Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Cayman Interseries (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/598113-cayman-interseries.html)

ZSA Motorsport 10-24-2010 06:32 PM

Cayman Interseries

Evening. I wanted to toss this out there and see what kind of responses it generates.

I was at Sebring/HSR this weekend running my Interseries Cayman. A nice field of about 18,20 cars. Pretty awsome weekend.

Anyway, at the drivers meeting we had a discussion about the future of the series, and where the drivers want it to go. One of the ideas which was discussed was opening up the field to Gen1 or other Caymans.. sort of like the Platinum and Gold classes in Patron GT3, etc.

The Series, it appears , is currently tied into HSR as we get a pretty good amount of track time, and HSR lets us race strong and treats us pretty dang good. plus we can get like 2 sprint races and 2 fat enduros often.

Anyway, my question i guess is...if they opened up the Series to a "gold" class, Gen1 caymans race prepped to a certain standard (i'd imagine PCA or SCCA standards would be sufficient from a safety perspective, though not sure how the mods/upgrades would flow)....would you guys be interested?

total hoot being out there with a huge class of caymans on some really neat tracks, mixed in with some gorgeous historics being allowed to race hard without fear of getting a 13 for rubbing someones bumper.

20 cars was cool . 40 would be wicked .

Anyway, just curious what you guys think??

WHB Porsche 10-24-2010 06:53 PM

What would be done about Cayman vs. Cayman S?

mooty 10-24-2010 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by spg993tt (Post 7999123)
Evening. I wanted to toss this out there and see what kind of responses it generates.

I was at Sebring/HSR this weekend running my Interseries Cayman. A nice field of about 18,20 cars. Pretty awsome weekend.

Anyway, at the drivers meeting we had a discussion about the future of the series, and where the drivers want it to go. One of the ideas which was discussed was opening up the field to Gen1 or other Caymans.. sort of like the Platinum and Gold classes in Patron GT3, etc.

The Series, it appears , is currently tied into HSR as we get a pretty good amount of track time, and HSR lets us race strong and treats us pretty dang good. plus we can get like 2 sprint races and 2 fat enduros often.

Anyway, my question i guess is...if they opened up the Series to a "gold" class, Gen1 caymans race prepped to a certain standard (i'd imagine PCA or SCCA standards would be sufficient from a safety perspective, though not sure how the mods/upgrades would flow)....would you guys be interested?

total hoot being out there with a huge class of caymans on some really neat tracks, mixed in with some gorgeous historics being allowed to race hard without fear of getting a 13 for rubbing someones bumper.

20 cars was cool . 40 would be wicked .

Anyway, just curious what you guys think??

dude, FIRST thing is open it up to ppl who are not in HSR.
HSR is not active on west coast.
two of us wrong coaster and very early cayman adopters tried to get one of the cars when it first came out. lots of "difficulties"... then we gave up.

and having ONE shop allow build the car is ........... *(^@)%(&()Q*
i asked about where to source the wing... ah.. it's PROPRIETARY.... WTF.
this attitude is worse than PMNA. if i want to get raped, i much rather just deal with PMNA as i already know how big a dildo i need to accept.

letting Gen 1 cars in wont make it grow faster. finding the right drivers who are/were dumping money into it and building a car up in a month or two was the key. you will have a LOT of issues with rules. keep a close tab on SM racing, top guys will run both gen cars depending on track. you cannot equalize the cars.

of course, you know me well from our PM's. this is not directed at YOU, but at the interseries....

yes, to say i am a bit PISSED OFF... is an understatement.

mooty 10-24-2010 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche (Post 7999159)

LOL, you see, we got issues already.
but i am all ears.
there should also be a diamond class where GT3 drivetrains are allowed in the cayman chassis, no?

TeamDrugMoney 10-24-2010 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by mooty (Post 7999173)
and having ONE shop allow build the car is ........... *(^@)%(&()Q*
i asked about where to source the wing... ah.. it's PROPRIETARY.... WTF.
this attitude is worse than PMNA. if i want to get raped, i much rather just deal with PMNA as i already know how big a dildo i need to accept.

