Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIM Smartycam Wide Angles Lens

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:35 AM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Jerry -- don't think that spike to 75 is real correction. It's only 0.25 sec and lateral G data doesn't show any real change. that is right as you go over the top of the hill after 10 at MidO and I'm think'n that would be a formula for a spin with a quick flip to the right there.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 173 Posts

Just your front wheels unweighting will give you that much of a spike, I get it at Limerock IIRC.. and great color Joe!

My engine compartment -
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2010, 07:02 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Interesting regarding front wheels unloading. I check my data and didn't see it in other laps at that location. Looks like get a randon spike or two like that every lap. ..btw, my steering has just about no play in it so I'm not sure how the unloading would cause that.

regarding color, engine compartment looks good. that's an old pic, did you finish car?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Nope, car is on hold, maybe this year.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:24 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Just your front wheels unweighting will give you that much of a spike, I get it at Limerock IIRC.. and great color Joe!

My engine compartment -
Old 12-30-2010, 10:01 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Fred

I thought Gary was giving us a sneak peak of your engine. Nice engine Gary! Hope Freds looks that nice.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
Fred

I thought Gary was giving us a sneak peak of your engine. Nice engine Gary! Hope Freds looks that nice.
Mine looks very incomplete at this time...
Old 12-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
Mine looks very incomplete at this time...
It was the elastic bands holding the rods in place that told me it wasn't quite ready to run yet...

And unfortunately with the requirement to run the stock CIS she will never look as open and clean as a carb'd or EFI'd hot rod motor..
Old 01-07-2011, 06:20 PM
observer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Observer

OK I was wrong. I went to the shop and tried changing the settings. It does not change the recorded image. Not sure why they have the option for zoom in the config area, I'll investigate.

I would contact your AIM rep and see if they can upgrade your camera since you have the pre external antenna version.
Thank mate, yeah I got it shipped over to the US to get the upgrade done, so hoping that with the upgrade the gps issue should be fixed. Its odd that the UK AIM didnt want to know and was as helpfull as a chocolate tea pot.

If a company is global, as AIM have their presence around the world, it should not matter where the item was purchased from.. just my thoughts

I do hope the GPS function is now fixed, because as you can see the speed is intermittent and the sky is clear ( my car only has an older EVO3 logger (non pista/pro) and there is no way of hooking it up to get other data.

http://www.vimeo.com/15018949

There is one question I have, I notice with the new firmware/sparty manager you can add track maps to the smartycam, would it also be able to do lap timing? anyone tested this yet? and
Old 01-09-2011, 09:00 AM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by observer
There is one question I have, I notice with the new firmware/sparty manager you can add track maps to the smartycam, would it also be able to do lap timing? anyone tested this yet? and
I don't know for sure, but I would guess if it has gps it has same functionality as standard gps software which does lap timing. On the normal gps, when you "add trap maps", all you're really doing is adding the start/finish line so it can do timing. From there after you drive the track, you can down load the gps data and pick off places you may want to do split timing. ...actually, if you've driven a track with the gps on and saved the data, you can download that gps data of the track and pick your start/finish line and split locations. I don't recall how that was done; someone at AIM USA tech told me last year.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:01 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have not worked with EVO 3. The Smarty Cam does the GPS functionality since the last firmware update, which threw me for a loop, as I couldn't get the GPS Manager to work. As you suggest, the Smarty Cam should give you lap timing on the video, not sure if it sends that info to Evo 3. I can ask my contact here in the US about the EVO 3 if you like.

Nice track in your video. Much smoother than most I go to in the states. Post a picture of your camera mount, I'd like to see it. I think we can improve the quality (movement) of the video. I think I'll do some research on the EVO 3 also. Maybe I can help get some data on the video as well. Were you using an external microphone?

Cheers
Old 01-09-2011, 10:08 AM
jordanAiM
Intermediate

SmartyCam does show lap times in the video. Make sure you all have the latest version of SmartyManager. We have incorporated GPSManager in SmartyManager. It is now a button labeled "Tracks". Simply connect SmartyCam to you lap top and launch SmartyManager to control all of the GPS functions including coordinates and track maps.

If anyone has questions about AiM products please don't hesitate to call either of our offices:

VA (540) 342-9681
CA (951) 674-9090

And if you have SmartyCam questions call either office and ask them for my number. I don't work in the offices and I just don't want to post my cell in public.

Lastly, with all of you AiM products make sure you have the latest firmware and software installed.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:24 PM
observer
Intermediate

I have not worked with EVO 3. The Smarty Cam does the GPS functionality since the last firmware update, which threw me for a loop, as I couldn't get the GPS Manager to work. As you suggest, the Smarty Cam should give you lap timing on the video, not sure if it sends that info to Evo 3. I can ask my contact here in the US about the EVO 3 if you like.

Nice track in your video. Much smoother than most I go to in the states. Post a picture of your camera mount, I'd like to see it. I think we can improve the quality (movement) of the video. I think I'll do some research on the EVO 3 also. Maybe I can help get some data on the video as well. Were you using an external microphone?

Cheers
My Evo 3 is on its last legs, as the throttle trace does not even work, I think there is an issue with the interface box that we have in the formula renault, it is a go between the Evo 3 logger and the ECU. The TPS on the car works fine.

I have decided to replace the unit with an Evo 4 which should make the who Smart Cam operation much easier and I will get brake, throttle and revs as well.

Silverstone is very smooth circuit, as its a FIA grade 1 track for Formula use, the best we have in the UK., If I run the video full screen it does seem line rather than having smooth edges and likes, they are more jagged.

I am running the std Smarty Cam mount and cradle. See blow.

Once I receive the wide angle version I will make a mount for the top of the roll hoop as it would be a much better view head on as well as being able to see the front wheels. Similar to the video below, we used the same mount to make this video, but we experienced a lot of vibration at low revs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV5O8ztKKsA

Ideally I would be happy to sell mine and get the new GP version as its a lot more compact and would be ideal for my car rather than having a huge camera which the Smarty Cam is.

Last edited by observer; 01-09-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, the mount setup that way will really give you some serious vibration. Running the arm horizontally like that will usually make the vibration much worse.

On the Renault is that a CF intake (or is the bodywork CF)? If so that is probably part of the GPS reception problem. The GPS doesn't see through the CF and you're taking away 1/3 to 1/2 the satellites that the camera could use and as you go around the course you'll be blocking the ones you have locked onto and will start the searching process all over again.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 PM
observer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jordanAiM
SmartyCam does show lap times in the video. Make sure you all have the latest version of SmartyManager. We have incorporated GPSManager in SmartyManager. It is now a button labeled "Tracks". Simply connect SmartyCam to you lap top and launch SmartyManager to control all of the GPS functions including coordinates and track maps.

If anyone has questions about AiM products please don't hesitate to call either of our offices:

VA (540) 342-9681
CA (951) 674-9090

And if you have SmartyCam questions call either office and ask them for my number. I don't work in the offices and I just don't want to post my cell in public.

Lastly, with all of you AiM products make sure you have the latest firmware and software installed.
I have now the latest version, the above video was made in September, so as I understand the lap time option was not listed.

Can you give us any more info on the Smarty Cam GP?

Also will there be any firmware upgrades to improve the picture quality? I have noticed the lines can be jagged when using full screen on a pc or a HD tv.

Quick Reply: AIM Smartycam Wide Angles Lens