Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

greenhorn`s silly post-event questions :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is too good, I've added it my signature

Thanks for the laughs

Last edited by Sysgen; 08-04-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:36 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by f1rocks
"now, i am just curios about how fast are usually people on cars with gear ratios comparable to my 997 C2 at the entrance of turn 1?"

Now last time I looked, fast and speed are two similar subjects in the English language....

Your contradictions are quite humorous. Seriously ask for a do over. I for one would grant one.
nah, i think it went more or less OK. why to do over?

plus i got all the real answers i needed from this thread.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:40 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

With all this talk about him focusing on rpms and whatnot I am surprised this thread has made it to page 7 without anyone remarking that he's in the wrong gear. 3700rpm in 3rd gear at the track for maintance throttle driving? I don't know this track at all, but this really sounds like a 2nd gear section to me. It's not a type IV 914 with a 5800rpm redline, it's a 997S.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:46 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
With all this talk about him focusing on rpms and whatnot I am surprised this thread has made it to page 7 without anyone remarking that he's in the wrong gear. 3700rpm in 3rd gear at the track for maintance throttle driving? I don't know this track at all, but this really sounds like a 2nd gear section to me. It's not a type IV 914 with a 5800rpm redline, it's a 997S.
well, it is because i was concentrating on my speed so much that i did not even upshift to 4th gear all round a track (actually i have b honest - on 3 or 4 laps i did upshift to get a feel of it but then stopped) including straight before 1st corner nor downshifted to 2nd at 3rd corner.

but one would have to THINK to notice that, right?
Old 08-04-2010, 05:46 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
nah, i think it went more or less OK. why to do over?

plus i got all the real answers i needed from this thread.
Just make sure to pm me on those parts.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:52 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was having such a bad day until I read this thread. The stuff legends are made of.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:53 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
well, it is because i was concentrating on my speed so much that i did not even upshift to 4th gear all round a track (actually i have b honest - on 3 or 4 laps i did upshift to get a feel of it but then stopped) including straight before 1st corner nor downshifted to 2nd at 3rd corner.

but one would have to THINK to notice that, right?
Then maybe the previous comment that you are focusing too much on speed has some merit. Not using your gears and the powerband of the engine to your greatest advantage is far from the fastest way around the track. Even when I am doing a "no brakes" exercise on the track to focus on the lines I am still changing gears.

Furthermore it kind of makes your question about what rpms are other 997 owners at in the same section on the same track irrelevant. If a 997 owner did happen to answer this thread they would likely tell you something like 6000rpm in 2nd...
Old 08-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet their shock settings were all wrong though and the rubber was holding them back.
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sysgen
This is too good, I've added to my signature

Thanks for the laugh
you are welcome. people who come to auto-x and do not spin there any single time for a whole day just waste their time for nothing. add that too if you wish.
it is truly a lot of fun to do it when you know why it happens and try not to but it still happens and you are aware it may happen. every single person and car i know who came in first dozen in raw time standing - and i am at 11th place on last Sunday event which keeps my poor heart so warm and fuzzy btw, so, let`s keep lyrics short - i saw each and every of those cars to spin one time or another. complete bazaar.

but if it makes you happy and your day brighter to invert the meaning of what was said - feel free, it s a big free world and freedom of speech is still quite live and kicking.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:57 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

utkinpol: to become competent train yourself to drive in a controlled and habitual manner. ie: disciplined and conservative.

I hear engine speed and react accordingly.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

What is an Auto-X?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:00 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I should have said a few pages ago - are we getting fooled again?!
This stuff can't be made up - can it?
What's the phrase - on the Internet no one knows your're a dog?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:01 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
Then maybe the previous comment that you are focusing too much on speed has some merit. Not using your gears and the powerband of the engine to your greatest advantage is far from the fastest way around the track. Even when I am doing a "no brakes" exercise on the track to focus on the lines I am still changing gears.

Furthermore it kind of makes your question about what rpms are other 997 owners at in the same section on the same track irrelevant. If a 997 owner did happen to answer this thread they would likely tell you something like 6000rpm in 2nd...
that what i was kinda interested to know too, to some degree, when i started this. but it did not come out and will not now.

i still do not think anybody does that turn in 2nd but by now they would be too afraid to say.

as of me not changing gears - i wil say even more outrageous thing now - I did just let most other folks in the group, all of them, actually, to pass me there on long straight, so i would have nobody in the turn ahead of me and nobody behind. it worked fine and it was all about the line for those 2 days. but i still have my curiosity and made this thread, worked out quite well, don`t you find?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
What is an Auto-X?
The french call it "le Conepacking".

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: greenhorn`s silly post-event questions :)