for a family audience.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:52 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Online directions for cleaning:

High quality, anti-fog visors for the ST4F helmets.

Anti-fog visors do require special care.

Visor cleaning instructions: Use any brake parts cleaner found at an auto parts store, or most home good stores. Liberally spray the outside of the visor with the brake cleaner, and wipe with a micro fiber towel until clean and dry. Repeat if necessary.

To clean the inside of the visor, spray liberally with brake cleaner, and wipe in one direction only, and wipe only once with a micro fiber towel. If fingerprints or dirt remain, repeat as needed. A back and forth wiping motion will tend to leave lint from the rag on the visor.

Do not use Windex or any glass cleaner containing ammonia, as this can harm the anti-scratch coating on the outside of the visor, and the anti-fog coating on the inside of the visor.

Brake cleaner?

Haven't cleaned mine yet. I guess this is not to be done between runs .

Looks like I'll be getting the Stilo stuff. The antifog does really work, though!

Last edited by Sterling Doc; 03-14-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

I haven't had the visor film issue.
The only problem I had was the chin strap which totally frayed. This is a known issue. It was sent back to Italy for repair and it's been fine since.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:58 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I ended up buying the Stilo cleaning kit. I ruined my first visor trying to clean it with something else. Their kit works without issue, but I have not dared to touch the inside for fear I will ruin another visor. The inside feels rough. Why is that? I added the air because my glasses always fog up when I first put it on. Particularly in the morning.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Lingual practice the description of which is not suitable for a family audience.

Best post ever. Signature material right there.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
You can all stop now. The post to end all posts has just been made.

Quick Reply: Bought a new Stilo Helmet Today