Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pls Help Diagnose a Spin?

Old 08-28-2010, 11:14 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Track grip, contaminants, debris at track out on turn 2? Just thinking about environmental factors given the demise of the 458 at the same place.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:39 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unwind the wheel dude.
Don't lift when you start to spin, that was easy to correct. Listen to the engine, you lifted.
R888s are squirmy when new, how old are the tires? Assuming that's not the case you simply exceeded their traction and didn't compensate properly
Old 08-28-2010, 12:09 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

Guys--thanks for the detailed feedback. I know I have a lot to learn and am glad I came here before I run the car into a wall doing some donkey stunt.

Redline: there's so much info in your nugget of a post I'm reading and re-reading it to visualize how it should've played out!

As suggested by 38D and pete, here's a regular (full speed) video of the same spin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L00BgwlsIfU&hd=1
Old 08-28-2010, 01:59 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My opinion of your track position has not changed. You most definitely lifted after stabbing the throttle pretty hard coming out of T1. Car was unbalanced and not interested in going where you had the wheel turned. You said they instruct you to take T1 early which should push you out wider to get a better radius into 2. Your way too tight entering 2 to accomplish this and you nailed the throttle before approaching the apex. My advice would be correct T1 entry and get a better line into 2. Car should be pointing further up the track on exit. Glad the car damage was min.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:33 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard a definite lift, bob's right about the track position
Old 08-28-2010, 07:17 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,476 Likes on 2,266 Posts

fulls speed video helpful.
bob was right about positoin.
also, like redlineman said, there are a series of things that can be "learned/fixed". i am learing every time i am out there. but you REALLY DONT UNDWIND.

when you did the first apex, you are probably way below limit of ahesion, so the car didn't drift out. but even if it didn't drift out, you whould guid the car ALL THE WAY out to track left by unwinding.
since you didn't unwind you are very tight to the 2nd turn, you could have realized that and try to ride it out by hugging inside and do a lot of countersteering to get out (not good, but you are doing damage control now). also, it depends on WHEN you realized the rear was sliding out. pro's will detect the impending slidle, mortals like me feel the slide after it slid. if you feel the movement early, a quick countersteer with no throttle change would get you safely out. if you felt the slide too late. you are just there for the ride.

the BUTT feel eventually comes.
like redlineman said, maybe you advanced too quick to r compound? i dont know.

i moved slowly through tires. took me 7 years to move to hoosiers then anotehr year to slicks but unlike other who told me that those tires dont give you warnings, i felt plenty of warning on any of those tires. i think that's probably b/c i stayed with slower tires for so long and developed BUTT feel.

if this make you feel better, i unwind slow too. that's one thing i am working on. i also creep into a turn, i am well aware of it and try to fix that. now you LEARNED you have lazy unwinding hands.... so REMEMBER that and fix it.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:45 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

As a lot of people said, you pinched the corner when tracking out. This in combination with the lift gets you into trouble. Just check your video if this is a "habit". If it is, you have a key focus area beside the steering wheel grip. From my experience, I would stay on street tires until you have worked some of the basics. This will make you faster safely at the end.

I strongly recommend reading this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Going-Faster-M.../dp/0837602270

Good to see that you did not get into trouble ...
Old 08-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,429 Posts

Okay I am going to go a little a against the grain here and say your throttle lift happened after the back end was already hanging out and did not cause the initial lose of rear end grip.

IMHO I agree with the others that the combination of being way out of position in the corner and trying to accelerate from that bad position with the wheel turned in too sharply is what caused the rear end to lose grip. Work on your line through this corner by letting the car drift further out in the first half and then gently arch through the second half and fully tracking out.

All in all though you got the car stopped before you hit anything, sometimes it is hard to catch a rear end slide and you are just going to spin. It happens to the best on occasion.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:24 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

CREx, if you want some more time learning this sequence come to the East..... coast and we can help you work on this scenario on our local track. Your attitude is great and you will only get faster. GT3 RS nice ride.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:45 PM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would put less blame on your line. Getting on the right line and having car control skills are two different things, and they arent related. One is developed on a skid pad, the other on a race track.

You spun bc of physics, not your line. Based on the video, you went to full throttle at the apex. As you were tracking out, the car was fully loaded and then you slowly began to lift out of the gas. This gentle lift(i) transferred weight to the front tires and (ii) took weight (ie, grip) away from your back tires. Normally, this wouldnt have been an issue; however, you transferred weight while the car was approaching the limit of adhesion, which is why the rear started to rotate slightly. Once you felt the rear rotate slightly you did the classic "full lift", which exacerrbated the problem of having less grip in the rear and sent the car into a spin.

As others have mentioned, your hands were also very slow - once the car is sliding you need fast hands (slow hands are to prevent it from sliding in the first place). You should also avoid letting go of the wheel when you start to slide/spin - it's tough to catch a slide when you dont have your hands on the wheel.

Also keep in mind that you are driving a car with a heavy rear weight bias, so a loose tail is going to swing quickly, particularly when you induce trailing throttle oversteer (aka "lifting", "snap oversteer", TTO).

Glad you kept it out of the wall!
Old 08-28-2010, 08:55 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Most incidents are the combination of events that precede the actual drama. Mr. F, I hope your not instructing as this is why instructors help prevent such a situation from happening.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:09 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
As suggested by 38D and pete, here's a regular (full speed) video of the same spin:
Much better. I actually quite like Mr Fizz's explanation. The lift and the pinch would have been fine in isolation, but in combo created the spin. Just remember, a 911 basically has infinite rear grip if you stay on the gas.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Much better. I actually quite like Mr Fizz's explanation. The lift and the pinch would have been fine in isolation, but in combo created the spin. Just remember, a 911 basically has infinite rear grip if you stay on the gas.
This is a plain, simple and accurate explanation.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:06 AM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for my own edification, were stability control and traction control disabled?
Old 08-29-2010, 01:24 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I think everyone has missed the obvious problem that the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pls Help Diagnose a Spin?