Sponsored by:

Spec Boxster build cost?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:12 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
I still think the hidden gem in PCA club racing is the Boxster S in F Class. .
I have been saying it for a while.......
Old 07-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Check out the times from the Glen race, I think the SPBox's were faster than the SP2/944Cup cars but really don't remember..
Yup you're right! Quickest spbox in race 1 is 2:15:33, quickest 944 Cup is 2:16:051 (Chris Green which is a very very quick driver).

mmhhh, sounds interesting!

c.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
Yup you're right! Quickest spbox in race 1 is 2:15:33, quickest 944 Cup is 2:16:051 (Chris Green which is a very very quick driver).

mmhhh, sounds interesting!

c.
Charlie did a 2:14.4 in the enduro in spbox. Carl P did a 2:12 in SP3.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:33 PM
171mph
Racer

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
The guys running in the top 3, how much wear/HC are you getting out of your tires? Can you get 2 competitive weekends out of one set?
I've heard as low as 8hc and as high as 18hc before they go off. My experience (albeit very limited) in the BSR is the 888's go off after 13/14 HC. So two full weekends might be pushing it. RA1s would be nice....

So tires are the main cost - everything else seems negligible (after 5 track days including 3 race days the brake pedal is still firm (SRF), plenty of brake pad and no cracks in drilled rotors).

I had one alignment done after the build and it's still fine after those 5 days. These cars just don't seem nearly as sensitive to alignment as GT3, for example, so that reduces costs as well.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean F
Charlie did a 2:14.4 in the enduro in spbox. Carl P did a 2:12 in SP3.

The 944Cup (not supercup) is in SP2. But It gives me a good idea of the speed.

c.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I assume here is a boxster spec control document -
http://www.nasaproracing.com/series/...ster/rules.pdf

I just wonder - what actual engine repairs/mods are allowed there? it says engine should be stock but it is kinda vague definition - say if one starts with old 2.5L engine it will need new rings, etc, so, can it be machined to increase displacement or what are exact rules of this?

Also, what are rules with upper mounts? iit says in 2010 camber plates are not allowed - so, does it treat standard GT3 monoball upper mounts as camber plates?

And as i understand, any spec boxster is essentially a 97-99 car with 2.5L engines? or is there an 'alternative' spec boxster class for 3.4L engines?

just curious, I never was into boxsters racing much, so, sorry for kinda lame questions.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Spec Boxster is 97-99 2.5L cars. Engines can not be modified to increase displacement or modify intake or exhaust (headers back is open) but you can add oiling (separator) mods, underdrive pulley, Intermediate shaft mod, and an accusump should you so desire. All other Boxsters fit into the Stock classes unless they have been modified beyond those rules, then you move into GT. It's all about the rules, they are pretty clear on what is and is not allowed.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:23 AM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by utkinpol

I just wonder - what actual engine repairs/mods are allowed there? it says engine should be stock but it is kinda vague definition - say if one starts with old 2.5L engine it will need new rings, etc, so, can it be machined to increase displacement or what are exact rules of this?

displacement increases up to a maximum of 1 liter are allowed, but only 0.5 liters if a turbo or supercharger is added
Old 07-14-2010, 11:25 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Spec Boxster is 97-99 2.5L cars. Engines can not be modified to increase displacement or modify intake or exhaust (headers back is open) but you can add oiling (separator) mods, underdrive pulley, Intermediate shaft mod, and an accusump should you so desire. All other Boxsters fit into the Stock classes unless they have been modified beyond those rules, then you move into GT. It's all about the rules, they are pretty clear on what is and is not allowed.
so you can`t even bore cylinders to put next sized rings set in? how one supposed to race on an old beaten up engine with 100K miles on it?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:26 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanR
displacement increases up to a maximum of 1 liter are allowed, but only 0.5 liters if a turbo or supercharger is added
?
what supercharger? document in the link says stock engine and stock ecu only with no flashes or alterations.
are we talking here about same thing?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:34 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 171mph
I've heard as low as 8hc and as high as 18hc before they go off. My experience (albeit very limited) in the BSR is the 888's go off after 13/14 HC. So two full weekends might be pushing it. RA1s would be nice.....
When 944-spec ran R888's we could only get 12-14 HC from them. This was not good compared to the 20-30 from RA-1. So last year was a challenge on the R888. This year we are back on RA-1 and everyone is much happier.

If I were in charge of BSR I would push for the RA-1. Given your life of the R888 I would expect maybe double on RA-1 further cutting operating costs.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:38 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
When 944-spec ran R888's we could only get 12-14 HC from them. This was not good compared to the 20-30 from RA-1. So last year was a challenge on the R888. This year we are back on RA-1 and everyone is much happier.

If I were in charge of BSR I would push for the RA-1. Given your life of the R888 I would expect maybe double on RA-1 further cutting operating costs.

Same experience, and results, in the spec miata crowd.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Engines can and are rebuilt to stock specs. There is an allowance in the factory service manual for rebuild tolerances and that is what you must adhere to.

Also, what are rules with upper mounts? iit says in 2010 camber plates are not allowed - so, does it treat standard GT3 monoball upper mounts as camber plates?

And as i understand, any spec boxster is essentially a 97-99 car with 2.5L engines? or is there an 'alternative' spec boxster class for 3.4L engines?

just curious, I never was into boxsters racing much, so, sorry for kinda lame questions.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:46 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Engines can and are rebuilt to stock specs. There is an allowance in the factory service manual for rebuild tolerances and that is what you must adhere to.
what is an average price to get 2.5L engine machined back to stock specs?

PS. I`m asking because i am just pretty curious how in practice an old already drilled engine with 100K+ miles on it is capable to sustain real racing - when i was at university i had access to local racing team and they were pretty much redoing engines from scratch every other race, so, here we talk about using a very old beaten up 97-99 boxster with potentially already drilled cylinders - s0, it is essentially means complete engine rebuild after every 60-80 running hours? once drilled cylinders are not going to last long. or can they be easily depressed from a block and replaced with new ones? i do not think so... so, what does it cost actually, in reality for those spec boxsters to maintain the engine? what is its actual lifespan after each subsequent repair and when does that moment come when you need to replace it completely?
Old 07-14-2010, 12:46 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is an average price to get 2.5L engine machined back to stock specs?....what is its actual lifespan after each subsequent repair and when does that moment come when you need to replace it completely?
Run it til it shells on you and then go buy another engine (new crate or used motor).

Quick Reply: Spec Boxster build cost?