Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

greenhorn`s silly post-event questions :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:17 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Interesting thought about spinning. In 10 years of track driving/racing, I have spun twice and off track once. I must be leaving a lot on the table................................
I'm sure you are....should we start into that now that King "jerkfest" prolly won't come back to play (kidding of course)
Old 08-04-2010, 04:19 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
You were not in my car so I take offense to that comment.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by f1rocks
I'm sure you are....should we start into that now that King "jerkfest" prolly won't come back to play (kidding of course)
See, even if you delete the post, it still goes out to all!
Posting 101 over.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

You were not in my car so I take offense to that comment.
I would ride with you but I get motion sickness.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

wow this is some thread
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I would ride with you but I get motion sickness.
And the hits just keep on coming.....that video will need to be trademarked soon....

I'm seeing a "Dicky Speedmaster is my hero" bumper sticker coming out soon... or maybe a Facebook page!!
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting thought about spinning. In 10 years of track driving/racing, I have spun twice and off track once. I must be leaving a lot on the table................................
Well,
There is something to be said for pushing hard and going off on occasion. However for a noob in a street car that just smacks of stupidity. Then again I don't look to highly on noobs talking about "set-up".
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

This thread was ruined by the #5 response.

First rule of thumb on this forum is leave the ego/attitude at the gate before asking for something here. This "jerkfest" has some upstanding helpful drovers. A little ribbing is just for fun so lighten up Francis.....

Dangit Freddy beat me to it.
i would say most people who are concerned about my attitude most likely deal with their own. but, again, too late for that now.

if i get something i cannot deal with - i ask about it, then filter 'jerkfest' away and try to find those 2c of conventional wisdom that still was not washed away by generic forum flame. this thread is no different - several people did give great info to think of, several people came to show off, some generically criticized everything and some told simply to shut up (preferrably before even asking for anything). life goes as usual. full spectrum was represented, so, apparently it is the end of it now.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:28 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

On Sunday I took someone for a ride out the pit lane on cold tires flat out inside the blend line to drill in their head how cambered T2 is, but they had their eyes closed till the bus stop. What a waste of fuel.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:31 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Oh. My. God.

On an enormous skidpad with nobody else nearby this might be an ok learning strategy. On a road course, this approach will eventually put you or an innocent bystander into a coffin (or worse). Seriously. Time for a re-think.
gosh, yet an another idiot with another idiotic 'advice' and a lecture. what 'road course'? do you know what an auto-x is? do you people even read?
what event was at NER last Sunday I am speaking about?
Old 08-04-2010, 04:32 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i would say most people who are concerned about my attitude most likely deal with their own. but, again, too late for that now.

if i get something i cannot deal with - i ask about it, then filter 'jerkfest' away and try to find those 2c of conventional wisdom that still was not washed away by generic forum flame. this thread is no different - several people did give great info to think of, several people came to show off, some generically criticized everything and some told simply to shut up (preferrably before even asking for anything). life goes as usual. full spectrum was represented, so, apparently it is the end of it now.

Winner winner....chicken dinner......

Problem with your attitude is when your on track "passing everyone in your run group, dicking with your suspension settings and spinning every two weeks"....you affect me if you take me out. No one....(including Gary ) no one was flaming you, at least in the beginning. Now you are becoming the quintessential Dicky Speedmaster (Lord by now I hope you've at least watched the video)

Why don't you leave well enough alone, ask for a do over and take some constructive criticism?

Or keep this lovely thread going. This is the most fun I've had since GR and Color were on....
Old 08-04-2010, 04:35 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

We have similarly modified cars and similar experience level. Based on your comments, we probably have similar inclination to pushing the limits. I can't speak for you, but I can comment that I, personally, suffer from lack of patience as a result of my competitive nature (competitive against myself for the most part) as I'm always trying to be as fast as I can, as quickly as possible.

When I did my first few track days, as asked some similar questions: What gear/rpm/speed are you in at corner x/y/z? The typical response was that they didn't look at their speedo/tach. At first, it really frustrated me because I couldn't understand how they progressed without using reference points. Eventually I came to realize that they had grown on a different set of references than I was using. They had moved past hard reference points and drove more based on instinct and experience listening to the car making adjustments. This is why seasoned drivers can detect slight changes in the attitude of their cars and make corrections, either manual or driver.

I've never driven the track you're asking about but I think that the easiest answer to your question without implying anything is that most of the drivers who possess the experience help you improve your driving probably don't use the tach or speedo as a reference and as such probably can't help you answer that question exactly. After all, a good driver can probably climb in anything and be fast. This wouldn't be possible it he/she used hard reference points as you're requesting.

On a similar topic, with a completely new setup, it will take time to tune it appropriately. Again, speaking for myself, I'm considering paying a pro driver for a day and having they help me with setup and my driving. The experience and ability they have to tune a car and sense a car's behaviour is worth more then any mod.

P.S. Many of the references made by previous posters, including "drive flat out, that is how i drive, flat out" and "...modified to 600 hp, i have the new macleran on order" were taken from a really funny video that went viral recently. I was actually going to quote it when I read your original post but someone beat me to it. I don't think it was personal.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:35 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey at least GR was a DE Supastah....
Old 08-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
gosh, yet an another idiot with another idiotic 'advice' and a lecture. what 'road course'? do you know what an auto-x is? do you people even read?
what event was at NER last Sunday I am speaking about?
Oooooh boy...
Old 08-04-2010, 04:36 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Winner winner....chicken dinner......

Problem with your attitude is when your on track "passing everyone in your run group, dicking with your suspension settings and spinning every two weeks"....you affect me if you take me out. No one....(including Gary) no one was flaming you, at least in the beginning. Now you are becoming the quintessential Dicky Speedmaster (Lord by now I hope you've at least watched the video)

Why don't you leave well enough alone, ask for a do over and take some constructive criticism?

Or keep this lovely thread going. This is the most fun I've had since GR and Color were on....
who cares? it is typical for people to think of other people what they think they are, and if in reality it is not so, it does not matter. none of this matters.
you say them 'a', they point finger at you and start talking about something else.
but it helps me a great deal, as it shows personality of people here and who they really are. why not. as i said before, i do not care much. most of those people i will never see in my entire life. some of other people whom i do know actually do not say much here, so, why not to put more bit more oil into fire? let it burn, good flame is always good.

Quick Reply: greenhorn`s silly post-event questions :)