Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec Boxster build cost?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There were two or three 944 SP1 cars running at the Eagles Canyon clubrace in May. I haven't ruled out going the 944 route at some point. But I'd prefer to find a built car rather than build from scratch. I've seen them advertised in the $8K range but never anywhere near Texas. So for now, I'm doing spec miata. If you don't mind not being at the front of the pack, spec miata is seriously cheap racing. I don't have the talent to be at the front yet anyway, so the SM arms race (a.k.a. pro engines, etc) wouldn't help me much even if I were willing to spend the money.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

I guess I should chime in.

I believe I have spent about $35k building my car including a bunch of extra wheels. The car is pretty much done except for some further weight reduction and an Accusump.

My donor car cost me $0. It was my mom's ride!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a thread on the NASA boards about guys building 944 Spec cars down in Florida. I know BJ who used to race with us moved down to Texas with his 944 Spec car. It's coming. I was the only car in the Midwest 3 years ago, and now we have about a dozen.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:55 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol

.....or is there an 'alternative' spec boxster class for 3.4L engines?
I wish there was.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
One is already racing with NASA Texas and I have one built that I just need to paint, upgrade seat,window nets, etc and then bring out to race. If I didn't have so many other customer pay car builds going on it would be out there already !
Okay, so almost no one races spec 944 down here. I'm interested in joining an already well populated class, not launching one and hoping(!!!) people will join. Bottom line is I'm looking for competition, not just people in the same class.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:40 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Okay, so almost no one races spec 944 down here. I'm interested in joining an already well populated class, not launching one and hoping(!!!) people will join. Bottom line is I'm looking for competition, not just people in the same class.
I don't think there is much question at this point that SpecBox fields the biggest group of Porsche's in Texas. It used to be E class, but it seems like SpecBox has taken over around here. The DFW area in particular seems to be a hotbed for the class, and there are some VERY talented drivers up there to run with. And you've got PCA and NASA to run with.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:55 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
There were two or three 944 SP1 cars running at the Eagles Canyon clubrace in May. I haven't ruled out going the 944 route at some point. But I'd prefer to find a built car rather than build from scratch. I've seen them advertised in the $8K range but never anywhere near Texas. So for now, I'm doing spec miata. If you don't mind not being at the front of the pack, spec miata is seriously cheap racing. I don't have the talent to be at the front yet anyway, so the SM arms race (a.k.a. pro engines, etc) wouldn't help me much even if I were willing to spend the money.
If you are interested in the 944 class I will be selling my car after getting it out there for a race or two. It should be no more than $8k and I think less unless I get real crazy with the paint. What color would you like ? It's red now, well faded red.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:53 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Greg consider build and operating costs. If you have the budget to run a boxster go for it. However if you will be pegged out by a boxster consider a 944. The reason is that if you consume on all your budget on planned expenses you will have nothing for emergency and unplanned costs. I have seen it time and time again where a guy budgets 10k to race a 944 and then finds out he is about 1k short since he forgot to budget for a HANS or something like that. Or runs out of money to run races.

The 944 spec class will be building in Texas. From the looks of thing I expect 5-6 cars by this time next year if the fence sitter jump in.

So if you can afford the boxster do it. If not don't try to get one only to find you have no more money race it. I always find it better to race slightly cheaprer car and put more money in doing races.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

The guys running in the top 3, how much wear/HC are you getting out of your tires? Can you get 2 competitive weekends out of one set?
Bringing back up an old thread, how do R888's hold up through out the weekend(assuming a new set)? When are they at their fastest? How much do they fall off?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:15 AM
2000gt3cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
I guess I should chime in.

I believe I have spent about $35k building my car including a bunch of extra wheels. The car is pretty much done except for some further weight reduction and an Accusump.

My donor car cost me $0. It was my mom's ride!
My build was about $38k including the extra set of wheels, tires and accusump.. also thinking of selling if anyone has an interest PM me
Old 03-22-2011, 10:55 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by M758

The 944 spec class will be building in Texas. From the looks of thing I expect 5-6 cars by this time next year if the fence sitter jump in. ....

Wow. I wrote this in July last year and Now the 944 spec guys in Texas are talking about 10 cars for the next event. Sorry about being so off.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...n-texas-4.html
The 944 Spec Texas group.

Originally Posted by tacovini
Season Points in NASA Texas after 2 Rounds...

1 Kevin Webb 660
2 Alvaro Fernandez 585
3 Todd Covini 579
4 B J Meyer 410
5 Chris Blazer 215
6 Philip Fromme 155
7 Todd Imwold 155
8 Clifton Winkleman 40

Racing is super close! Chris, Phil and the other Todd joined last round and despite having a few mechanical issues, were battling up front! We plan to have 10+ cars for Round 3 between a newly licensed driver, a few folks on the fence...and the throwdown challenge we threw to the Rocky Mountain guys! There WILL be at least 10 cars at our next event!

-=- Todd Covini
#2 Covini Racing Porsche

Oh... R888's. I can't speak to how they worked on the boxsters, but on the 944 spec they were a challenging tire to run. Fast early on, but got slower after 12-14 heat cycles. Sensitive to camber and driving style in that you could easily over drive them causing them to go off during a race. The RA-1s were more consistant during thier life and during session.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:46 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M758
Oh... R888's. I can't speak to how they worked on the boxsters, but on the 944 spec they were a challenging tire to run. Fast early on, but got slower after 12-14 heat cycles. Sensitive to camber and driving style in that you could easily over drive them causing them to go off during a race. The RA-1s were more consistant during thier life and during session.
Are the spec 944's running RA1's now? I love that tire!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by TR6
Spec Racer Ford. $18,000 buys a podium-capable car with extra wheels. No mods possible. Just sayin'. You wanna outspend someone or outdrive them? (Non-PCA, of course.)
Old 03-22-2011, 03:43 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Yep !
Maybe I should be selling you my Spec 944 so you can race it in PCA and NASA......
Old 03-22-2011, 04:43 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by TR6
Yes!

Quick Reply: Spec Boxster build cost?