John, you really should be more open with your feelings :D

TRAKCAR 10-24-2010 08:26 PM

LOL :corn:

cgomez 10-24-2010 09:24 PM

You know my answer...

Halving the entry cost (Prep 06 vs. Prep New Cayman S), for sure will increase participation initially of the few that have a vested interest like me (already own a Race 06) plus the ones who do most of their own Racecar-prep work.
However, running costs would be the same, so what needs to happen is for the original Interseries cars to depreciate and trade hands (just like GTC classes in PCA) and you will start having big Cup-Car like fields in 3 years.

But the #1 driver for future participation is being part of a ProSeries. That will definitively increase the pool of cars that will be available (just like cup cars and GS GrandAm cars) for Club Racers going forward.

Plus Mooty is right on the money on the big issue with the "Interseries". There's nothing special about those cars, is just like "Microsoft vs. Open Source".... it makes no sense to do that for Club Racing...

cgomez 10-24-2010 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche (Post 7999159)

Why, if you need Spec-"slower" there's already Spec Boxster. Make the Cayman series as fast and light as it can be. A good bridge between stock cars and Cup Cars.

Long term running costs, including the car, of S vs. non-S is basically the same.

mooty 10-24-2010 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney (Post 7999428)
John, you really should be more open with your feelings :D

i am an open book. simple, lazy and easy to read.

mooty 10-24-2010 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by cgomez (Post 7999600)
...Make the Cayman series as fast and light as it can be. A good bridge between stock cars and Cup Cars.

Long term running costs, including the car, of S vs. non-S is basically the same.

there, you should move out the the left side of the country, especially that now rad left. we need more CRAZY ppl out here.

WHB Porsche 10-24-2010 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by cgomez (Post 7999600)
Why, if you need Spec-"slower" there's already Spec Boxster. Make the Cayman series as fast and light as it can be. A good bridge between stock cars and Cup Cars.

So what's your answer - only Cayman S? I have no horse in this race...

Krokodil 10-24-2010 11:37 PM

Certainly open.

This is something we have envisioned from the begining of CaymanSpec (race prepped Gen 1 Caymans S). We have made provisions is the CaymanSpec regulations to allow for Gen2 / Interseries cars to run with us in the POC if any find their way out west.

CaymanSpec is a slightly different level of prep, but we can certainly make it work. No need to create another spec, we can just create equivalency for the two we already have.

That said, I understand Jim's perspective. Interseries is for a different buyer (more arrive and drive type it appears), which is one reason why we created CaymanSpec for the more typical club racer.

Cheers,

ps - CSR #3 on track today at California Speedway. Spent a couple of sessions working with the happy owner

sleder 10-24-2010 11:59 PM

We need to get this rolling for the 2011 season. We need to get this organized and have a place for Gen 1 CaymanS's to coexist within a sanctioning body. Allot of the effort has all ready be done. HSR is a fun place to race, but so is PCA, NASA, SCCA.

cgomez 10-25-2010 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche (Post 8000031)
So what's your answer - only Cayman S? I have no horse in this race...

Yes, Only S (the faster one). Also, I think there are more S than non-S cars out there in the used market.

Juan Lopez 10-25-2010 10:43 AM

SPG I was there this weekend too (and terrorized some Caymans and got terrorized by some too....).

I think you would attract a lot of other Cayman owners to come in but it will all depend on how they get classified. That is the problem in all racing series be it PCA, PBOC, HSR, ....

For example, on HSR i race against John's Chevron (in my same class) when that car laps 6 to 7 seconds a lap faster (and I'm usually the fastest 2 liter 911 out there). If classing of none PNR Cayman's will put them at a distinct disadvantage, you will scare away a lot of potential competitors.

I for one, think that one could build a Cayman to the exact same specs as the PNR ones for a fraction (salvage title, ...) and thus (in theory) should be classed the same. The next thing would be access to the same upgrades (software for example).

Seeing all of the Cayman's out there is cool and they have proven to be reliable. Most of them finished the 4 hour enduro yesterday. Most everyone brought a ringer to sit in and it showed on the timesheets.