Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: Soon! 996 C2 Tranny.. Freshened

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 04:32 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think staying in the torque curve is the most important thing, especially when you have an x51 car like yours. Being in that next gear and saving the shift is I believe the smart way to go.

When I compare where we set our fast times to others the big difference I see is in the cornering speed, entry, mid, and exit. Needless to say that none of the gears will help that out much.

With all the inherent weaknesses in the stock 996 gearbox I worry about stressing it out additionally in any way. My opinion is a stock box, with a strong LSD and a good high end fluid to help with the stresses and temps.

With that being said, and keeping in mind that you do many events away from your home track, I think the value in keeping a spare gearbox around would be very smart, as well as complete clutch,flywheel, etc. It's not like you are going to loose the money, you will always be able to resell it to someone. I had a racer at ECR that could of used a spare had someone had one available.

Originally Posted by jakermc
Agreed about the extra shifting. I nearly always choose the higher gear when in those in-between corners, in part to reduce the wear on car and driver. Another reason is to avoid the upshift on the following straight, which allows me to stay full throttle the whole time. (Perhaps the reason I catch-up further down the track).

What do you think about swapping in a 4.0 R&P instead of gears? John, hadn't you looked into doing this?

David - hope we aren't taking your thread too off topic. Hopefully you see the comments as free bumps to the top. Of course that may be bad for potential buyers like me.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:24 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

pm sent

Quick Reply: FS: Soon! 996 C2 Tranny.. Freshened