Old 10-05-2010, 11:50 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
Always at the ready.
Just trying to interject some humor, before the thread takes a left turn towards H&N Jihad.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:55 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

This is duck soup for any second year engineering student -- even those who later become lawyers.
Via Duck? Why-a not a chicken? - Chico
Old 10-05-2010, 02:41 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yrh... Ok...

Now my head really hurts. I can understand principles of motion and force, but not from technical explanations. I need farmer, real world, hands on examples. So if my feeble brain has this right, the shear is a linear load, like the head travelling forward and the belts holding the torso back, and the bending is a rotational one, like an offset hit where the torso hits the belts and torques the torso sideways towards the impact?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:09 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fair enough, John.

Walk over to the tool shed and grab a broom. Now hold it out in front of you, with both hands touching, such that it is horizontal. You can generate the three loads by,

1. Pulling you hands apart (axial load, tension in this case),

2. Attempting to snap the broomstick (bending load), or

3. Pushing one hand away from you while pulling the other toward you (shear).

This is three loads applied to one axis, the horizontal one. Imagine three broomsticks, each on a different axis, somehow welded together at the "origin" where they meet. Now apply the three loads simultaneously to all three axes and you get an idea how smart was Mr. Mohr that he could calculate the net stress.

(Please, no torsion comments out there. It makes my head hurt.)
Old 10-05-2010, 03:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

....Now apply the three loads simultaneously to all three axes and you get an idea how smart was Mr. Mohr that he could calculate the net stress.
SFI and FIA are not students of Mohr
Old 10-05-2010, 07:12 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fair enough, John.

Walk over to the tool shed and grab a broom. Now hold it out in front of you, with both hands touching, such that it is horizontal. You can generate the three loads by,

1. Pulling you hands apart (axial load, tension in this case),

2. Attempting to snap the broomstick (bending load), or

3. Pushing one hand away from you while pulling the other toward you (shear).

This is three loads applied to one axis, the horizontal one. Imagine three broomsticks, each on a different axis, somehow welded together at the "origin" where they meet. Now apply the three loads simultaneously to all three axes and you get an idea how smart was Mr. Mohr that he could calculate the net stress.

(Please, no torsion comments out there. It makes my head hurt.)
Yes;

I think I see. So, would I be correct in guessing you see the highest shear loads immediately after the start of negative acceleration, followed closely thereafter by the highest bending forces as the head rolls forward, and then highest axial tension near the end of the episode as the upper torso has essentially rolled into a horizontal position? I drew a diagram, and knowing what I know of biomechanics, it got me thinking.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:14 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
SFI and FIA are not students of Mohr
Why... yes they are;

Mohr bureaucracy & Mohr money.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Why... yes they are;

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Why... yes they are;

I stand corrected .
Old 10-06-2010, 12:23 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes;

I think I see. So, would I be correct in guessing you see the highest shear loads immediately after the start of negative acceleration, followed closely thereafter by the highest bending forces as the head rolls forward, and then highest axial tension near the end of the episode as the upper torso has essentially rolled into a horizontal position? I drew a diagram, and knowing what I know of biomechanics, it got me thinking.
Ah yes, timing. In a baseline test (no H&N restraint) the neck tension peaks at about ~50-60 milliseconds post impact, at the same time the peak rear bending force occurs. Peak forward bending occurs, along with peak shear, ~ 80ms.

The HANS neck tension plot is not smooth; it peaks at ~45ms and spikes again at the 65ms mark. The peak shear is at ~60ms.

The dampers in the Isaac design cause a tension, compression, tension sequence to occur, which slows things down. All three peak loads -- tension, bending and shear -- occur around the 80ms mark.

The best way to illustrate all this would be to overlay the time plot(s) on the crash video, but I don't have that capability at hand.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:31 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ah yes, timing. In a baseline test (no H&N restraint) the neck tension peaks at about ~50-60 milliseconds post impact, at the same time the peak rear bending force occurs. Peak forward bending occurs, along with peak shear, ~ 80ms.

The HANS neck tension plot is not smooth; it peaks at ~45ms and spikes again at the 65ms mark. The peak shear is at ~60ms.

The dampers in the Isaac design cause a tension, compression, tension sequence to occur, which slows things down. All three peak loads -- tension, bending and shear -- occur around the 80ms mark.

The best way to illustrate all this would be to overlay the time plot(s) on the crash video, but I don't have that capability at hand.
Hmmm...

That brings more questions...
Old 10-06-2010, 03:23 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Am I the only one wondering what sobering accident occurred at VIR last weekend? I hope everyone's OK ...

Scott
Old 10-08-2010, 01:07 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

From what I've read, there was a big off at T-1 to the inside. Both driver & instructor had to be medevaced. Instructor was released same or next day, no detail on injuries. Driver was in ICU for several days, sustained brain injury and may be released soon.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:55 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

GBaker,

What if the ultimate SFI38.1 hans type device just had dampers on it? It seems like lack of single release is the big problem with Issac which I have always liked by the way. Why can't you make a HANSish device like defNder, and hutchins hybrid and put dampers on it? So you would design your own non-patent infinging collar to hold dampers. Then you would have all the qualities a damper provides and single release all the sactioning bodies want. What is so special about rolling anchors connected to the shoulder belts? Sorry for being a simple mind but I just don't get it.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:42 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
GBaker,

What if the ultimate SFI38.1 hans type device just had dampers on it? It seems like lack of single release is the big problem with Issac which I have always liked by the way. Why can't you make a HANSish device like defNder, and hutchins hybrid and put dampers on it? So you would design your own non-patent infinging collar to hold dampers. Then you would have all the qualities a damper provides and single release all the sactioning bodies want. What is so special about rolling anchors connected to the shoulder belts? Sorry for being a simple mind but I just don't get it.
Well...

I'm not GBaker, but I did talk to him on the phone the other day. The baseline problem with the HANS concerning its performance is that you can't necessarily keep it under the belts. To adopt that design platform is to defeat the bedrock performance advantage of the Isaac. I would guess this is a compromise that Isaac is not willing to make. To some extent, that might be a shame, as the Isaac certainly has many other advantages in performance beyond that. If the yoke would stay in place, the addition of the Isaac dampers would be an improvement of the breed. I'm studying some three axis load graphs right now, and it is enlightening. Neat stuff!

Quick Reply: head and neck safety