Sponsored by:

hubstands?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:29 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hubstands?

curious, does anyone make a product that lets you bolt the hubs to a stand when you're doing alignment, wheels off, thus avoiding th eneed of turntables, etc..

i thought i had seen some in a porsche magazine.
someone i had spoke to yesterday said he had fabricated a set and it made aligning the car significantly smoother.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:05 AM
87_944s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
curious, does anyone make a product that lets you bolt the hubs to a stand when you're doing alignment, wheels off, thus avoiding th eneed of turntables, etc..

i thought i had seen some in a porsche magazine.
someone i had spoke to yesterday said he had fabricated a set and it made aligning the car significantly smoother.
They are kinda pricey but yes someone makes them... and strangley enough they are called hubstands lol http://www.bbxracing.com/product_inf...products_id=69
Old 09-21-2010, 11:29 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mantis has them, too: http://www.mantissport.ca/tabid/55/P...0/Default.aspx
Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 AM
JClark
Instructor

The Hubstands ones are really, really, really nice.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Is it just me, or wouldn't those be pretty easy to make out of 1/4" steel plate + some angle iron, for significantly less than $1000?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:48 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to find out this winter. Have some flat and angle stock in hand and plan to make a set. The good news is they make ajustments easy with no wheel in the way. One down side is you have to use good slip plates with them or they just bind the susp when you set the car down. With tires you can roll back and forth and jounce a time or two. I have been tinkering with the sliders you can get at home depot and other places to move furnature with. They come in large sizes and slide well against smooth surfaces even when loaded up hard. 2 sliders per corner working on a section of steel "C".

All in all considerting the fab up time needed to get a set to the same standards and use as the HubStands $1K is not too far off the mark.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm confused.
When using these, isn't the suspension unloaded?
They work based on the premise that there is no change in alignment once the wheels are on and the car is back on the ground?
Old 09-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I'm confused.
When using these, isn't the suspension unloaded?
They work based on the premise that there is no change in alignment once the wheels are on and the car is back on the ground?
The hubstands are "on the ground" supporting the car and as kurt said a good slip plate so you don't deal with any bidnding issues.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:17 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Friend is on about his third version on them for his USTCC Acura. (Also previously run Speed TC.) He's found it wasn't as easy to "just make" as he first thought.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Ernie J
Pro

I have been using them for 2 years at mantis, yes , we did help in prototyping the idea. The idea came from the fact its a pain to do corner balancing and alignment on porsche 944's. Torsion bar adjustment ,toe adjustment, camber adjustment, all behind the wheel/tire, with 3" of room.

Now , with our cayman, we get at the coilover nuts for spring perload, right in your face, not hinden behind at wheel/tire. Also can get at toe and camber adjusters. you can also see/look at your scales readout.

We have designed adaptors so we can use our alignment machine heads (infared) to do the alignment readouts, these bolt on the HubStands. These HubStands just make car setup easier and faster.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:14 AM
JWERION
Advanced

Here is another company that makes something similar to "Hubstands" but with wheels that allow the suspension to settle and each corner also has a hydraulic gauge for corner balancing. But in the photos they just don"t seem as stout as the Hubstand units, but I really like the all in one concept.

http://www.sherline.com/alignsys.htm
Old 09-23-2010, 04:59 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Originally Posted by JWERION
Here is another company that makes something similar to "Hubstands" but with wheels that allow the suspension to settle and each corner also has a hydraulic gauge for corner balancing. But in the photos they just don"t seem as stout as the Hubstand units, but I really like the all in one concept.

http://www.sherline.com/alignsys.htm
Rollers are key to release any binding...but I would go one step further and put them on zero-friction guide rails. This will allow you to stay in the exact same position and still keep everything from binding up.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:19 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

can anyone show a picture of a bearing design which could go on the foot of a hubstand and move 360 degrees? You would need some kind of bearing trapped in a cup.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:35 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

www.hubstands.com

I dont have them but I thought about them...
Old 09-26-2010, 06:45 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen these in use. It is a pretty slick design.

Quick Reply: hubstands?