Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with damaged Fikse wheel - can anyone make use of it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:01 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default What to do with damaged Fikse wheel - can anyone make use of it?

I have a Fikse Mach 5 3-piece wheel(10x18) that has a damaged outer lip (split about 1" perpendicular from the outer edge) and (I believe) a twisted barrel.
Is there any good use for these? I am thinking someone might want to repair or cannibalize it.
We decided not to repair the wheel; by the time I pay for the replacement pieces, it wasn't worth it.
Suggestions (not looking for the 'make a coffee table out of it' type - though its pretty enough)?
Thanks; this was on my 1995 993 narrow body; I don't know the offset but the back space measurement is 8"
Old 09-19-2010, 03:28 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

hang it in the garage - put a hose on it, air compressor hose, etc. I need one for that exact use if you dont want it
Old 09-19-2010, 07:00 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

sounds like scrap to me.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:54 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What happened Rick, you hit a couple of the famous Boston potholes?
Old 09-19-2010, 09:46 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
What happened Rick, you hit a couple of the famous Boston potholes?
No way is the track car ever going near that place!
I was actually surprised that they were damaged; a gentle ride up on the curbs at LCMT is all it took. The split lip may have been a result of a stress riser leading to metal fatigue; who knows?
I have just ordered a set of CCW wheels; much stronger I am told (and, they were ordered, built, and shipped all in the same week).
Next event Hudson Valley at the Glen late September, then NJMP with Delaware, then its on to maintenance season.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:03 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Rick, is there any real validity to those claims of the CCWs being much stronger than the Fikses? Are you comparing a 3 piece with a deep dish/wide lip to a 1 piece with very little offset?
Old 09-20-2010, 11:31 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Rick, is there any real validity to those claims of the CCWs being much stronger than the Fikses? Are you comparing a 3 piece with a deep dish/wide lip to a 1 piece with very little offset?
Well, I'm no engineer, but I have friends that are.
The CCW wheels I am getting are single piece and have less offset (if we are using that term properly here), so they are inherently stronger.
Or so I am told.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Fikse Wheels
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Well, I'm no engineer, but I have friends that are.
The CCW wheels I am getting are single piece and have less offset (if we are using that term properly here), so they are inherently stronger.
Or so I am told.
Single piece wheels are not inherently stronger than multi piece or 3 piece wheels. When you say "less offset" do you mean that the offset of your wheels is incorrect and therefore sit in the incorrect position in your wheel well? I find it very difficult to understand how a complete set of another brand of wheel could be less expensive than the rebuilding of a single Fikse wheel. If you need a single rim half it is less than $300.00. Please call or email me directly to discuss your options.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:47 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some 13 spoke Fikse 3 pc. wheels with cracked center sections. Since yours are 10 spoke centers I think I could use them to fix mine. My rims are ok. P.M. me
Old 09-20-2010, 05:23 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Fikse Wheels
Single piece wheels are not inherently stronger than multi piece or 3 piece wheels. When you say "less offset" do you mean that the offset of your wheels is incorrect and therefore sit in the incorrect position in your wheel well? I find it very difficult to understand how a complete set of another brand of wheel could be less expensive than the rebuilding of a single Fikse wheel. If you need a single rim half it is less than $300.00. Please call or email me directly to discuss your options.
Hi Alan
Thanks for jumping in here; your support as I work through the damaged wheels has been great and much appreciated.
No question that the rebuild of the Fikse wheel would have been cheaper than buying a new one or a new set (we have a replacement wheel on order from you and I hear will be delivered around 10/1).
I had been looking at buying a used 3rd set and decided to just buy a new set.
I don't think I was implying that my offset is wrong, only that the new wheels will be less dished than the very attractive Mach 5 or FM-10s that I am used to. I may have improperly used the term offset if I did.
Really glad that Kodiak has kept the Fikse line alive and well; its a wheel that I have admired (and owned) for a long time. Thanks for your continuing support.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

My question about the style of wheel and relative offset was more about how a deep dish 3 piece wheel with a wide outer rim could possibly be more prone to damage than a single 1 piece where the spokes are on the outside part of the wheel offering more rigidity. My use of offset in this case was incorrect.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:45 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

alan helped me find some spare parts to fix my 3 out of 4 severly damaged wheels. with used outers and a couple of new inners, I was able to rebuild the wheels for much less than $1000. the centers are the most expensive part, costing near $1000 or more each. if the centers are bent, just buy new ones or used ones if you can find them. 40 bolts later, you have like new wheels.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:21 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Mark
You are right - Alan is very helpful with spare parts. I am glad to see that these are still available.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes these wheels are "too" repairable. I was given a set of Fikse FM10s for free that were in an accident and had some strange widths. Had Fikse check the centers (all were good) and replace some of the barrels and for only $2100 I had a great set of free wheels.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: What to do with damaged Fikse wheel - can anyone make use of it?