Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have a Porsche and a Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:40 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Loved my C5 Z06 as a track car, didn't like for the street though. Car was very fast, especially on race tires on all-square setup (305 width on 18's). Needs better brakes, but the drivetrain was pretty much bulletproof.
Got to drive an early production C6 Z06 and it made the C5 Z06 seem slow.
If I did get a Z06 again, I'd look at the C6 Z06 and put on some StopTech brakes.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:42 PM
mrepka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
They are a very different experience than driving a Porsche. The best I can describe it is that in a really fast lap in a Porsche, you feel like the car is slipping and sliding, but it wants to stay on the track. In a Corvette, it's about 100 near death experiences and the car constantly wants to vault itself into oblivean.
He he... Fun aint it!

Pounded the hell out of a Corvette in DE's before jumping in the full race thing. They offer lots of bang for your buck, consumes brakes and rotors and tires at a pretty good rate, but in stock trim it's still pretty cheap to run.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Z06 is the new 944 turbo. Best bang-for-buck around.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:26 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C5Z for bang of the buck speed award. Hard to go faster for less money. You can get them in the low 20's. Thinking about picking one up for a DD. I love the white ones. The interior on the C5 is sloppier than the C6, but to me has more corvette character. Feels really connected to the pavement because you are sitting so low to the ground.

My C5 coupe ended up being trashed by a garbage tuner so It blew a nearly diamond studded 427 motor two times so I got rid of it, but I'd still get another one in a heartbeat.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:55 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

C6Z is a massive step forward over the C5Z... and haven't changed too much since '09, so you can swing a heckuva good deal on one of those used or NOS on the lot still. Controls got a lot better for the track in '09 (particularly brake tuning), I would definitely bias towards one of those.

The C5's just seem a little unweildy and less stable/linear than the C6, particularly on braking. They require substantial mods to get to the level of a stock C6.

The Z06 is definitely the nicer car for the track, vs the ZR1 (unless you can swing a Z07!)... the ZR1 is very tricky to drive at the limit unless you use the PTM, in addition to the cost. Don't get be wrong, it's perfectly at home on the track and can take more abuse than the Z06, it seems... it's just not as wonderfully linear as the Z06.

I found it a lot easier to come up to speed in the Z06 vs. the ZR1.

That said, the Z07 is the ultimate track Corvette.

HTH...
Old 08-12-2010, 10:52 AM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a C6 Z06 that I tracked heavily for 2 years. Absolutely great track car. Out of the box it needs pads and rotors (you'll chew through the stock ones in half a day) and something other than the stock run flats (I ran Hoosiers). At that point it'll be more or less bullet-proof, very easy to drive, and extremely fast. The only other thing to think about is a harness bar or partial cage of some sort. The stock Corvette seats have no lateral support whatsoever. If you attempt to do a track day using the standard seats and standard 3-point belt, as soon as you start pushing the car you'll spend a lot of your time getting different perspectives of your car's interior (from on top of the center console, while pinned up against the door, from under the dash.... ). Definitely invest in a harness bar and a 6 pt harness at a minimum.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:40 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Minoclan
I have been doing some non-PCA driving events with my Porsche track car. I noticed immediately that the Z06 and ZR1 Vettes are getting around the track pretty quickly. Considering the prices today it is awful tempting to add a Z06 to the garage for track days. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
A Z06 will go good with your goatee and gold chains.

Try a driving coach or a good instructor. Your car is plenty fast for you.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DM993tt
A Z06 will go good with your goatee and gold chains.
That attitude is weak, ignorant and no longer holds true. The modern Vette is a very capable car. Add a few track worthy goodies to it and it is very quick. The Corvette keeps getting better as it ages. The ZR-1 is simply astonishing.

C
Old 08-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Machismo
Intermediate

/\ +1 - Especially when Lingenfelter has massaged them.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chads996
That attitude is weak, ignorant and no longer holds true. The modern Vette is a very capable car. Add a few track worthy goodies to it and it is very quick. The Corvette keeps getting better as it ages. The ZR-1 is simply astonishing.

C
Wellllll. It's not like the Vette and 997 demographic is exactly the same. It's definitely closer than it was 20 years ago, but there are still more mullets in Corvettes than there are in 997s. And by that token, there are more pink polo shirts and alligator loafers in 997s than there are in Corvettes.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:55 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996

C
Even so it it still a vette... I don't care for them other than as a track appliance! I do respect thier speed and performance, but just don't like them.

Says the Porsche owner who drove his BMW to work wearing a pink polo shirt...
Old 08-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I'll take the 2010 Vette Grand Sport. Z06 body, brakes and tires and "only" 430 HP so you can learn the momentum line!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

BUT I have two Porsches also (RS Clone and a 997 C2s Cab). Don't I get some Mullet Dispensation?
Old 08-12-2010, 08:10 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

So other then needing better brakes what are track suspension options. I'm sure Moton and JRZ are options, anything else.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:59 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jaholmes
So other then needing better brakes what are track suspension options. I'm sure Moton and JRZ are options, anything else.
There are a lot of options. A good place to start is on-line; I'd suggest LG Motorsports in Texas (http://www.lgmotorsports.com). Lou Gigliotti raced Corvettes in Speed World Challenge and ALMS. They can offer you pretty good advice on setting up the car for the track...I worked with them quite a bit on my car.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a Porsche and a Corvette?