Sponsored by:

FS: Soon! 996 C2 Tranny.. Freshened

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:46 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Default FS: Soon! 996 C2 Tranny.. Freshened

I have a spare tranny from my old 996 C2 Koni Car getting Freshened right now by J3. The 5-6 Synchro's are being replaced and otherwise the entire unit has been looked over and is in Excellent Condition. I haven't determined a price yet but this can be a spare or additional tranny for someone to purchase and have it geared specifically to your liking if you wish. If so now is the time to let me know... Otherwise I'll have a C2 geared Tranny next week officially FS.

Pics to come.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:06 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 201 Posts

Please keep me in the loop with regards to pricing. I was under the impression there really weren't any options to re-gear these boxes. Do you know of gear sets being available?
Old 10-06-2010, 12:27 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Rob a Austrailian company named Albins makes gears and R & P's for our cars in varying ratios. The parts are quite expensive unfortunately. G-Box and California Motorsports both carry their products....
Old 10-06-2010, 02:07 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

G96/00 or later ?

Albins has had regear parts out for awhile but unless you are into changing transmissions for each track you go to then you will probably find that you will always suffer at some of the tracks.
Now if you just ran 1 track all the time then a regear could be a big advantage if figured properly.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:24 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Must be the 02 which then means later, unless they used an early box for lighter weight which I guess would be possible.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:34 PM
007DT
Drifting

I'm guessing an 02'. That is what my Koni was converted to.. I'll call the shop.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:42 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
G96/00 or later ?

Albins has had regear parts out for awhile but unless you are into changing transmissions for each track you go to then you will probably find that you will always suffer at some of the tracks.
Now if you just ran 1 track all the time then a regear could be a big advantage if figured properly.
Obviously it could never be perfect, but wouldn't a re-gear be better than stock nearly everywhere?

My top speed at Road America was 145. I've hit 152 at TWS. I've never shifted above 5th gear. Why not gear 6th to about 150 or 155, then shorten everything below accordingly? That should provide for a boost in perforance and would still allow me to hit max speeds everywhere I might run except for maybe Daytona.

There may be some corners where I am in between gears, but I have that problem now. Other than having to shift more and the cost, what is the downside?
Old 10-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Obviously it could never be perfect, but wouldn't a re-gear be better than stock nearly everywhere?

My top speed at Road America was 145. I've hit 152 at TWS. I've never shifted above 5th gear. Why not gear 6th to about 150 or 155, then shorten everything below accordingly? That should provide for a boost in perforance and would still allow me to hit max speeds everywhere I might run except for maybe Daytona.

There may be some corners where I am in between gears, but I have that problem now. Other than having to shift more and the cost, what is the downside?
None. Will that be cash or charge?
Old 10-07-2010, 03:56 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Ok, so you kinda answered your own questions here already. Other than having to shift more and cost more $$$$ why would you ?

Well, are you currently between gears mid corner or a place of significance ? - If this were a one track car or gear box this would matter but since we (you) drive many different tracks then you will pretty much always find yourself in a bad spot.
Now if we drove only short,slow speed,autocross style courses, then yes, short gears for sure. Or if we only drove long big straight speedways, leave the big MPH box.

Do you currently run out of the engine powerband or find yourself looking for more power ? Do the up shifts drop the motor out of the power curve ?
As I recall from your dyno that motor has a pretty nice flat torque curve and I am guessing that you rarely, if ever, find yourself in that position.

The stock gears based on the numbers are good for 187 mph ( i'm figuring a 26" tire and 7000 rpm), but the short gears top out at 157 mph. So now you are shifting up AND down much more and running your motor up to it's max gear/rpm limit all the time. Sounds like much more potential for something to go wrong when you never really had an issue with being out of the power (torque) curve anyway.

I say save the money and don't buy the short gear set, in this situation I don't see the huge gain in it.
But here may be an option for you. Set up one of your cars, say the 911 for shorter autocross tracks, and set up the 996 for the longer high speed tracks. Then bring your weapon of choice dependent on which track you will be at.

You know, that I know, the 996 can be faster. I think your 996 still needs some tweaking to be at it's full potential. Maybe we can compare some data to see some of the differences. I bet the difference isn't in the drag race.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:28 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Certainly more to be found in my car from other methods but I do find myself losing the drag race when I compare myself to Bill Woods and his short gears. He gets a jump on starts and initial power out of turns. I can catch up on the latter part of the straight, but often the initial jump is what is needed to gain the advantage with regards to track position. Would love to have a fighting chance on the start as well.

Your idea of the two cars is interesting. When I had the tranny rebuilt in the 911 earlier this year I went with stock gears because I did not trust the extra shifting on a 915 box. They are fragile enough. I'd be more comfortable with the 996.

BTW, my box got very notchy and noisy between 3rd and 4th durin the last race at ECR so I am pretty sure the synchros are tired and it's time for a refresh regardless.

Viking, you are also part of my off season plans to help get more out of the car.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 PM
007DT
Drifting

She's Wide open,,, Speak now or she'll be geared as a C2.. W/ Fresh Synchros... I also noticed today that it has the hook up (nozzle) for a trans cooler already in place.. If you are doing enduros all you neet is to run a line from your cooler...

Dave R.. I do take Charge (PayPal) and she's only 20 yards from your car!! Calling your name. I'll even work a deal to co-drive your car in the Sebring Enduro

Number off the side G96001007685
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2010, 10:19 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Viking, you are also part of my off season plans to help get more out of the car.
I'm paying him to make you slower.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:36 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Let me pre-empt this with, sorry Bill.

Did Bill finish the race at Miller ? - Out with trans./clutch problems.
Did Bill finish the race at ECR ? - Out with trans./clutch problems.

To finish first, you must first finish. Sometimes all those extra shifts take a toll. That toll can be on the equipment or it can be on the driver in fatigue which can then equate out to other mechanical and driver errors.

His initial jump out of the turns is a totally different issue on your car which will be addressed as part of the off season plan.

While I agree the 915 box is more fragile, there are many other options available for that box while the 996 only has 1 other set of options.

We can talk more in person or PM later. Or text me or call this weekend, I will be around working in the shop.

Certainly more to be found in my car from other methods but I do find myself losing the drag race when I compare myself to Bill Woods and his short gears. He gets a jump on starts and initial power out of turns. I can catch up on the latter part of the straight, but often the initial jump is what is needed to gain the advantage with regards to track position. Would love to have a fighting chance on the start as well.

Your idea of the two cars is interesting. When I had the tranny rebuilt in the 911 earlier this year I went with stock gears because I did not trust the extra shifting on a 915 box. They are fragile enough. I'd be more comfortable with the 996.

BTW, my box got very notchy and noisy between 3rd and 4th durin the last race at ECR so I am pretty sure the synchros are tired and it's time for a refresh regardless.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:01 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Agreed about the extra shifting. I nearly always choose the higher gear when in those in-between corners, in part to reduce the wear on car and driver. Another reason is to avoid the upshift on the following straight, which allows me to stay full throttle the whole time. (Perhaps the reason I catch-up further down the track).

What do you think about swapping in a 4.0 R&P instead of gears? John, hadn't you looked into doing this?

David - hope we aren't taking your thread too off topic. Hopefully you see the comments as free bumps to the top. Of course that may be bad for potential buyers like me.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:40 AM
007DT
Drifting

David - hope we aren't taking your thread too off topic. Hopefully you see the comments as free bumps to the top. Of course that may be bad for potential buyers like me.
No worries.. As long as it gets sold... This was my justification for the Motons on the GT3..

Quick Reply: FS: Soon! 996 C2 Tranny.. Freshened