Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance drinks for the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 03:14 PM
JClark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking hydration only, this is my latest experiment with the help of a sports nutrition friend: http://www.nuun.com/what-is-nuun.html
Old 09-14-2010, 03:25 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
I've tried gatorade, G2, electromix, and plain old water, and can't distinguish between them very much. But on the advice of a friend who is an endurance cyclist, I tried cytomax this past weekend. During the course of the day it didn't seem to be any better or worse than anything else, but later in the evening, there was a huge difference in my overall energy level. IMO, cytomax has an edge when it comes to the dehydration recovery phase.

Note: There are several cytomax products. Most are for protien and muscle building, but the one I'm referring to is for hydration and is called Cytomax Performance Drink. http://www.cytosport.com/products/cy...ctomax-powders

Not sure what nuts/almonds do, but perhaps it's no different from saltine crackers. Eat these throughout the day to maintain a robust desire for water intake.
I didn't drink enough of it to tell if it helped or not, but I really liked the taste of the cytomax. I'm going to try it out.

Here's what I typically do to help with hydration.
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2010, 03:40 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HEED or Accelerade.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:31 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Talisker

(Mindy)
Old 09-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Old 09-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

nuun... hmmm... reminds me of Enlyten strips: http://www.enlyten.com/electrolytes.asp

And also the stuff that my Dartmouth classmate's company (CamelBak) sells called Elixir: http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recre...xir/berry.aspx

The key thing is to know that water by itself may not be optimal, and that both not enough and too much water can put your health in peril
Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Also note that CytoSport makes Cytomax, and is owned and run by Scott Sharp's father-in-law and long time TransAm racer Greg Pickett. Greg runs an Porsche RS Sypder in ALMS... I'd guess that team does not drink Gatorade at the track.
I forget what Pickett was into ~30 years ago when he was doing Trans-Am and SCCA in GT1 at a national level. (I was helping with an HP car, there was the SF contingent that would be at all the tracks.) But it was definitely an MLM health product plastered all over the car.

So we DO know that Muscle Milk is based on breast milk? I can't stand the stuff, I refused to put it in my machines, and only after Pepsi took over distribution and made us buy the stuff do the (now) owners of the vending company sell it. And not that much............
Old 09-14-2010, 05:10 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe I have been told/read/heard that "COLD" water is not good. Room temperature is much better for you. Obviously out of the car and cooling off it will help...but not good for digestion/absorption.

I'm sure this can be confirmed or contradicted with a little research or someone on here may already know.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:23 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Its almost gotten to the point where I can predict what you will post.
Now I am working on how long it takes to post it.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:25 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TR6
My opinion on energy drinks is that lack of energy is a conditioning issue, not a drink issue. If you find yourself worn out and tired, taking in chemical stimulants in the form of an energy drink is merely masking your real problem.
I'm guessing that you're referring to things like Red Bull, but just to clarify...

Red Bull and other caffinated drinks stimulate your nervous system. They may give you "energy", but they do not replenish the fuels your body needs to produce muscular energy. For that, you need carbohydrates and sugars. Carbohydrates are useful for prolonged exersion. Sugars are useful for short stints.

The problem with dehydration is that it depletes sugars. That is why Cytomax and other sports drinks contain fructose/glucose - in order replace the sugars that dehydration depletes. Thus it is possible to feel an increase in energy levels with these drinks - because without them, your body has nothing to burn for short term energy needs.

As an aside, most people know this process of burning sugar to produce energy as "metabolism". And as most people also know, metabolic rates (or efficiency) varies greatly across individuals. In addition, competing sports drinks use different forms of sugar (which also affects metabolism). That is why some drink combinations work well for some and not at all for others. And have you ever noticed that some people sweat more profusely than others? Sweating depletes electrolytes, so if you lose a lot of fluids through sweat, you might want to look into drinks that emphasize electrolyte replacement. If you think about it, there is no such thing as the perfect sports drink for everybody.

Mahler9th - good and objective info! Thanks!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Its almost gotten to the point where I can predict what you will post.
Now I am working on how long it takes to post it.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

There are a lot of myths out there and lots of unsupported information. For example, the relationship between caffeine and hydration has been studied by Larry Armstrong and others... and it is not what people would expect.

Like many fields, when you start to track the connections, the list of world thought leaders gets really small. And many of them are friendly and supportive. The world is small... here is an example...

When I was investigating hydration measurement, I discovered that there is one sport where hydration testing is absolutely mandatory for all athletes at least once each season: college wrestling. They use urine specific gravity. Awkward and messy. This led me to the national wrestling coaches association... the main man there took my call immediately and pledged to try to help us learn if our approach (conceptually a simple oral test with a thermometer-like device) could at minimum replace the urine-based approach used in wrestling. To do this we needed to raise money (Cantimer is a start-up).

He had some contacts for me... scientist Craig Horswill at Gatorade/Pepsi (a fellow WI native and a really good guy), Ronnie Lott former 49er, and a founding partner of the local Crosspoint VC firm. When I looked into Crosspoint, I discovered that Flying Lizards principal Seth Neiman is a managing partner!

I do not know Seth Neiman, but I race with Tom van Overbeek in the Porsche Racing Club, father of founding Lizard Johannes... so I asked Tom if he knew whether Crosspoint was actively investing... and so on.

Now its is just too funny that Johannes is racing for Scott Sharp, and hence is related to CytoSport... A high school friend who lives nearby is married to a OB doc that I think delivered a bunch of Pickett's progeny, and so on. Now that high school friend is the sister of one of my oldest high school friends that is an ultramarathoner from WI... went to grad school in physiology at U of I likely at the same time as Horswill... my buddy ran the western states 100 a few times, and maybe was a subject for one of Doug Casa's research projects... and Casa works with Amrstrong at UConn...

Anyway, they key thing is to be informed. Not by advertising, but by science. And there is a lot of great science out there. Don't underdo it, and don't overdo it.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:15 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ervtx
I'm guessing that you're referring to things like Red Bull, but just to clarify...

Red Bull and other caffinated drinks stimulate your nervous system. They may give you "energy", but they do not replenish the fuels your body needs to produce muscular energy. For that, you need carbohydrates and sugars. Carbohydrates are useful for prolonged exersion. Sugars are useful for short stints. ...
Yes, Red Bull and the various copies of Red Bull out there are exactly what I was thinking of. I'm no expert, but that stuff doesn't seem healthy, especially not when you are fighting dehydration. But I still see a lot of it at the track.

I agree on the sugars and carbs. That is why I drink regular gatorade and not the sugar free version. But who knows, I could be kidding myself. Maybe the sugar in gatorade isn't the right kind of sugar. As I said, I'm certainly no expert.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Medically speaking, you want to balance your "ins" and "outs." Therefore, drinking your own urine should work out well.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:53 PM
techno99
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Medically speaking, you want to balance your "ins" and "outs." Therefore, drinking your own urine should work out well.
Only if you don't sweat...

Quick Reply: Performance drinks for the track