Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Do You Ever Replace Your Seat Bolts?.... (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/582672-do-you-ever-replace-your-seat-bolts.html)

Martin S. 08-02-2010 10:52 AM

Do it right...

Big strong bolts to a fiberglass or CF seat?...there is the chance the seats could separate from the bolts.

If you want the best set up, you'll need a metal seat, Kirkey..somewhat cheap and off the shelf, or you have several options from La Joie seating. They provide several alternatives:
---a custom seat made to you body measurements, possibly $2,500, made in North Carolina (Where else?). You must be custom fitted to this seat and this can
be accomplished by going to the La Joie factory in North Carolina, or lucky for us on the West Coast, at David's Racing (Mike David) shop in Modesto
CA.,
---an off the shelf La Joie Road Racing Seat, about $2,000, from Mike David
---a third racing seat, around $1,500 I am getting the details on it.

Then the seat need to be bolted to the roll cage and secured to the floor pan. The floor pan is somewhat weak compared to the roll cage. The pdf for mounting the La Joie seat is on their web side. Google NASCAR racing seat and La Joie will be the first or second hit. You don't have a cage? Hmmmmmmm. Some would suggest racing without a cage is insane. In fact very, very few racing organizations will let you on the track without a cage. Just installed a Heigo cage this summer...feeling better already!

Maybe we are all nuts for racing with fiberglass or CF seats? Time will tell. The original creator of this string, John Gordon Jr. has opened our eyes to the elephant in the room. Thanks John!

Circuit Motorsports 08-02-2010 11:38 AM

Martin

There are a large number of options for seats. The 'custom' part of the seats is very easy to do in your own garage with just one fried. The 'custom' part is the seat insert and that is done with a bead seat insert. Very easy and can be done in about 2 hours. I do these for a lot of formula cars but it's becoming much more common in the production based world.

As for seats like LaJoie. I'd look closely at the ISP seats. They were the first mfr to meet the newest NASCAR seat standard with the new lateral load requirements.

If you do go with a metal seat make sure it's one of the good ones that is actually well built instead of some bent aluminum witha beaded edge. If you can bend the metal by hand, imagine the ducticle deformation it will have when you need it to maintain it's shape.

Also there is a new FIA seat certification and the loads required to meet that standard are significantly higher than the previous standard. Part of that testing involves the mounting hardware of the seat. Often the weak part of the seat mount will be the part that is not controlled by a manufacturer, the mounts to car interface.

kurt M 08-02-2010 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Martin S. (Post 7782078)
Big strong bolts to a fiberglass or CF seat?...there is the chance the seats could separate from the bolts.

If you want the best set up, you'll need a metal seat, Kirkey..somewhat cheap and off the shelf, or you have several options from La Joie seating. They provide several alternatives:
---a custom seat made to you body measurements, possibly $2,500, made in North Carolina (Where else?). You must be custom fitted to this seat and this can
be accomplished by going to the La Joie factory in North Carolina, or lucky for us on the West Coast, at David's Racing (Mike David) shop in Modesto
CA.,
---an off the shelf La Joie Road Racing Seat, about $2,000, from Mike David
---a third racing seat, around $1,500 I am getting the details on it.

Then the seat need to be bolted to the roll cage and secured to the floor pan. The floor pan is somewhat weak compared to the roll cage. The pdf for mounting the La Joie seat is on their web side. Google NASCAR racing seat and La Joie will be the first or second hit. You don't have a cage? Hmmmmmmm. Some would suggest racing without a cage is insane. In fact very, very few racing organizations will let you on the track without a cage. Just installed a Heigo cage this summer...feeling better already!

Maybe we are all nuts for racing with fiberglass or CF seats? Time will tell. The original creator of this string, John Gordon Jr. has opened our eyes to the elephant in the room. Thanks John!

This is a whole nother can O worms. I agree on the plastic seats. After seeing some safety system failures and watching in car of the Porsche factory cups with flexy seats and wobbling drivers the little light went on I went with a Kirky full containment for the new car. Many mounting points and shifted more to car center to get me further from the door X. Can just make it out in the avatar.

That said not everyone or every car can be fitted with one of them. A beer keg gave its life for my seat and full cont seats take up a lot of room. Standard racing seats feel a bit "open" to me now.

chris walrod 08-02-2010 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by M758 (Post 7780415)
A seat bolt with fail in one of 3 ways. Faituge due to crack initiaion. Overload, or the seat mount in the chassis will fail.

I would guess the bold failed in overload. In that case a new bolt would not have done anything to help. If the seat mounts in chassis failed a new bolt would not have done anything. If the bolt failed from fatiuge induced crack than replacing the bolt would have helped. However bolts are not loaded such that they are subject to fatigue. That normal torque applied loads the bolts more than the person in the seat will. As such there is not crossover point to induce Low Cycle Fatigue.

So changes are high that "old bolts" were not that cause. Unless of course these bolts were damaged in some way.

Completely agree. There are many unknown details but I would venture to guess a bending failure (or peel) from the seat mounting plates.

I am not a fan of brittle hardware and very much prefer softer stuff like NAS or AN where typically they bend at least once before they shear or fail.

Most important aspect of this situation is the driver is ok!!

gman3280 06-26-2017 02:25 PM

I'm putting race seats in my Cayman. Funny how this search came up as I thought about getting new bolts. Any idea what the part numbers are? I can't find them anywhere.

Der ABT 06-26-2017 04:00 PM

Pretty sure club racing requested all bolts be upgraded 2 years ago