17.14%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Do people cheat in PCA Club Racing?

Old 06-19-2017, 06:10 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
For years, I've thought about how funny it would be to see a mobile dyno pull into the paddock at one of the big races. How many people would suddenly develop catastrophic "engine failure" and pack it up and go home...

But since I started in 2009, I haven't seen any movement whatsoever. And it used to be proposed as a GT class rule change (hp/wt classing) every year.

Good luck!
How much would it cost to vinyl wrap an empty enclosed trailer as a mobile dyno to park in the paddock?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:15 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
How much would it cost to vinyl wrap an empty enclosed trailer as a mobile dyno to park in the paddock?

After a few fake dyno weekends I think they'll start to figure it out. You have to sprinkle a few real ones in between.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:32 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

just make an announcement on the Thursday before the race that there will be extended dyno testing during the weekend for front runners as well as random selections.
show up with said empty vinyl wrapped trailer

see who cancels last minute, doesn't show or leaves shortly after arrival and you know what you need to know

no need to do this many weekends...
Old 06-19-2017, 06:36 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,870 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
None of the PCA classes are determined by horsepower limits. So what do they do with the info? Does PCA change the entire class structure?
Out west, the 944 Spec class is run in PCA, NASA and POC with a hp cap in the latter two series. Both NASA and POC use mobile dynos, but PCA does not. I agree with you however, that it probably won't happen in PCA
Old 06-19-2017, 06:42 PM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by CFGT3
Out west, the 944 Spec class is run in PCA, NASA and POC with a hp cap in the latter two series. Both NASA and POC use mobile dynos, but PCA does not. I agree with you however, that it probably won't happen in PCA
I'm puzzled and intrigued by this resigned attitude towards a PCA position that no one seems to be able to justify or explain. Very interesting.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:19 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
No, this is my first PCA racing season. Not an expert but how would the AIM unit separate which parts of performance variations come from driver's skill and which from the car/motor?
Have you had a chance to read the latest Club Racing News as it has some articles on this issue? If you're going to the Monticello Race, I'd be happy to show you and demonstrate it in more detail.

The "black box" data program has been great in terms of identifying outliers and it allows PCA to check gearing and rev limits without the risk of blowing up engines on a dyno. Add bore and stroke checks and ECU flash compliance checks and engine and gearbox performance related issues are covered pretty well.

From my experience, there not only a wide discrepancy in terms of driver skill but also preparedness in PCA stock and spec classes. Some people change wheel bearings every 6 months and are fanatical about reducing rolling resistance and others could care less and run true junk yard motors.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:31 PM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
The "black box" data program has been great in terms of identifying outliers and it allows PCA to check gearing and rev limits without the risk of blowing up engines on a dyno.
How big is this risk? What are the statistics about engines blowing up on dynos?

Add bore and stroke checks and ECU flash compliance checks and engine and gearbox performance related issues are covered pretty well.
Not denying there are other ways to discover issues. Just curious what the resistance to dynos is all about. Other race series don't seem to have a problem with it. I'm sure they are as concerned about their engines blowing up as anyone here.

From my experience, there not only a wide discrepancy in terms of driver skill but also preparedness in PCA stock and spec classes. Some people change wheel bearings every 6 months and are fanatical about reducing rolling resistance and others could care less and run true junk yard motors.
I run a junkyard SPB motor. Are there any other motors out there?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:48 PM
987part
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Junkyard motor vs a freshly built 25k motor?

Im sure theres a difference...

Car setup, alignment and driver skills make a difference too, a big one

Some friends with 944 have 20-30k engine...

Im sure spb is the same...
Old 06-19-2017, 09:51 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

One thing to consider with respect to dynos etc are the cars that do not have cooling fans. Like most SPB's. I recall getting called into have my gears checked and they were having trouble getting the computer synced up or something and I finally had to tell them I couldn't run the car anymore and they agreed. Depending on when it's not a problem as long as it's efficiently done. Getting called to the scales right after a race can be an issue as well. We can't just let the car idle particularly when it's already hot. Just things to consider.

As a side note:

And pace laps or caution laps. At WG for some reason the pace car was crawling along. At some points we were under 20 mph and that was in sight of the pace car which means those farther back were probably stopping and starting. I almost had to just quit the race or overheat the motor. That should never be a decision I have to make. No reason for a pace car to go that slow. Of course when I brought this up to the stew I was basically called a liar and dismissed.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:55 PM
987part
Former Vendor

^why not stop the engine while waiting for scale?

Big field behind the pace car...

Even in front 10 runners, some guys are leaving gap between each other.
I recalled that at every meeting, the stewart ask us to stay grouped... some people are blind and stupid
Old 06-19-2017, 09:58 PM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by 987part
Junkyard motor vs a freshly built 25k motor?
So now I need a $25k motor to compete in SPB? Wish someone told me this before.

Some mechanics say that a good used motor is often better (more run-in) than a freshly built legal motor.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:00 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

^why not stop the engine while waiting for scale?

Big field behind the pace car...

Even in front 10 runners, some guys are leaving gap between each other.
I recalled that at every meeting, the stewart ask us to stay grouped... some people are blind and stupid
We do but there's not much time between stops and starts to cool it down.

Bigger the field the faster the pace car should go. It was mandated 35 mph. Not sure if that's new or not but it was the first time I recall going that slow. In some spots we got down to 14 mph. Too slow for a hot car with no fans.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:03 PM
987part
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by hf1
So now I need a $25k motor to compete in SPB? Wish someone told me this before.

Some mechanics say that a good used motor is often better (more run-in) than a freshly built legal motor.
I dont think u do,

But when u look at front runners, its all shop owners... im not insinuating anything, but they have the magic sauce thats for sure...
Old 06-19-2017, 10:12 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

I dont think u do,

But when u look at front runners, its all shop owners... im not insinuating anything, but they have the magic sauce thats for sure...
Old 06-19-2017, 10:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

Often times the pace car driver is some club volunteer who may or may not have ever been on a track before. They may be terrified at anything beyond 30 mph. I have raised this issue before especially in race groups that run full slicks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do people cheat in PCA Club Racing?