Sponsored by:

NASA CHAMPIOJNSHIPS - ROLL CALL

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
This is what I was wondering.....since I am building a GTS2 car now..... So I will have to raise my benchmark to SpecBox times.....
Actually a little faster than Spec Box if you want to compete on a National level. I believe Vali ran a non Spec Box to be able to raise it up a notch for National competion. At a regional event the Spec Box should be a strong competitor as is. In the Texas region I believe if the top 5+ area Spec Boxsters guys ran in GTS2 they would all beat the current GTS2 guys.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:17 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pete
Tyler Palmer, 16 years old and only in his 5th race ever in a car, came in 2nd place at the nationals in the 944 spec class. Although, he's not my kid, my 12 year old daughter raced against him this past November at the California State Championships at Calspeedway. Tyler won the State Championships, my daughter came in 7th.

Good to see karters making an impression right away transitioning to cars!!!
Tyler was seriously fast as was another young driver out of Phoenix - Austin in the 47x car is 15 (I'm pretty sure he hasn't turned 16 yet).

These guys show great maturity on track and are a pleasure to race with.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:55 PM
jsh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
New track record for GTS3 also for us. Needless to say we had a good weekend.
Congrats Jay & Viking!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by jsh
Congrats Jay & Viking!!!
Ditto!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

dp35 was one mistake (4 off at Tooele Corner on last lap from the lead) away from being the national champion in SM. And this was his first time at Miller and he was racing the chief driving instructor at Miller. Great job Darin!
Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is one for the record books: the starting grid for the GTS5 Championship Race was 1-2-3 guys from Arizona, ALL in new cars!!
Two of us drove our cars for the first time that week during the open track days and Chad who won the championship race drove his for the first time during the qualifying race.
The funny thing is, the Arizona Region of NASA does not have a GTS class!!

PS we finished 1,3 & 4.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:06 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I believe Gorden had some engine problem, I am sure he will let us know once he gets back to Cali and settled in. The heat was taking it's toll on a number of cars at the event, I got lucky and realized it early and changed a couple things to try to keep things cool, which seemed to work for us.

It was very unfortunate for John since he was running so well up to the final race, and he is a very nice guy and great racer. It was very good to finally meet him and put a face with the name.
Yea my motor said 'see ya' downshifting for T5 on lap 6. I had a 4.5 second lead at the time and hadn't starting pushing the car yet. It was hot and windy down that long straight which affects the lower HP cars like mine (280) more than those 400HP Corvettes. Data says no over-revs, water temps around 220. Car starts and runs, just a terrible miss and no power. Most likely a valve or related head issue.

On the plus side I won both qual races by sizable margins (14 and 5.5 seconds), and broke the ST2 track record by 1.3 seconds. Barring incident I was on track to win class....

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting gentleman such as Viking and Jay, and wished we could have raced together. I signed up late Saturday to run GTS4 starting DFL. I really was looking forward to that challenge....

Oh well, some days chickens, some days feathers. Perhaps Mid Ohio next year...
Old 09-21-2010, 10:56 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hooyah Viking! Congrats to you guys!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 PM
MelanomaMan
Instructor

Smile GTS Nat'ls Vid

Nice job Jay, and the rest of the group!

Here's some in-car video further back in the pack of GTS3: http://www.vimeo.com/15300188.

Cheers,
Brian

Quick Reply: NASA CHAMPIOJNSHIPS - ROLL CALL