Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a new Stilo Helmet Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Grrrr. Just learned that f*cking Stand21 has decided NOT to make an SAH2010 version of the F21 helmet I have, which is the most comfortable & lightest helmet I hae ever experienced. WTF is the logic of that?

Tards.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dave!

c.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:25 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was looking I noticed that Stilo is actually NOT SAH2010, but regular SA? Obviously it has the holes so I assume that just means there are no anchors integrated into the shell?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Dave, I have a Stilo helmet (they are BSI, i.e. FIA as opposed to Snell and accepted by PCA). Integrated mic and earphones like yours. One problem, rewired the audio connector to work with a Chatterbox but the sound is muffled in the student earpiece. Seems like an impedance mismatch. Check on that with the guys doing your wiring.

Best,
Old 02-07-2011, 09:34 PM
kfyork
Advanced

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Grrrr. Just learned that f*cking Stand21 has decided NOT to make an SAH2010 version of the F21 helmet I have, which is the most comfortable & lightest helmet I hae ever experienced. WTF is the logic of that?

Tards.

I think it's likely due to the fact that they will move to offering only the IVOS helmet. Having said that, I have no special insight that affords me that point of view. Just my opinion. Have you tried one? Like a freakin' potato chip on your head - in terms of weight. Awesome.

Originally Posted by schwank
When I was looking I noticed that Stilo is actually NOT SAH2010, but regular SA? Obviously it has the holes so I assume that just means there are no anchors integrated into the shell?
That is true. Per SNELL's website, no Stilo helmets currently have the SAH2010 rating.

That is not to say that some lids don't necessarily meet the standard - just that they haven't been resubmitted for the newer test. I believe the key difference is that the H&N holes have threaded inserts installed by the helmet manufacturer in the case of needing to meet the SAH2010 rating.

For your own edification, here is the SNELL SAH2010 Certification standard: http://www.smf.org/standards/sa/SA20...FHR7-22-10.htm
Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by kfyork
I think it's likely due to the fact that they will move to offering only the IVOS helmet. Having said that, I have no special insight that affords me that point of view. Just my opinion. Have you tried one? Like a freakin' potato chip on your head - in terms of weight. Awesome.

I believe you are correct, Kevin, and that is a shame. The Stand21 folks are trying to get me into an IVOS, which is noticeably more $$$. So I will probably do that.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

It is SA2010 according to the side of the box. The helmet has an M6 nut integrated where there is a slit/hole for use with Stilo brand HANS anchors.
Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Dave, I have a Stilo helmet (they are BSI, i.e. FIA as opposed to Snell and accepted by PCA). Integrated mic and earphones like yours. One problem, rewired the audio connector to work with a Chatterbox but the sound is muffled in the student earpiece. Seems like an impedance mismatch. Check on that with the guys doing your wiring.

Best,
Good to know Bob. Maybe I can work with HMS as a tester.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:44 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys... I run Motorola radios so I should be in good shape. I assume the comm kit is a mic only and you still need earbuds? Or are there speakers in the earmuff part?

I will wait a bit since my existing helmet is still passable... just see how the market plays out. But this Stilo looks pretty nice for sure.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:30 AM
JClark
Instructor

You can have ear muffs installed in addition to the mic.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Thanks guys... I run Motorola radios so I should be in good shape. I assume the comm kit is a mic only and you still need earbuds? Or are there speakers in the earmuff part?

I will wait a bit since my existing helmet is still passable... just see how the market plays out. But this Stilo looks pretty nice for sure.
It has a mic and speakers. It also comes with insert shims so that you can get the mic or speakers closer to you if necessary. I will say that the sound deadening of this helmet is huge. I'm not sure I like that!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

I'm in the market for a new helmet. How is yours working after this season, did all the comm systems work. What is the model number you are using. Thanks
Old 09-17-2012, 03:16 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I started using a Stilo this summer. I got the ST4GTW in composite. So far I'm very happy with it. The fit is great for me, and I love the integrated mic and headphones. I use the adaptor for chatterbox. I've not heard comments about the sound being muffled, but I honestly didn't think to ask. I'll have to check that out. I also got the hydration system. There's a bite valve in the helmet, and a cool-suit type connector on the side of the helmet. I keep a small camelback strapped to the back of my seat, and can just plug in to that. Works great, and it's particularly nice to be able to drink some cold water while sitting on grid.

My local vendor helped me with fitment. It turns out that Stilo's helmets tend to run about 1/2 size small. I had a medium-sized Simpson helmet that was too tight, and a large Simpson that was too big. The Stilo in large fits me great.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I have had great luck with my composite Stilo too. The connectors for Chatterbox, IMSA and NASCAR are not cheap (I need all three), but the integrated headset and hydration are first rate. I did have to tighten the screws holding the face shield on, and lost two different ones! They can be expensive to replace, so check them.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I thought about the Stilo after seeing several clients in them this year, but bit the bullet and bought a fitted Stand21 IVOS DD yesterday at Road Atlanta.

The weight (or lack of it) and the custom fit (cheek pads, upper anterior (frontal) and upper posterior (parietal) pads of various sizes) sealed the deal.

I went for the Snell rather than the FIA 8860 and saved $750.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-17-2012, 04:12 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same with the composite model. Love it. I ran a Spec Race Ford (open cockpit) for the first time at Daytona and my Bell felt like it would fly off my head. This thing fits like a glove and I love not having to put the ear pieces in before a race. It's a good call.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com

Quick Reply: Bought a new Stilo Helmet Today